• No

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • If it can do x (please state)

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
(If it can do x)

I'd be very interested in this if it can be easily used in a car, as the low power consumption will be quite useful here.

I think the most important thing to consider with an ARM device is that, as such, its greatest asset is its low power consumption and portability, not its performance (though that may change in the near future). Therefore I don't see how a Pandora based "nettop" alone is going to be popular. For low-end users there's already devices like the Acer Aspire Revo, which is only ~£150 and can play back 1080p, whilst for high-end users there's the PS3 etc.

On the other hand, if you built a SmartQ 5 style device complete with an EXT port + docking station which can equip you with VGA/HDMI, USB etc. then I think you've got a potential winner. You'd have the best of both worlds since on the one hand it's a low-price Internet tablet, but on the other hand it's also a portable nettop and PMP/HTPC capable of low-end high definition. Add a USB tuner and you've got a device with which you can record TV shows in the evening and play them back on the train.

I think the crucial aspect is that any future device must take advantage of the OMAP3530's portability aspect somehow, otherwise I can't see how it can compete with other devices.

-Si.

Maybe CraigIX & Co can build some netbook based on Pandora. Bigger display and keyboard. Only negative I see just now is secondary hires output which is standard on other netbooks. But with bigger battery it can stay few days on instead of hours.

- If battery eliminated, then system runs from power supply only.
Another epiphany occurs to me. If the battery is removed, that frees up a lot of space for the missing components: namely the daughter board with DVI, and a USB hub.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would at least make the battery much smaller.
You're not going to need a desktop running for 8 hours because your power's out / you're taking it somewhere else.
It just needs enough battery to bridge power interruptions, maybe an hour at best.

If you would make such a thing you would automatically have to compete with thousands and thousands of hardware pieces currently on the market. The Pandora almost has no direct competitors at all in its current form. I have no doubt that it will be a little commercial success. However, a Pandora Box would be something totally different.

With a little research and common sense you can build such a thing yourself for about €250 to €300. And then you would have something pretty cool, in x86 form. You would have the ability to use it as a Home Server, an Open Source gaming machine, Media Center, or an emulator machine. There is tons of (free) content out there for these kinds of devices. Something like a Pandora Box would eventually have some buyers, but I don't reckon very many. Maybe you're better off buying a Beagle Board and building it into a little case (which you could also make yourself for a few Gil). This will cost you about $175.

As said before, it has to compete with a LOT of other hardware out there. You need to specifically need to target people that are not willing to do the research and building of these kind of devices. Offer them an opportunity. It needs to have something that any other device doesn't have, else it'll fail.

The Pandora has this thing that other machines don't have. It's portable, has a nice screen, full keyboard, gaming controls, it will have much free content, etc. I don't know any other device that comes at this price, with such possibilities.

Together with a nice marketing campaign you could maybe pull off something like an Open Source video game console for big screen TVs.

- If battery eliminated, then system runs from power supply only.
Another epiphany occurs to me. If the battery is removed, that frees up a lot of space for the missing components: namely the daughter board with DVI, and a USB hub.
Maybe, but you need expose that ports and there isn't such place on existing case. In addition we need mask cut off parts (original USB and ext port braked out) and no need hinges. So new case is in needed in any case. In this case the new case can be little thicker (about 10 - 15 mm).

. This will cost you about $175.
low power consumtion also matter... there a 15w difference will cost you around 70$ more every years assuming it stay on 24/24 (a home server media box will be on permanently for me..."]
[/quote]That's also true. The Padora Box can score some points with this.

Also, if you would want to stay as low as possible regarding power consumption, I'd suggest you would only use SD memory, instead of HDD's with way too many GB's.

The main thing that would bug me with this kind of device is the Svideo output. Let's face it, that sucks for a device which is placed next to the TV or monitor. I would at least want something like VGA/DVI. HDMI would be a little overdone i think.

The main thing that would bug me with this kind of device is the Svideo output. Let's face it, that sucks for a device which is placed next to the TV or monitor. I would at least want something like VGA/DVI. HDMI would be a little overdone i think.
It's already been mentioned the LCD would be replaced with a DVI-D port on a daughter board.
An additional hurdle that they would need to cross (one I'm still fighting with on my beagle board) is the overscan of a TV. What looks perfect filling your DVI monitor looks terrible with edges cut off when moved to your TV.

I'd definetly be interested although i doubt i'd buy one in the origonal batch as i'm already getting a pandora and students dont exaclty have much money uno.
although with the drop in price i'd definetly be interested but as a home media centre over the gaming possibities as at home i could easily boot up my laptop which is more powerful and a much bigger selection of games.

although things i'd suggest if you do make this:

a sata HDD or just lots of built in flash memory enough for a decent dvd+music collection
a wireless controller to come with it to act as remote and game controller
HD output ... these days it almost seems obligetory realy although i'm not massivly fussed
more ports, multiple USB ports more SD cards/ microSD
i'm not fussed about ethernet as i've got wireless
some physicle media buttons on the cube like a DVD player
it should come with a wireless keyboard although if it has more USB ports its not essential
a CD/DVD tray ... yeh i just noticed im turning this into a glorified DVD player but this is what i'd buy lol :D

I definitly like this idea for the usage as a low-power allways-on pc/light server.
Just make the Case somewhat unversally usable, eg:
-VESA-mounting holes
-Enought room for USB-Addons or alternativly some way to permanently attach a custom made board containing these.

And @craigix:
Would you please include MWestons post regarding the daughterboard into the first post, so that people stop crying about a missing hd-output

If this is selling, I dont see why pandora cube wouldn't
http://www.gumstix.com/store/catalog/produ...products_id=227
http://www.gumstix.com/store/catalog/produ...products_id=215
That's the market we want to hit, but our unit would be cased, have the pandora controls and still have the battery in it.Why include the controls and the battery? :huh: IMHO it should not have any built-in controls and external power-brick instead!
...if people want controls for it they would have to use a USB or Bluetooth gamepad/joystick, or just keyboard and mouse :)

That should be even cheaper! ...or just use the 'saving' on extra USB ports, a network port, HDMI and SPDIF A/V outputs ;)

I want a micro-sized and more portable Pandora, with no keyboard, arranged a bit like a PSP only without the massive amounts of suckdom.

Okay, maybe not micro-sized but a Wiz/Dingoo -style Pandora would be lovely. With USB host available you could connect a keyboard anyway, if you really needed one.

Think of it like the difference between the N800 and N810.

Craigx, I think your idea is to sell the same logic board, unmodified. Just in a different form factor. (correct me if I'm wrong)

With only one USB out, and limited to 800x480 resolution, I think it's market would be very small.

It might have a large market selling it as a hobbyist device. Sell JUST the board, and make the other parts (keyboard, buttons, screen, etc.) available for sale too.

Give people a chance to find other ways to use it, and they might discover a large enough market that justifies creating an enhanced, custom board for.

That would be like the current Pandora but requiring a TV and more to play. And no keyboard? No controls?

Perhaps if the initial product was already out, I’d think about it. But now… no thanks. Sorry.

If you would make such a thing you would automatically have to compete with thousands and thousands of hardware pieces currently on the market. The Pandora almost has no direct competitors at all in its current form. I have no doubt that it will be a little commercial success. However, a Pandora Box would be something totally different.
This was my argument earlier. While it is true that they will have lots of competition (especially in the coming year as ARM really begins to kick off), OP has the advantage of being able to get one out the door with a relatively cheap development process, due to the fact that the vast majority of the work has already been done for the Pandora.

I still say that a small run would suit it just fine, if for no other reason than because they can wedge themselves into a market for cheap.

I would really like to see a home console version of the Pandora. A handheld is nice, but there are already many such devices. A truly open stationary game console would be a first. I am still not certain if I will get the Pandora. I want it, but I already have 5 portable game consoles I play regularly. However, a game console as described here I would get immediately. Especially if it becomes a lot cheaper as mentioned. A few extra USB ports would be nice in such a device though, so adding extra controllers would be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back