Votes: 11 31.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • If it can do x (please state)

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it had a high def outlet, I might. It would certainly be a good backup and control system, with many additional possibilites for portable computing.

I think that, if it is heavily (and I mean heavily) cut down, like no battery, no screen, not even onboard keyboard to cut the price down by a crazy margin, then it could be feasible under limited runs.

There is plenty of competition in this area, as mentioned before, so OP does not have the advantage of filling an empty niche like it does with the handheld. On the other hand, it does have the advantage of having a considerably cheaper development process, since its mostly done for the handheld project, so they can probably see some degree of return on a relatively small investment. I see the main benefit of this being a larger market presence, though. More market presence means more software support for us, and more sales in the future for them.

So in short, a box without a battery, LCD, or inputs, but six USB ports and a HDD, and a daughterboard to fulfill some other smaller benefits, while nothing revolutionary, is competitive against others in the same field if the price is low enough. I think its worth a shot (albeit in small runs).

I would be interest, but only if it has 1920x1080 res output. I prefer if its not HDMI, which is a standard implement for the purpose of DRM, no need to be on an open source device. I prefer VGA output, so it can be plugged to a tv tuner input or be recorded analogly.

I guess the thing I keep coming back to is: Why ARM?

If it is a standalone, plug and forget computer, why not get a x86 board with much better specs?

I have always thought that one of the advantages of ARM is its low power consumption... if you have a standalone unit that isn't really necessary.

I think that Small Form Factor PCs like the Shuttle SFFs would be much better at comparable prices.

Voted No.
What i would be interested in is the HD , HDD cradle. That would just kick ass.
at least 4 USB ports + Slots for more memory + HD out.
That would be perfect for every pandora user.
im pretty sure a couple of thousands of people would buy that.
And then if you guys really are hooked on money , make the pandora USB controller for a reasonable cost. ( not higher than the good usb controllers on the market )

Maximum the income
Happy pandora users!

, include two extra shoulder buttons on the "cube" part so it can be used by itself as a controller for TV-Out gaming. The cube itself would really be a smooth quadrilateral the size of a complete Pandora that you can still fit into a pocket.
[/B]
I agree with this alone. Youcould very well actually use the board you have now, add in the controls and still have a decent controller that ouputs to a TV maybe even keep the SDHC ports. Although maybe include a USB hub since multiplayer games with everyones controller plugged into a built in port on the hosts controller might be awkward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose that another use for a Pandora cube might be for those who want in-car entertainment systems. A cheap system, without hacking a handheld to bits. A few people have discussed this idea before. If your going to do that then it could be fitted to caravans and boats too.

I would like a OMAP4 based device with HDMI, WIFI, SATA, USB Hub and Media Center capabilities.

Freeview (DVB) and Freesat addon also a must I think.

Less than 1 Watt in standby!

Mame and other emulators on my TV :D

Absolutely pointless. The whole point of the Pandora, at least where I'm concerned, is that it can do what it can at the size it is being portable.

Tether it to a screen, might as well just buy a cheap PicoITX or other device.

I', Yes if x
x being HDMI, Display Port or DVI, enough to get at least 720p to the TV.
Keep the current TV-out cable connector as an option for people with out HD TVs
Stereo is fine but 5.1 or up would be good.
Ethernet port also highly recommended.

To really add value and make it very useful it should have a IR receiver and Blaster(multi-out as least 4).
Being an open platform it wouldn't be hard to it translate and relay one remote's codes to the other IR components in your system and do all sorts of other cool controlling stuff.
Optional space for a internal 2.5" USB drive, big plus.

Let get real here, there is no way in hell an open system will get a DHCP license,
so forget about connecting Blu-ray players or playing protected media streams.

Something that lets you play Linux based games, stream media and potential to record TV (via USB tuner)
all in a nice case as well...
Sounds great too me.

Add HDMI and a case that is big enough to hide a 2.5 hard drive + maybe on optical drive and that will sell me immediately (it will be a low power replacement for my HTPC). The only thing that stopped me from buying the Pop Corn was that it doesn't have the community that is behind the Pandora and that it never really focused on gaming.

My opinion....wait a year after the handheld is out and then up the spces and put it out. I would be interested then.

On the downside, Linux is unable to access the GPU on that system and its media codec support is terrible, especially for HD media that doesn't come on a BluRay disc.
I agree the locked-out GPU is a problem (though on Pandora, we're relying on Imgtec good will to provide us with something usable).
On the other hand, the Cell processor can easily handle all media streams, it just lacks some software. And Mesa Gallium will support Cell.

Oh BTW, OMAP3 is unable to do FullHD h.264 decoding with high bitrates. I also wonder how much hardware would be needed to drive 5.1 or 7.1 speaker systems...

Seriously, there are a lot of good reasons to buy a PS3, but Sony has done their best to make sure that Linux isn't one of them.

If this comment is only due to GPU being out of the picture, I strongly disagree, see above :)

Sorry but the reason I got the Pandora is because it is superior to mainstream consoles such as the psp and ds. However it could never be better than the ps3, xbox360 and wii even though its at similar prices exept ps3. But the PC probaly is better than all of these.

Would you be interested in a Pandora cube, which would essentially be a Pandora for the home which would be a Pandora board in a small box with a TV out cable.

You would have to attach your own controls/hub via USB.

You would have access to the same software, emulators, media players etc. only via the TV screen.

It would be around $200-$220.

Opinions?
It would just use the Pandora board as is, there isn't any extra work required, we are just trying to open our potential market a bit more so we might become profitable a little faster.
I voted "No" for the simple reason that I bought a device that seems to meet all these specs last year - a Pandora with the TV-Out cable etc.

I'd be interested if it could output at least 720p with a full Linux desktop and 720p MKV playback.

And I would buy it FOR SURE if it could output 1080p and decode 1080p AVC mkv files (but I don't thing it's possible for the OMAP3, even using the DSP). And also if it doesn't take too much time to release (like the Pandora).

I read mostly whole thread. There are many good ideas, but many of them are unreal. Come on guys! We have only Pandora and some skill. Now make a mod:
- Cut off lid. As MWeston mentioned, put some daughter board instead of LCD and have some optional hires output (VGA, DVI-I, HDMI)
- Make case little bigger (higher), so some internal can be mounted.
- Cut of rear USB 2.0 port and wire big USB 2.0 HUB internally. So we have at least 4 front USB ports, some internal USB ports and some rear USB ports.
- Use internal USB for attaching:
- - HDD, SSD or just flashdisk.
- - Ethernet with RJ45 plug on rear
- - IR receiver (or maybe it can be attached to some spare UART).
- Breakout external connector to TV out (both Composite and S-Video), Audio in/out, UARTs (may be converted to RS232)

We can keep or not internal battery.
- If battery kept, then it serve as internal UPS. System can be suspended, hibernated and so on.
- If battery eliminated, then system runs from power supply only.

I agree with Monk

I bought the Pandora for portability and ability to link up to TV

The concept for Pandora cube is okay but with some caveats:
  • The original proposal was for just PCB's to be available to modders
  • If the concept of Pandora cube went further you would want better base memory (for running more desktop type apps)
  • More than one USB port
  • Possibly Video connectors VGA/HDMI
  • Possibly add Ethernet
  • One option could be to change base case, then have internal/external USB connectors directed from either UART or existing USB sockets on motherboard
  • Maybe offer a linux distro other than Angstorm - such as Android/Ubuntu - something a user may want which is straightforward - looks easy and lets them do basic stuff
  • Bundle a 16GB SD card with said OS/Office/Browsing apps

The problem is price point may be too much - for something which will essentially be a netbook with/without some fancy bits - on a plus note - it would broaden base Pandora userbase and appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back