Pandora App Repository

mazza558

It'd be good if we had something similar to the app store for iPod/iPhone. I know we have a repository, but perhaps we could borrow the add/remove programs app from debian/debian derivatives, so that we don't have to go to a website to download/install Pandora apps.

There's been some discussion on this, and the statement we got from the devs is that the official distribution vector for Pandora software is .zip files. There's another thread from the same time period that dealt more specifically with the .zip vs package manager debate, but the one I linked was easier to find.

That said, I think there's a healthy portion of the community who'd be interested in an ipkg/opkt/apt/.deb style solution, based on discussion from around that time. I wouldn't be surprised to see an installer app show up within the first month or two of release.

If you're feeling particularly enterprising, you could start writing one now. ;)

EDIT: dpkg/ipkg/opkg and apt are already ported, so it should be as simple as writing a GUI for one of those programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
_Sterling said:
There's been some discussion on this, and the statement we got from the devs is that the official distribution vector for Pandora software is .zip files. There's another thread from the same time period that dealt more specifically with the .zip vs package manager debate, but the one I linked was easier to find.

That said, I think there's a healthy portion of the community who'd be interested in an ipkg/opkt/apt/.deb style solution, based on discussion from around that time. I wouldn't be surprised to see an installer app show up within the first month or two of release.

If you're feeling particularly enterprising, you could start writing one now. ;)

EDIT: dpkg/ipkg/opkg and apt are already ported, so it should be as simple as writing a GUI for one of those programs.

As I say, we can borrow the GUI that (for example) Ubuntu uses to install apps, and adapt it so it grabs files from Pandora's repos.

A working port of synaptic would make me the happiest of beasts, and being able to manage packages as smoothly as using apt or portage would also make me very happy indeed!

It would be crazy for something as well connected and powerful as the Pandora to not use package management. Take a look at the hash MS Windows makes of package management. Let's not do it like this!

(Not trying to flame ;)

mazza558 said:
As I say, we can borrow the GUI that (for example) Ubuntu uses to install apps, and adapt it so it grabs files from Pandora's repos.
Outch, porting synaptic to use the P-file-archive and pxml files would be very awkward. Think about using synaptic with your finger on a 4.3 screen....

Writing a simple apps like the Wii Homebrew browser will be more simple and strait to the point for the user.

I wonder what people would prefer (ie: think they prefer, now) .. panda based, or desktop based?

And what woudl they end up using more?

ie: On my iphone I download just as many apps to the phone on the phone and from the desktop .. ie: the desktop has a better browsing experience with big screen etc, and sometimes you're in ap ub and just take a browse and such down an app.

I'd hate to write it twice :)

A list of files by repository is one thing, but showing a most popular downloads, a favourites and so on is the real meat. Top 20 games, top 20 emus, top 20 this or thats. (And how to collect rating information?)

Apple controls the end to end so makes it a lot easier for them. In a free environment it is hell to get right, but I guess thats separate.

Anyway, so a web front end showing a repo browser, rating, and sort options, with links to download the zip and/or pxml etc.

Writing it native is cool and all, but I think it'd have to be written multiple times then..

jeff

I wonder if pulling stats out of the gp32x file achive and various repository could work, or if the deb and rpm reps and so on have their own rating system? ie: An 'app store', minus the store part, essentially boiusl down to a rating system and download system. Downloads will be covered.. so we're talking a rating system, with links to downloads. (I take Store out of the equation as that is a highly complex topic.)

How to do ratings then..

skeezix said:

Does that mean you are writing it? :)

To answer your question, I know I would like to download direct to Pandora. I would, at this moment, prefer that to desktop if there were only one. But like you say, the desktop version has it's advantages.

With my N800 I'm used to download to the device itself. It would feel crippled if I had to use a desktop instead.

TaG said:
skeezix said:

Does that mean you are writing it? :)

To answer your question, I know I would like to download direct to Pandora. I would, at this moment, prefer that to desktop if there were only one. But like you say, the desktop version has it's advantages.
If it could be defined, I might. But like I say .. it sounds to me like we just need a good rating/sort system, and that really should just be built into the main repository.

Really, we should just make a new frontend for the gp32x file archive, so ED doesn't have to.

Then one could use a browser on any platform to suck down files :p

jeff

mazza558 said:
It'd be good if we had something similar to the app store for iPod/iPhone. I know we have a repository, but perhaps we could borrow the add/remove programs app from debian/debian derivatives, so that we don't have to go to a website to download/install Pandora apps.
Who would be willing to host it? It would create a lot of traffic without any "hits". In other words, a great deal of bandwidth with no way of recovering the money paid for the bandwidth (although, gp32x has a very minimal of advertising).
Would that make the system more complicated (not the interface, but the system itself) and also leave room for errors. I would think there might be issues with flash memory speed and free space as well. OTOH, it might work great if you could get someone to host it.

Would it be possible to setup a system where your PC was the host? Run a server on your PC and have the repository right there on your pc. That way you download the files and stick them in a directory and then use a package manager on the Pandora and this way you get the ease of installation while guaranteeing an active repository (you).

Chris

Back