pandora alternatives

I find it odd that people are bashing the OP's console collection for being cheap or wasted money, considering one of Pandora's strongest selling points is emulation. Users often talk about how great it is to be able to play titles from the earlier consoles, and how great it would be if Pandora could emulate the others. Also, depending on legal jurisdiction, wouldn't he need to own the games anyway to play the roms?

And the "Nothing competes with the Pandora" comment that people throw around really bothers me. It's like saying that third world countries don't compete at the Olympics. It seems like an honest analysis of other handhelds that compares features with price points would be more persuasive than "Everything else sucks. Buy a Pandora."

I

And the "Nothing competes with the Pandora" comment that people throw around really bothers me. It's like saying that third world countries don't compete at the Olympics. It seems like an honest analysis of other handhelds that compares features with price points would be more persuasive than "Everything else sucks. Buy a Pandora."
I'd say it's more like third world countries not having any significant impact on global economy or contributions to the world of science.
So many people here want the jack-of-all-trades which the Pandora clearly is and use a lot if not all of its' potential. Those people are perfectly right when they say that nothing can compete at the moment, because there is nothing with that feature set.

If you are only looking for a handheld emu gaming thing and you don't need all the bells and whistles, look somewhere else.

IAlso, depending on legal jurisdiction, wouldn't he need to own the games anyway to play the roms?

Well depending on where in the world they are , yes - but how many people do you who are emulation enthusiasts only emulate games they own ?

Also if you would be so kind , how many MAME users do you know who have a extensive arcade in their house when their 25 - 30 and single with no kids ?

Of course I actually see your point but I've never known anybody ( as in face to face ) who got in trouble for this .*

* Yes I am aware that the government and or future employers could read this but do you really think that your boss is going to care what you do with something called a " emulator " or that Uncle Sam can't fix the economy because he's to busy hunting software Pirates who pirated " Superman 64 " ( the criminally bad one ) .

IAlso, depending on legal jurisdiction, wouldn't he need to own the games anyway to play the roms?

Well depending on where in the world they are , yes - but how many people do you who are emulation enthusiasts only emulate games they own ?

Also if you would be so kind , how many MAME users do you know who have a extensive arcade in their house when their 25 - 30 and single with no kids ?

Of course I actually see your point but I've never known anybody ( as in face to face ) who got in trouble for this .*

Although as a retro gamer I try to Incorage people to actually own the software

* Yes I am aware that the government and or future employers could read this but do you really think that your boss is going to care what you do with something called a " emulator " or that Uncle Sam can't fix the economy because he's to busy hunting software Pirates who pirated " Superman 64 " ( the criminally bad one ) .

Ps I didn't mean to be rude I'm just tired and so apologize if I sound ... rude .

Last edited by a moderator:
To the pandora's credit, no other device does emulation (where it matters : performance comfort) quite as good as the pandora.

There are handhelds that get close or even surpass it in certain aspects, N64 for example. But they useally lack in other areas.

If you have the money the pandora is the current king of emulation among other functions.

I am personally just a emulation enthusiast and if the day comes where there is a system that does it better all around, sadly, i will go with it regardless of cost. I dont use the pandora for anything other than emulation so none of its other features matter much to me.

But in the end, there is no system (i keep up on these things) that does it better as a whole.

I'd say it's more like third world countries not having any significant impact on global economy or contributions to the world of science.

So many people here want the jack-of-all-trades which the Pandora clearly is and use a lot if not all of its' potential. Those people are perfectly right when they say that nothing can compete at the moment, because there is nothing with that feature set.

If you are only looking for a handheld emu gaming thing and you don't need all the bells and whistles, look somewhere else.
I see what you're saying and I guess it's just a difference in the interpretation of the word "compete." The whole thing came up when users were talking about the business side of things. So my definition of competing is different products vying for the buyer's dollar. Just because something has a better feature set doesn't mean it has no competition. But looking back, there wasn't that much of it going on in this thread, and any that was would be justified anyway. I guess it was just an offhanded comment made late at night.

Actually, my alternatives to the Pandora would be a new guitar or adding the cash to my homebuyer's fund, not handheld emulation. I am looking, but right now, I'm choosing to let it ride.

Ps I didn't mean to be rude I'm just tired and so apologize if I sound ... rude .
My argument wasn't against piracy as much as it was against discouraging someone from having a physical video game collection. After all, collecting is the fun part. It's gotten to the point where I've bought games that I may never play.

I see what you're saying and I guess it's just a difference in the interpretation of the word "compete." The whole thing came up when users were talking about the business side of things. So my definition of competing is different products vying for the buyer's dollar. Just because something has a better feature set doesn't mean it has no competition. But looking back, there wasn't that much of it going on in this thread, and any that was would be justified anyway. I guess it was just an offhanded comment made late at night.

Actually, my alternatives to the Pandora would be a new guitar or adding the cash to my homebuyer's fund, not handheld emulation. I am looking, but right now, I'm choosing to let it ride.

My argument wasn't against piracy as much as it was against discouraging someone from having a physical video game collection. After all, collecting is the fun part. It's gotten to the point where I've bought games that I may never play.

Yeah same with me ... I need to take the time to beat Secret of Mana

Back