What To Put In Online Manual?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
hey guys,

It occurs to me we need an online comprehensive manual for the Pandora; included with the device will be a 'getting started' type document, but for a more fleshed out deal the wiki is probably the best place.

(For that matter, I don't have top-level edit in pandorawiki.org, so can someone create a top level link to 'Pandora Online Manual' and give me write perms? ;)

I'm rather envisioning we need topics like ..

Specifications
...Highlights
...Specs
...Features

First Time Use
...Charging
...First run (creating your account etc)
...Using the touchscreen, SD cards, etc

Basic Use

Applications
...What is included?
...Where to find the app repository for semi-trusted applications
...Where to find apps in the App Store
...How to download and use applications

Configuration
...Messing with your theme
...Adjusting brightness etc

Anyway, I figure I (or anyone) can start making section headings and filloing in basics, and we all can start putting in details. ie: I can put in some stuff about how apps get auto-discovered and run, and so on.

Question for you -- what topics can you dream up for the online comprehensive manual?

jeff

- A FAQ for users who don't want to scan through the whole manual if they have a frequently asked question
- How to restore the original firmware
- Where to find the community (e.g. gp32x.de/board/...)
- A list of alternative software that the Pandora can run if you don't like the defaults and how to install them (E17, Ubuntu, Haiku, *the reason why not* Windows, etc)
- Programming resources (as a link or something)
- A big DON'T PANIC text at the top.

Also, could we please *not* do this in the Pandora wiki or any other MediaWiki-based wiki? I've had bad experiences with such MediaWiki-based manuals in the past, and the main reason why was that nobody bothered to learn the extremely unintuitive syntax for wiki formatting, but instead used HTML code and whatnot and never knew how to use tables etc.

Something Textile (or other simple markup language)-based (in case of a Wiki), or even LyX source (like I used for the PXML spec: if we want a proper PDF) would be preferred.

(EDIT: Or we could of course also have dedicated syntax editors but that's kind of a waste of effort isn't it)

Last edited by a moderator:
The basics:
Config Wifi
Config Bluetooth
How to Update firmware
The "Run Box" (Alt-F2) under Gnome.
How to Kill applications that are misbehaving and the System Monitor (Task Manager for you Windows people).
Basic terminal usage, for those sticky moments when the gui just won't do.
Basic Thunar (File Manager) usage
The Home Directory, and what's all this usr, etc, bin, var, boot, root stuff?

dflemstr said:
Also, could we please *not* do this in the Pandora wiki or any other MediaWiki-based wiki? I've had bad experiences with such MediaWiki-based manuals in the past, and the main reason why was that nobody bothered to learn the extremely unintuitive syntax for wiki formatting, but instead used HTML code and whatnot and never knew how to use tables etc.

I don't mind cleaning this stuff up for the sake of the community. However, I do suggest that updates to the manual require approval.

Yeah, it's not that hard to use half-decent syntax...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cheatsheet

:D

I think a few selected people should be able to contribute with the manual... Perhaps a googleDoc would be a good option for a starting point...

The selected people should be de ones with write/modify permissions enabled, but everyone should be able to visit the document and read it, so we could discuss together how to do this right.

And Again i always offer myself to translate the manual/s onto spanish.

liuweng12 (at) H/G mail.com

Do we actually need this manual? I think everybody already knows all the specs, how to charge, how to tweak UI, how to disassemble/assemble, etc.

Vitel said:
Do we actually need this manual? I think everybody already knows all the specs, how to charge, how to tweak UI, how to disassemble/assemble, etc.
It's part of 'due diligence'... remember, they aren't just targeting forum members for this device.

Vitel said:
Here we go again...

no we usually dont need to know that battery cannot be eaten but hey they still show up the "No baby" chomping it.

its more a matter of standard to give the product a better quality and in some instances as a legal need.

its like (does starbucks need to write "this beverage could be hot handle with caution could get you some burns moron!" like messages?)
common people doesnt need em, but hey some people are just below that.

also got ninja'd XD

Please write the manual in Chingrish.

Edit: Or at least get guilmon999 to contribute a few chapters.

Vitel said:
Do we need a manual? Probably not. It's possible some people will, however.
On the other hand, console and game manuals are often fun to read. I just got Mass Effect for Christmas, but since I'm visiting family I can't play it; the manually is enough to tide me over for now.
Plus, while most of it may be obvious, sometimes they include little tidbits that you may never have thought of. *Did you know that by pushing the Menu button, and L trigger, and the Q key while holding the power button for three seconds makes a unicorn jump out of the screen? Make sure you're doing it while powering on instead of off, otherwise just the head gets through before the screen shuts off and cuts it off. Such a thing would be included in the manual, but you'd never think to even look for such a feature without it! And even if you did, imagine the accidental surprise you'd get if you did it wrong through experimentation!

*totally facetious example, of course, but it serves to illustrate the point.

Funny cartoon pictures, like cartoon Pandora cooking in the sun or freezing in the snow. Maybe one where the Pandora is getting electrocuted in water.

Seriously, funny cartoons and a sentence that says 'for support go to gp32x.de'. That is pretty much all you need.

second exodous said:
Funny cartoon pictures, like cartoon Pandora cooking in the sun or freezing in the snow. Maybe one where the Pandora is getting electrocuted in water.
This would be a great use for a Pandora-tan.

"Pandora-tan does not like water, but magnets are okay. Please do not bend Pandora-tan. Do not leave Pandora-tan in direct sunlight, especially if her screen is open."

lol cartoon:

- do not throw pandora at other people.
- do not turn the volume too loud it will disturb other people
- do not take a bath with it

I added "Template:citation needed" to the Pandora Wiki just to be able to use it in the online manual. Cuz every wiki just *has* to have a few [sup][citation needed][/sup] tags here and there.

Kloplop321 said:
kin said:
- do not take a bath with it

Craigix did that before didn't he?

I a sure Craigix did pretty much everything you're not suppose to do with it. Except maybe put it in the microwave.

I don't think he should write the manual. Just imagine:

"The Pandora dissipate so little heat that it is safe to use in snow."

Back