Apps from repository that writes to NAND

Code:
strace -e trace=open <command>
will print out a list of files a program opens while running. look for ones without the flag O_RDONLY.

Ok, but the /tmp on my Pandora seems to be always there, with the same folders and stuff. So I guess it is saved on the NAND. The PND_OUT Files can be deleted I'm sure but in my tmp there are also Folders like "Icon Cache" and some other crap. But it is not much. I'm more worried if an app always writes stuff to the NAND so I hope you are right that it doesn't really touch the NAND.
Yes, the /tmp directory should always be there, because it's recreated as an in-memory filesystem on boot. Just one of those Linux things. Anything there between different boots means it was CREATED after each boot; you're not examining the system in-between boots, you see what happens after each boot, which creates file on a tmpfs (completely in memory filesystem), thus not touching the NAND.

There are so many files and folders on the NAND, it would be reallyy interesting to know which ones are constantly (re)written by an app. Some of the pre installed Apps have to store their stuff somewhere.

More Linux fun. Most applications on a regular Linux box write to /home/username. Most of the filesystem (/usr, etc) aren't being written to. A regular user wouldn't have permissions to do that anyway.

The only case where this isn't is things like /var/log and /var/run, etc. I don't have my Pandora in front of me at the moment to boot and check, but I'd assume those are either tmpfs also, or just not used (is Syslog running? I don't honestly know).

/tmp should disappear (and subsequently be recreated) when you restart. It would be extremely odd and more than a little disturbing if your /tmp directory was persistent.

Exactly.

I thought temp was written to NAND then deleted on shutdown?

Why? Temporary files are temporary. The main developers would have to go out of their way to make this persistent, which isn't useful.

Again, just look at the output of commands like 'mount' and the like, you'll see where and how things are being mounted.

Midori writes to the NAND??? WTF?!? :blink:

I use this browser every day, It can't write to the NAND, I didn't gave permission. ^^" Midori has it's own appdata folder, same for PanPlayer. I was reall sure that if an appdata folder on SD exists, the app doesn't has to write on the nand.

Please fix this if needed, especialy for Midori. Now I'm scared. :ph34r:

Edit: no Midori or PanPlayer dir found on NAND, at least not in home and subfolders within home. Same for audacious...I continue searching.

Only things on my Pandora that are surely written to NAND are alot of stuff in the TMP folder, I wanted to ask anyway if I can delete all the crap within the temp folder? Any risk?

my home folderon HF6

image :

http://ompldr.org/vYjhscQ

2.1 mb of Midori's cache garbage. and no, in not using midori so often (maybe used 3 times on OP). i prefer qupzilla

The only thing my cache directory has is Thunar. What version of the Midori PND do you have?

StreaK, maybe your cachefiles of midori are from the hf5 nandversion.

Did you upgrade or fully reflash to hf6?

I can 100% confirm that midori 0.4.1 writes cache (jpg html gif js) to nand. just double checked it few seconds ago and my cache folder grows up again..

Back