Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Would you be interested in a Pandora cube, which would essentially be a Pandora for the home which would be a Pandora board in a small box with a TV out cable.

You would have to attach your own controls/hub via USB.

You would have access to the same software, emulators, media players etc. only via the TV screen.

It would be around $200-$220.

Opinions?

I voted yes, but I should clarify. I would think this is interesting, but I can't guarantee I had the cash lying around to actually buy one.

"If it can..."

I love the idea, I'd probably buy one. But it would have to handle HD video. I don't really care about HD myself (I'm still running my loungeroom on XBMC), but looking at the current market for living room gadgetry, if it doesn't do HD it'll be stalled at the gate.

Probably not. I might consider it if it had HDMI or VGA out and was cheaper than the handheld version, or if it was the same price but came with all kinds of fancy HD video codecs out of the box, but even then it's a maybe and without HDMI or VGA I wouldn't even bother. There's going to be a TV-Out cable for the handheld, afterall, and I can just plug in a USB hub myself.

Edit: I see it would be cheaper than the handheld version. Still, I would need the rest of those things I mentioned to justify it.

I would not be interseted , I only want the pandora for mobile use , no blue tooth assosories , no add ons, the unit itself is all i want . Anything more and you should buy a desktop or a laptop...Bud

Wouldn't it just be the same as a BeagleBoard then?
No, it would be easier to set up (plug in and go), cased, TV based and designed for Pandora style software (ie emus, ports, media"].[/quote]This wasn't clear for every one.

If this come with :
- Real HDMI output ???
- wifi (connect to my NAS)
- bluetooth (connect with my wiimote :p)
It would be a real contender against my wii when it comme to playing video, and at this price tag I'm all in :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No due to lack of money...
And if it is that you're making it using very near the pandora board (or the same), it wont work for me... I would need DVI out.
Now you're thinking "use a beagleboard" - but the bluethooth/wifi chip would make it worth it,
eg. current board + remove LCD interface + add DVI framer (in a suitable case), then i would be interested when i have the money.

I already use bluetooth keyboard and mouse atm, and i <3 these (even though they're not the gamers choise - i'm not a gamer (that much atleast)).
EDIT: and oh please get the pandoras out before focusing on this too much :p

No, I don't think that an ARM processor makes for a useful stationary system as of the time of writing this, since most software is already precompiled for i686/x86-64 processors. The only reason I'm willing to put up with ARM in the Pandora is because it's in an awesome handheld device that doesn't have much of a choice but to use ARM. For $200 I can buy a PC that has an i686 processor and is far more powerful than the Pandora.

"If it can..."

Would it be supposed to be like the GP2X Cradle? If so, that one was designed to do some things that the main unit couldn't do, no?

Well, if you're planning on adding more USB ports to plug in more dongles/stuff then it would be interesting... and the HD that Gruso mentions.

I can't however say that I'd be getting one. (I'm finding it hard to get a Pandora! Wallet-wise.)

On the other hand, if it is planned like an alternative to Pandora but losing the portability then ... NO.
(Although it's cheaper... Hmm...)

If it was going to be a home console, then it would have to be designed to look vaguely like a home theater equipment. It would possibly need a remote and an interface made for couches like windows media center or XMBC.

Not only that, emulators would have to take it into consideration and it would need an HDMI out at the very least since its supposed to be a home console and does not have a screen. It would also at least have to be able to play common media types so it can replace my xbox 360 for video playback (possibly for mkv files or similar).

Having just a Pandora with no screen and battery would not be the way to go. It would need to be designed for the living room experience. Otherwise, it would not have any advantage to a pc you can build with $200 (integrated graphics are fine for emulators and video).

I'd be interested if it had HDMI or component output, and I knew for sure it would be powerful enough to handle HD content. If so, it'd make a sweet little set-top box kinda thing! :D

Sorry, but I don't think this is a good idea. For $100 more you could get exact same thing but portable, and that accounts for a lot of featured (pda, email, instant messaging). Maybe if it was some sort of removable cradle that turned the pandora into a stationary device and added more usb ports, ethernet port, and full card reader then it would be a good idea.

Well that's just my opinion of course but I am not really sure about that idea.

The Pandora handheld is a very special product: It's the only open gaming handhled that can be used as an UMPC. I believe there is a niche for an handheld like the pandora. It really does have advantage versus the other handheld available on the market.

Now for the "Pandora cube"... I just see that coming in competition with other cheap desktop computer. Not to mention that people can run game / emulation software on the PC their already own.
The very small form factor and low power usage of the Pandora isn't really important for something connected to the main.
I just fail to see what important competitive advantage the "Pandora box" would have.

I just see limitation (can't run Windows or X86 Linux, not a lot of game ported yet...)

It would need to something very special and very well done in term of user experience / easy of use to be even considered IMO. Also I think you would definitely need to have hdmi / dvi output. S-video just isn't good enough.

some things that would make me interested in:

-vga/dvi/hdmi output (pick one)
-Low power-consumption even when always plugged in. The power supply would have to be well chosen for minimal usage
-ethernet

I would probably buy something like this, but it would have to make a good low-power home-server AND a console for me.
Oh, and of corse, the box should be similar to the pandora-case - black ^^

edit: and I wouldn't even consider ordering anything from openpandora, until my handheld, ordered 8 months ago, has made it's way to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back