Pandora And Gph?

Let's just cool down.

The Pandora will be a fantastic device. I ordered one, but I'm an impatient person, so I eventually cancelled my order and got something else. That's the thing about the Pandora. If I decided that I wanted one, like right now - I couldn't have it, I'd have to order from the next batch, and then wait for the first batch to be finished, and half of the next batch. Which let's face it, isn't going to happen for a while. If I wanted a Wiz, I could have one within the week.

And therein lies the difference between GPH and OP. One has extraordinary visions for a console, and one has a business mind and one hundred times the resources. They also make different devices. Neither is better, they are simply different.

SomeGuy99 said:
Señor RavensFjord said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Señor RavensFjord said:
Feelings about the console aside, I don't know of another handheld strictly gaming console that has a gyroscope and a vibration motor

By that logic, the Gizmondo should have conquered the world! In 2005 it had a Camera, Mobile connection (gprs), GPS, Bluetooth and vibration.

How does that have anything to do with what I said there? I did not claim that the caanoo is better than anything else simply because those features are part of it, I merely stated that it is the only console right now that is equipped with them. I know I'm rooting for the wrong team being in the Pandora section and I'll be tried and hanged by the Pandora fanatics, but you need to look at what I'm saying without the mentality that you are superior to anyone that has a taste for another gaming console.

I'm not superior to anyone.

I'm not a Pandora fanboy, even though I own one (I seem to have developed an image for Pandora hating, if anything).

I own a GP2X too. I like it very much. I also owned a GP32.

I was just pointing out that the Gizmondo has unique features for a console too, but that didn't help it.

You seem very defensive buddy :)

Oh I am. Very. Apologies for thinking you were a fanboy and for losing my temper. Admittedly, it angers me to have the Gizmondo brought into the discussion because comparing it and the caanoo is like comparing a house cat and a tiger. (Not sure which ones the house cat and which ones the tiger though >_>)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just glad GPH is making Caanoo available now and not later, because Wiz's are going to become a lot harder to get now that they've been discontinued. The situation where Wiz came out long after GP2X F200 stopped being available was not a very good one.

Señor RavensFjord said:
Oh I am. Very. Apologies for thinking you were a fanboy and for losing my temper. Admittedly, it angers me to have the Gizmondo brought into the discussion because comparing it and the caanoo is like comparing a house cat and a tiger. (Not sure which ones the house cat and which ones the tiger though >_>)

I think technically, the Gizmodo is the Tiger.

2325.jpg

;)

Nova said:
Señor RavensFjord said:

2325.jpg

;)

You got my horrid joke! Huzzah!

Señor RavensFjord said:
Nova said:
Señor RavensFjord said:

2325.jpg

;)

You got my horrid joke! Huzzah!

That went over my head (which I'm ashamed of).

Sorry if you felt I was flaming you. We're a good bunch here really (btw what's your order number?).

Why do people hate on the Gizmondo so much? The community for it, while small and undernourished, is actually quite cool. A lot of Windows CE stuff got ported - hacked firmwares etc. It was/is a nice little scene.

I wanted a Gizmondo like hell when it came out. As far as I know, it was the most powerful handheld console of it's time. It was killed by the push advertising, and some very poor choices made by the mafi...I mean Tiger Telematics.

Nova said:
I wanted a Gizmondo like hell when it came out. As far as I know, it was the most powerful handheld console of it's time. It was killed by the push advertising, and some very poor choices made by the mafi...I mean Tiger Telematics.

Yeah but now it's just another orphaned machine, like the GP32 or GP2X. It's open, in the sense that the hacked custom firmwares open up the full Windows CE.

As a machine, it's... okay. Not amazing, but pretty good. It plays Picodrive easily as good as the GP2X for example (well perhaps not, there's the odd screen tearing).

If you count all the freeware Windows CE games that were ported, it has a fairly good software library. It is in actual fact, the only gaming CE machine out there (right?). It deserves some more life, crooked creators or not... it's not the console's fault! Give one a loving home :)

The main flaw is the crap battery management (the company admitted this). You have to take it out between plays or it goes flat... but then the Pandora is at that stage too right now.

Maybe I'll see if I can pick one up cheap. How's the Dpad?

EDIT: Maybe this thread now belongs in Other Consoles. Who agrees?

quote said:
Yeah. There were 'Wiz vs Pandora release date' threads a while ago.
Lol.

Hehe I remember those. I felt sure it'd be Pandora first, because OPT didn't want to 'do a GPH by taking your money months before the product is ready'. :)

I hear on Gizmondo writing to the equivalent of a framebuffer is very slow and kills the CPU performance advantage it had over GP2X, at least for emulators. Kinda a shame.

Yeah we had a few devs from this scene give their hand too a few projects which we were of course grateful to get emulators up and running, Notaz, Zod, Squidge et al , so between 2006-7 after Gizmondo failed as a business there was a nice little scene going, even now the odd release shows up, and as u said frambuffer problems etc gave it probably just under gp2x performance with a 400mhz cpu, for people just wanting a very cheap entry machine for homebrew u can pick one up on eBay for £20-30.
I love my Panda though, just wish the shoulder buttons were easier and more comfortable to use, I may even get a Canoo (sic) as an alternative for certain games, providing reviews of that thumbstick hold up!

craigix said:
They were utterly uninterested, but then again they are utterly uninterested in their OWN products - none of them could use the GP2X when we met them.

It really is just a business to them.
:blink: Wow, disturbing. No wonder they didn't realize that the old GP2X D-Pad was crap. I never would make a product if I have no relationship to it except "make money with it". And especialy for electronic devices, a little "geekness" is very recommended. :D

I'm not a fan of GPH but I have to say they increased their overall quality over the years. The new Caanoo makes a solid impression, Hard- and Software.

Let me just say, I love GPH for producing the GP2X. I wouldn't be a part of this community without that device. I also believe in judging people and companies by the fruit they produce and their own merrits. Craig has his own view, as does ED, and Michael and this community at large, and from my own experience with GPH, they really have no clue or care for what this community is about.

The question asked at the top of this thread reminds me of Nintendo going to Atari in the mid-eighties to help them distribute the NES in the states, and Atari pretty much told them to @*%! OFF! They where the top dog, and really didn't want to help Nintendo break into the market, and they didn't see the value in what Nintendo had produced(goes to show how clueless they where). GPH would never see the value in the Pandora, as they are clueless to the wants and needs of this community. I totally believe this is just a business to them, not because Craig said it, but because I can see it in the way they operate. They have been the only player in this market, and they have operated as much.

You never want to go into business with anyone who does not share the vision, and GPH clearly does not. I would love to see a company with deeper pockets help the team with production & distribution. As I believe the lack of product right now is hurting them very much. Open Pandora is right to keep the business under their own control, and hopefully it will pay off in the long run!

GPH should have gone out of business years ago(IMO), but they where the only player out there, but now with the Dingoo and the Pandora we all now have cheaper and better alternatives to what they offer. I did buy a Wiz while waiting for my Pandora, and I sold it within a year, as it really never improved on the GP2X greatness. Now the GP2X was never really great because of GPH, it was great because of the Community who helped it, and improve it well beyond what GPH had done, or was willing to do(DaveC, your mod rocked hard and gave me good controls). So I'm very glad that GPH never accpeted any request or offers from Open Pandora(if they actually happened of course), and I personally hope they improve their own business model because of it, or they get driven out of business. Either way the community wins!

Chris

jumpman said:
Let me just say, I love GPH for producing the GP2X. I wouldn't be a part of this community without that device. I also believe in judging people and companies by the fruit they produce and their own merrits. Craig has his own view, as does ED, and Michael and this community at large, and from my own experience with GPH, they really have no clue or care for what this community is about.

The question asked at the top of this thread reminds me of Nintendo going to Atari in the mid-eighties to help them distribute the NES in the states, and Atari pretty much told them to @*%! OFF! They where the top dog, and really didn't want to help Nintendo break into the market, and they didn't see the value in what Nintendo had produced(goes to show how clueless they where). GPH would never see the value in the Pandora, as they are clueless to the wants and needs of this community. I totally believe this is just a business to them, not because Craig said it, but because I can see it in the way they operate. They have been the only player in this market, and they have operated as much.

You never want to go into business with anyone who does not share the vision, and GPH clearly does not. I would love to see a company with deeper pockets help the team with production & distribution. As I believe the lack of product right now is hurting them very much. Open Pandora is right to keep the business under their own control, and hopefully it will pay off in the long run!

GPH should have gone out of business years ago(IMO), but they where the only player out there, but now with the Dingoo and the Pandora we all now have cheaper and better alternatives to what they offer. I did buy a Wiz while waiting for my Pandora, and I sold it within a year, as it really never improved on the GP2X greatness. Now the GP2X was never really great because of GPH, it was great because of the Community who helped it, and improve it well beyond what GPH had done, or was willing to do(DaveC, your mod rocked hard and gave me good controls). So I'm very glad that GPH never accpeted any request or offers from Open Pandora(if they actually happened of course), and I personally hope they improve their own business model because of it, or they get driven out of business. Either way the community wins!

Chris

Interesting points. It's worth noting that at the point Nintendo approached them, Atari were no longer the bunch of passionate visionaries that formed the industry. At that point, they were sold to Warner... who treated it most certainly like a business. That's pretty much why Atari burned and nearly took the industry with it.

The Famicom wouldn't have existed if import/export taxes on American goods weren't so high. I recall that Nintendo originally wanted to be the Japanese distributor of Atari consoles, but it proved to expensive.

It's kind of like how Craig and Ed started off being GPH sellers. :)

Exophase said:
I doubt that something like Pandora really fits with the kind of handhelds they sell. GPH is probably more interesting in selling substantially cheaper devices using more Korean parts - from the looks of it, MES SoC at the heart of it, although who knows how long they'll be able to keep doing this.
IIRC, Craigix suggested to them to use a S5PC100. Maybe that was out of their price range.

craigix said:
Señor RavensFjord said:
craigix said:
It really is just a business to them.

I completely and utterly fail to see the problem with that.

They have no interest in the community or what you want from a device. They just want to make money however they can. They will never try to evolve the hand held industry in any way because evolution of the scene is of no interest to them.

Do you still fail to understand why this is not a good thing?

You are absolutely correct about this, Craig. I remember seeing a video about the Caanoo in which all the spokesman was talking about was online gaming, and how you will be able to play with people around the world. Amazing! We've only had that capability in hand-helds for years and years now, and GPH is just starting to realize that people like WiFi, but I guess the dipshits still think a fucking huge dongle must stick out of the unit like a gigantic prick for WiFi to work, and only with a few shitty, shitty, generic games.

Neko said:
IIRC, Craigix suggested to them to use a S5PC100. Maybe that was out of their price range.

Someone was claiming that S5PC100 is only $15 in quantity (would be interesting to see what S5PC110 is). That's probably like $10 more than Pollux, but still within reasonable margins for what they're selling the device for.

I loved my GP2X, even though it was an early edition one that's stick needed adjusting, battery terminals needed replacing and so forth, it lasted me for ages before it died (although not totally, it still works from a power brick) from a failed LSTK chip. But when I first bought it I was lost, I went looking on the gamepark holdings website looking for these emulators I had been told my device would run, and did not receive a reply for weeks. I got a PM from some German guy pointing out gp2x.de, which I'm sure most of you know to be EvilDragons shop, this lead me to here. And the rest is well, a dodgy ride, but a good one.

I do not currently own a Pandora, but have held one, and used one a little (it's nubs went dodgy while I was being shown Mario64) and I want one. Sure it has it's problems, but I would much rather receive tech support from people here and the likes of craigix, and EvilDragon! After all, there never can be enough evil in the world :)

Neko said:
Exophase said:
I doubt that something like Pandora really fits with the kind of handhelds they sell. GPH is probably more interesting in selling substantially cheaper devices using more Korean parts - from the looks of it, MES SoC at the heart of it, although who knows how long they'll be able to keep doing this.

We just wanted to use the GP2X soc or the MMSP2+. We never suggested another chipset to them when we met them, but we did ask about the 266mhz version of the MMSP2 (they used the 200mhz one). The Pandora at that time would have just been a low resolution device without nubs.

Back