Epub Reader - Must Be Possible Surely?

tds48

Right my pandora has pretty much rendered all my other devices redundant with the exception of my apad (not ipad) which I use predominately as a epub reader.

I know there are several formats out there (lrf, txt, html, pdf, pdb ...) but I particularly like epub.

So iphone has stanza / android has FBReader or Alidoko / ipad has stanza or ibooks

Is there something out there possibly for the pandora ? Maybe there is already something there Im a muppet? (Please dont all rush to agree!)

Before anyone flames me and says - Hey learn coding and do it yourself. I am merely asking if there is something that can be ported over very quickly.

Alpha2 said:
There was one Ebook Reader Skeezix was going to look into porting but he's been pretty busy lately.

Awesome! Look forward to that

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC Jeff started working on it but ran into problems.
A different solution would be to convert epub to something else.
FBReader on my N800 can't read PDF and the PDF reader is crap so I converted my PDF books with pdftotext for example.

Do Firefox addons work on the ARM port? Because I know Firefox has an epub reader you can install, and that's what I generally use.

Wolenber said:
Do Firefox addons work on the ARM port? Because I know Firefox has an epub reader you can install, and that's what I generally use.

In general, firefox add-ons are not dependent on platform, although there are some for windows only. I believe you're talking about EPUBReader. So it would work. Even more in the author's page you can read this note http://www.epubread.com/blog/2010/03/epubreader-for-firefox-mobile/ on his work to make it work pretty in a N900. We should test it and see how it handles it self.

joseluisjazz said:
Wolenber said:

In general, firefox add-ons are not dependent on platform, although there are some for windows only. I believe you're talking about EPUBReader. So it would work. Even more in the author's page you can read this note http://www.epubread.com/blog/2010/03/epubreader-for-firefox-mobile/ on his work to make it work pretty in a N900. We should test it and see how it handles it self.

I will DEFINITELY test this tonight - thanks!

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
joseluisjazz said:
Wolenber said:

I will DEFINITELY test this tonight - thanks!

Right ... tried it now at lunch over my mifi ...

It installs fine (and can be seen in the extentions folder) but then asks you to restart firefox thats when it dissapears

maybe something to do with being wrapped in a pnd? over my head im afraid .... :(

joseluisjazz said:
Wolenber said:

Thanks a lot, I'll be looking at that as well. It'll be quite helpful as soon as Fennec starts to actually become usable on my phone. As if I wasn't excited enough with it as is.

I did a quick fbreader port but it had some issues (and that's a nasty ugly codebase!)

need to retry but I'm tied up a couple weeks

could try the angstrom one and see if it works in the meantime?

Jeff

I'm often tempted to write my own .. Ahh to have free time :)

skeezix said:
I did a quick fbreader port but it had some issues (and that's a nasty ugly codebase!)

Jeff

My hero! :) I do not mind waiting, there is still tons and tons to try (on the pandora).. but very happy to be a (serious) tester if you need it

skeezix said:

Jeff

Yeah, sometimes it sucks to be incredibly useful.

FBReader on my N900 is great, I read on it all the time. If the porting of that would be succesfull I'd be over the moon. Bigger screen, no complaints here. :)

What would be even better but probably not doable is if there could be a sync between the Pandora and the N900 to remember which page I'm at. So I can just continue where I was whichever device I pick up. :D

For PDF's the screen is too small and I can imagine the Pandora's being smallish too. I'm hoping the Nokia tablet that's been rumored will be the perfect addition to my collection of gadgets for that.

Timstertoo said:
I'm hoping the Nokia tablet that's been rumored will be the perfect addition to my collection of gadgets for that.
I haven't been on TMO for a while. A rumored tablet?
I strongly advice against it. Nokia is a shitty company. They steal your money and drop support half a year later. The hardware is of good quality, though.

mali said:
Timstertoo said:
I'm hoping the Nokia tablet that's been rumored will be the perfect addition to my collection of gadgets for that.
I haven't been on TMO for a while. A rumored tablet?
I strongly advice against it. Nokia is a shitty company. They steal your money and drop support half a year later. The hardware is of good quality, though.

I read something about it, nothing definite on anything yet though.

But if it would be anything like the N900 but then bigger I'd be game.

I can see how I'd be a happy camper with a Linux based tablet that's fully open to play with as you see fit.

Any other company building one I'd snap up too, don't care about the logo on it and I'm not a Nokia fanboy but they've seemed to hit the nail on the head with the N900. It's such a strangely non commercial device. Some of the geeks working there must've pulled some serious strings to get it in production.

It's not as if it's easy to use for the average phone owner. Anyone who thinks an iPhone makes sense is pretty much not the target audience for the N900. And seeing as the iPhone is selling ridiculous numbers for a couple of years now it was an interesting marketing decision to bring out the N900.

Timstertoo said:
What would be even better but probably not doable is if there could be a sync between the Pandora and the N900 to remember which page I'm at. So I can just continue where I was whichever device I pick up. :D

This information is saved in a simple file, so rsync works perfectly, but it needs to be run manually, and you need to close fbreader while syncing (at least on the side with older version of the files).

What I do not have is a good algorithm for automating this. Advice is welcome.

@Nokia
They kicked most of the N8x0 owners like me, who wanted a successor, in the balls with their decision to make the next tablet an incompatible mini-screen phone. They don't even provide the source code to their buggy closed parts of Diablo even though the community has set up an own repo for system updates. They talk much about open source and community, but do little. Now they won't provide an official Meego for N900 port. Fremantle is dead. History is repeating.

mali said:
@Nokia
They kicked most of the N8x0 owners like me, who wanted a successor, in the balls with their decision to make the next tablet an incompatible mini-screen phone. They don't even provide the source code to their buggy closed parts of Diablo even though the community has set up an own repo for system updates. They talk much about open source and community, but do little. Now they won't provide an official Meego for N900 port. Fremantle is dead. History is repeating.

That's all before my time. All I can say is that I'm extremely happy with my N900 which is my second Nokia after the E90.

I always go for 1 year contracts and you can extend them 2 months before the end, so worst case scenario I have a bit over 9 months left before I can move on again.

^ The N900 _is_ a nice piece of kit, no doubt. Don't listen to me, I'm just a frustrated N800 user ;)

It'll be interesting to see where Nokia will be going next with the the high end smartphone market, maybe finally dropping Symbian will give them the edge. However I suspect the problem may be a matter of branding, everyone and their Grandmother knows what an iPhone and a Blackberry is and knows that they are highly desirable products, the latest Nx99898 model doesn't have quite the same effect.

Anyway, I think the problem with support is one systematic to the industry, especially with Android phones. Manufacturers still view the OS as 'firmware' and therefore static. This is partly why I get nervous when OP insist on calling their OS firmware.

Back