Apps from repository that writes to NAND

PND store is part of the OS but probablty still shouldnt write to the nand.
Good point. I wrote the nub configurator and tv-out settings to write their profiles to the appdata folder, but since they are integrated into the firmware they would write to NAND now as well.

Let's see...yep, goes into /etc/pandora/conf. It's not something that is written frequently (only when the user modifies profiles). I'll need to add a way to allow users to override the profile file.

[edit]For people who change their profiles frequently and want to change it right now:

in /usr/pandora/scripts/op_nubmode.py change the line which contains:

Code:
PROFILES = '/etc/pandora/conf/nub_profiles.conf'

in /usr/pandora/scripts/TVoutConfig.py change the line which contains:

Code:
PROFILES = '/etc/pandora/conf/tvout-profiles.conf'

These lines can be found at the top of those files.

[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
+ PND Store
Are you referring to the version from the repo (in a PND), or the version included in the HF6 firmware? The one that's included in the firmware has to store its data to the user's home directory. Where else would you expect it to go? But the PND version shouldn't be doing any NAND writes.

+ PND Store
Are you referring to the version from the repo (in a PND), or the version included in the HF6 firmware? The one that's included in the firmware has to store its data to the user's home directory. Where else would you expect it to go? But the PND version shouldn't be doing any NAND writes.

if its temporary data [temporart sql database] and not important configuuration file it should go directly to the memory or to /tmp dir and not to stay in nand.

btw im not paranoid about nand writting but some of You are acting like it was something really important so i take my free time to check few apps that im currently using on op for benefit for community

Well, it can be important because free NAND space is limited and it is not always easy to track all the stuff that writes to the NAND so this Thread is pretty useful. :) I only have around 90MB free space left on the NAND, if Thunar calculates this correclty so I would prefer to write as much as possible on the SD instead, where I still have more than 13GB free. :D

Bluefish shouldn't write to NAND anymore in newest update on repo.

Could someone confirm? Don't have my Pandora here for the weekend.

(didn't read thread much)

We had an idea at one point to make pnd_run.sh post a warning when apps modify the homedir, but some apps intentionally need to do it and it makes sense.

One option was a PXML 'meta' or 'pragma' flags set, where 'hints' could be put; one such hint could be 'I know I'm writing to nand' which warns the user _once_, and when not set, pnd_run.sh could warn the user every time.

One problem is.. pnd_run.sh might call out the wrogn guyl ie: if you run two pnds, and the fiorst one does the NAND, then the seocnd exits, pnd_run.sh woudl likely report the wrong one. Still, could be useful....

--

Streak, well done :)

A few of those are okay (some things must be resident despite SD ejects, etc), but 99% have no reason to, so .. get the pitchforks! :)

jeff

Oh, and..

Skyrim!

jeff

if its temporary data [temporart sql database] and not important configuuration file it should go directly to the memory or to /tmp dir and not to stay in nand.
I wouldn't exactly call the database "temporary". If it disappeared on reboot, then the next time you start PNDstore, the list would be entirely empty until you hit the update button. I suppose that's not a deal-breaking loss of functionality, but is it really worth the 400KB it would save? But either way, it can't be changed until the next hotfix. If anyone is bothered by PNDstore's database on the NAND, just ignore the in-firmware version, and use the PND version instead. StreaK, maybe update your first post to say so.

But I'm glad to see that this thread has prompted fixes already. Hopefully NAND-writes can become a standard thing to check for in beta-testing threads.

You can just use strace (with combination of grep perhaps) to find out which files the application accesses and opens, so you don't need to search changes in your file system.

Some of my releases write to /tmp, like lock files and socket files. This is because lock files need to be always around, and socket files won't work on certain file systems. But /tmp should be tmpfs anyways so it's not the issue here. I'm not sure about what the rox-filer does, I would be glad if someone checked it out as I don't have Pandora (again)

This is excellent, really :)

The main point is not necessarily to avoid all NAND writes (at least not for me), but to 1) know where they occur (so that I have a choice) and 2) be able to reserve those NAND writes to those functions where they are necessary.

If anyone is bothered by PNDstore's database on the NAND, just ignore the in-firmware version, and use the PND version instead. StreaK, maybe update your first post to say so.

updated.

btw. please help me up with a list if any of you find an app that writes to nand

StreaK: Bluefish doesn't write to NAND anymore, please update first post!

+ eboard added..

+ gedit

+ linphone

+ ekiga

+ xournal

+ beep media player

+ homebank

+ brasero

+ gnumeric

+ osmo

+ orage

+ midnight commander

+ truecrypt

btw. for now i checked only about 10%-15% of PND database.. so list will be growing soon..

Last edited:
as a bonus: [official XFCE apps that wrotes to NAND]
you realize that these apps +_have_ to work without any sdcard inserted, thuss cannot do otherwise than writing on NAND, right ?
You can add XFCEpanel, all its plugins, modules etc, also Terminal does that and.... well every NAND apps.

Also I want to point out that pnd_run.sh write on NAND on every single run by *design*.

Activating Wifi/bluetooth also write on NAND

The list goes on and on.

The real issue with NAND writing is not the NAND wear-out but filling the FS (which is quiet small) Pidgin have been removed from NAND for that reason.

Having Pan writing it's cache on NAND is bad and definatly need fixing, but I wont fix audacious as it's a non-issue

as a bonus: [official XFCE apps that wrotes to NAND]
you realize that these apps +_have_ to work without any sdcard inserted, thuss cannot do otherwise than writing on NAND, right ?
You can add XFCEpanel, all its plugins, modules etc, also Terminal does that and.... well every NAND apps.

Also I want to point out that pnd_run.sh write on NAND on every single run by *design*.

Activating Wifi/bluetooth also write on NAND

The list goes on and on.

The real issue with NAND writing is not the NAND wear-out but filling the FS (which is quiet small) Pidgin have been removed from NAND for that reason.

Having Pan writing it's cache on NAND is bad and definatly need fixing, but I wont fix audacious as it's a non-issue

Of course i know it. NAND paranoids , should know about all NAND writtings apps, then maybe the'll understand that NAND writting is a must for many apps, and there is no way to preserve NAND , while using OS from NAND. Only solution for saving NAND is to use OS from SD card.

And because i check every app, i thought it will be nice to inform every NAND Paranoid that many OS-Binded apps writes a lot of cache files on NAND [like thunar..]

Last edited:
Back