Port Of Cube 2 Possible? Pandora Powerful Enough?

kingoddball

:pandora2ut4: !!!!

I've been playing CUBE (orig) for a long time now and Cube 2 looks 10x better!

Can this be ported to the Pandora in a playable state?
I think it could even complete with Quake3 (if not better with community additions) and could have great online play.
The game's engine is open source (which is OLD news, I know) but fully customisable and it is available on all systems.

We could use our dual nubs and great controls and frag the hell out of PC users (via Wifi or 3G dongle/mifi)!!!!

Is the Pandora capable of running this?

Minimum Required: CPU: 1GHz or higher CPU RAM: 256MB RAM Video card: GeForce 4 MX or equivalent GPU.

I understand there is a massive difference between x86 and ARM cores.

screenshot_1758308.jpg

screenshot_752473.jpg

screenshot_1167156.jpg

screenshot_5409294.jpg

screenshot_5930518.jpg

Game play video
Cube2 Documentation
Cube2 Wikispaces

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have sworn there was a thread full of more developer talk on the subject, but this is an older one: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/42042-cube-2-engine-on-the-pandora/

It's highly possible, but don't expect the largest maps and those nice water reflection/refraction effects. It would still take a willing dev and a lot of work, there isn't an OpenGL ES 2.0 renderer for it.

The search option pisses me off! :angry:

I use advanced and all. It just does not work right for me! :huh:
I DID SEARCH! Oh Well, it's here now, enjoy the pretty pictures and links.

kingoddball said:
We could use our dual nubs and great controls and frag the hell out of PC users (via Wifi or 3G dongle/mifi)!!!!

Dual analogs VS keyboard & mouse, in an FPS game? You mean the other way around right: the PC users would frag the hell out of us :)

And don't expect a good experience playing an FPS game over a 3G-network; the latency is too high and to much packet loss :( I recommend MUD over 3G

People always say the keyboard/mouse is more accurate, but I find that I do much better on stick-FPS than on keyboard/mouse FPS.

Yes, keyboard/mouse users have much more accurate look sensitivity. Now, lets try to see them move at a speed other than "move."

We should settle for this

Wolenber said:
People always say the keyboard/mouse is more accurate, but I find that I do much better on stick-FPS than on keyboard/mouse FPS.

Yes, keyboard/mouse users have much more accurate look sensitivity. Now, lets try to see them move at a speed other than "move."

If you're playing on a console, most games have a sticky crosshair which helps your aim. I'm pretty sure if you directly port a PC shooter to a console and allowed both communities to play against each other, kb/mouse would win hands down.

I play Unreal Tournament 3 (newest) on my ps3 vs pc and they don't dominate. You see a lot of ps3 users kicking ass. If they're using a KB/Mouse it shows the icon.

I am 100% better on a control pad then on a KB. Never been nerd enough to be good at games on PC. Consoles are better, none of that macro or crap load of keys to remember.

Why not just defend the Pandora? Screw the KB & Mouse!

As for 3G and online games:
I use a 3G modem (piped thru its own router) and I play ps3 and Xbox360 online without lag!
Metal Gear Online, UT3, Gears of war/GoW2, Modern Warfare.. Every game I have I play online using a 3G modem! They are fine USUALLY. yes, there are dog days, but generally never lag.

The source is all there. It uses Open GL, so I don't know how much it would take to move to ES or what ever it needs to use...

kingoddball said:
I play Unreal Tournament 3 (newest) on my ps3 vs pc and they don't dominate. You see a lot of ps3 users kicking ass. If they're using a KB/Mouse it shows the icon.

Well, that might have too do with that the the PC players you are up against are either retarded or newbies. (maybe both) If you play against anyone who at least know a little how to aim with a mouse you will not stand a chance with your ps3 controller. (or whatever joypad)

I am 100% better on a control pad then on a KB. Never been nerd enough to be good at games on PC. Consoles are better, none of that macro or crap load of keys to remember.

Why not just defend the Pandora? Screw the KB & Mouse!

Never been nerd enough to be good at games on PC?
Um, How old are you- you sound like a twelve year old fanboy when saying that.

As for 3G and online games:
I use a 3G modem (piped thru its own router) and I play ps3 and Xbox360 online without lag!
Metal Gear Online, UT3, Gears of war/GoW2, Modern Warfare.. Every game I have I play online using a 3G modem! They are fine USUALLY. yes, there are dog days, but generally never lag.

What does that mean exactly "piped through it's own router"?
Maybe you don't think it's laggy, but it is. I would guess you have at best a ping around 200ms when playing online and too me that's unplayable in a fast paced FPS. Even at 50ms it's getting annoying but that's just an opinion from me who have been playing FPS online since Quake1. (with kb and mouse)

Back