Pandora board upgrade

eyecreate

Website
git.eyecreate.org
Hey guys!

I've been having upgrading my board on the back of my mind for about a year. I decided to look again recently and have found the price has dropped a bit. So I'm here now looking for opinions on what I should do. Here are some pros/cons to the upgrade prefixed with options I could take.

Pros

* More memory(something I wish I had more of many times)

* [1ghz] a bit more power (might be nice for a few games which are on the edge of needs)

* [case] a stronger case that doesn't have crumbles

Cons

* Up to a month without my pandy

* [1ghz] a bit more money for what might not be much gain.

* [case] possibly losing the 1st batch sticker/swag.

I originally thought I could just make do with what I had til Pyra came out, but since prices are lower and I could benefit a bit with memory increase(maybe more) for at least a year before the possibility of Pyra comes out, I'm wondering if I should. I'm leaning towards doing nothing, replacing with rebirth, or replacing with rebirth + case. Thoughts from all sides on what I should do?

I think you should upgrade, but then I recently chose to do so myself so i'm biased ;) . Reasons why I finally decided to upgrade,

Drastic

PPSSPP

Reicast

I chose to keep my black case, more because it's holding up pretty well (only has one small crack) than because of the first batch sticker, judging by the serial number I have Pandora #136 which is about as impressive as a gentle breeze. :D

You can also buy another classic with a small defect. https://www.dragonbox.de/en/pandora/172-classic-pandora-wifi-bt-defective.html or one from ebay / trade section.

I bought a defective Pandora from ED - without WIFI.  It is now a dedicated PIM device and for that purpose I don't need or even want wifi. 

Of course you can buy a wifi dongle and you will have a cheap additional Pandora. IMO that is worth more than an upgrade, but it depends on how often you use your Pandora and for what tasks you use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
* Up to a month without my pandy * [1ghz] a bit more money for what might not be much gain. * [case] possibly losing the 1st batch sticker/swag.
I will do your upgrade within one week.

Also you won't loose your First batch sticker.

You get your black case back with your Panodra.

At least the part with the sticker is everything else is completely unusable broken.

Your new Silver Giga Pandora will get the Rebirth and 1GHz sticker.

So you have every type of sticker then :) .

(and can put the black case with First batch sticker to a special place)

Leave a note if you don't want the Rebirth sticker on your silver case and I'll pull off your First batch sticker and put it on a silver housing.

You'll have the First batch and 1GHz sticker then (but no Rebirth one).

So there is only the money issue left :) .

Also the newer SGX and more RAM is a huge boost.

EDIT:

Don't forget:

Pro:

* Get a free Pandora pen :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded my Rebirth to a 1GHz Board. The only downside I can see is that I lost the ability to run it without a battery only using the power-adapter, which my Rebirth could do ... but I never did it before and never felt the need to do it.

From a CC unit the difference is probably a bit bigger, since I already had the same amount of RAM. But I never regret that I did it. If you like to do also desktop-stuff, browsing and so on, you will really feel the difference. Most other things just run without having to think about overclocking ever again, which is also nice. It's a more smooth experience overall.

Does one really need it? No.

Does it feel good when you do it? Yes.

^_^

* Up to a month without my pandy * [1ghz] a bit more money for what might not be much gain. * [case] possibly losing the 1st batch sticker/swag.

At least the part with the sticker is everything else is completely unusable broken.

Leave a note if you don't want the Rebirth sticker on your silver case and I'll pull off your First batch sticker and put it on a silver housing.

EDIT:

Don't forget:

Pro:

Glad to see the process is allowed to have deviations. I'm more confident about doing the upgrade. I'll prob do the rebirth+case with my old first batch sticker since I can't convince myself the money for 1ghz is currently worth it vs rebirth(an extra ~$150 or double extra the upgrade for rebirth).

EDIT:

Don't forget:

Pro:

Glad to see the process is allowed to have deviations. I'm more confident about doing the upgrade. I'll prob do the rebirth+case with my old first batch sticker since I can't convince myself the money for 1ghz is currently worth it vs rebirth(an extra ~$150 or double extra the upgrade for rebirth).
Your choice :) .

If you want the first batch sticker on the new case, please leave a note.

You'll get your old housing anyways.

Is there any improvement on video playback? 720p possible perhaps?
If there is it's not noticeable over a rebirth unit. I can play 1080p videos if they're encoded in XVID vs h264 even on a rebirth unit. H264 encoding just isn't handled well.. someone with more knowledge can fill in why.

Back