pandora alternatives

pan2x

Still Fresh
are there anyopen source handhelds that could really compte with the pandora in terms of features and such.this might not be in the right area but no doubt alot of people would be intrested,we don't all have money pouring out of our arses like you pandora owners.

Yet you seem to have spent a lot on all those mainstream consoles you have in your sig? Then even more on the games? You have to consider the full life cost of the Pandora, almost all the software is free.

You could look at the JXD consoles, but really there isn't anything I'm aware of which is like the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have seen alot of handhelds that all have something nice about them like better gpu or might have a bigger screen or even mini hdmi out. but nothing i have seen has the great keyboard layout, 10+ battery life, full gaming controls,fits nice in your hands and one of the best community around alot of great people working on alot of great items for the pandora. only bad thing is not enoff time in the day to play around with it.

as for all of us having cash coming out of our arses most of us had afew years to save up and even at 500 usd still well worth it. hell just saving little here and there alredy have almost 300 for the new 1ghz

Oh I just checked my arse no cash there ...

But however when I started saving for the Pandora I thought for just a second that I could take a net book and turn it into a cheap emulation machine . But then I joined this forum and found The Pandora has a lot more than I dreamed of ( though it would be nice to have sound emulation near perfect for the n64 but I know that's asking a lot )so Mabey I'll buy a c++ kit and work on it with some friends .

My NDS and PSP has homebrew which is nice. but the 3DS or VITA isn't hacked yet. blah blah blah. other devices can be hacked/jailbroken to offer similar functionality but there is nothing which is designed with the same intentions.

If you want to play official AAA titles, buy something with is limited to a small series of games - Buy a console.

If you want the ability to do pretty whatever you want with a device designed to have less limitations - Pandora is it.

The pandora is like Zombo.com - Anything is possible. The only limit is yourself.

It's well worth the money.

To the topic creator, you could just exercise a bit of patience and discipline and save up for one you can claim as your own and buy directly from Craigx,EvilDragon or Link (US based reseller). Or snap one up whenever there are Ebay deals from users reselling theirs for various reasons,...or if Craigx or ED ever come across batch one 256MB units, if they decide to offer those once in a while at bargain prices, then thats another option,too.

The OpenPandora as it stands now, has no comparable alternative. And for good reason. It was designed to be quite unique apart from all the other available micro-pcs/netbooks/pdas. It has been over four years since its availability, and no one else has attempted to come out with a similar design.

None, whatsoever. Not even a "KIRF"-ed attempt. That says a whole lot.

Just take your time and save up some more so that you can then own your very own OpenPandora unit.

I haven`t regretted my purchase. Not one bit.

...Patnik.

If you're just looking for something like the GPH consoles (i.e. just emulation and possibly some indie games), the GCW Zero looks good and seems to live up to the Pandora in performance. If you want everything else, though, there really is no alternative.

I have soooooo much ca$h I don't know what to do with it all....(not!) so I bought an XBox... played it for about 3 days in total (over a year), I travel a lot for work so I'm rarely at home to use it with my TV..... same for the PS1/PS2 and the Wii that are all sitting in cupboard...

I bought an early Android Tablet, used it for a total of about 5 days (over a 6 month period) - got fed up with the fact I couldn't be longer than 20 paces from a power socket to keep the battery charged whilst using the wifi and internet and got annoyed that I lost over 1/2 the screen to a touchscreen keyboard.

I bought a netbook thinking that I could also run emulators on it and do the "normal" stuff, again battery life sucked and it was just a bit too slow & clunky for what I wanted, also a lot of the emulators i wanted to use wanted the use of a real keyboard. My wife 'borrowed' the netbook, never seen it since!

I have an Android phone - I rooted it, I wrote some apps for it, it's okay, but again poor battery life and the same touchscreen keyboard issue...

I bought a Pandora (the 512Mb version)..it arrived, I was amazed. After 2 weeks, my wife asked if it was surgically welded to my hand?.... I took it with me everywhere, to work customer sites, to far off lands with varying climates. It has the most amazing battery life I have ever experienced. I can use it to play music, work on a spreadsheet and switch over to a quick game on a 6hour flight, land, lookup my hotel details, bluetooth to my Android phone to check google maps to get to the hotel (true I could just use the Android phone for that...but hey, I have a Pandora, why use anything else now?) arrive at hotel and notice I still have 35% battery life left!

I have taken the Pandora with me non-stop pretty much since I received it. It is a great talking point, everyone loves the fact it has a keyboard (that was actually the main selling point for me - I'm not a touchscreen keyboard person, maybe it's the fat fingers?), they love the size. I usually spend a good 5-10 mins. showing them the device, explaining the features and the capabilities. Re-reminding them it is not a dictionary / translator device, but a full blown Linux machine that has the bonus of being a full games machine. Naturally all of this has to be demonstrated, they usually take the device and their faces light up at how physically light it is, how responsive it is and just how well built it is and then how it's actually rather a fast device. Then they ask.... who makes it? Samsung? Dell? LG?.....and where can they get one?.... I point them to the website.

Whilst I love my Pandora and will be using it everyday for the foreseeable future, I just ordered a BeagleBone kit with a 7"LCD - why would I want to do that? I have a Pandora? Well, because as I said, I have soooo much ca$h I just don't know where to spend it (this is a joke, seriously, it is!). I can run Angstrom Linux on the BeagleBone, I can also run Android. I can also hack hardware together with it. I want to build a robot as a project. I "could" use my Pandora for this, but it's not really the right tool to use. So, I'm buying a different tool for a different purpose. Could I potentially make the BeagleBone as powerful and work as well as the Pandora? probably? I have also ordered a bluetooth mini-keyboard with mouse. In essence I could "build" my own Pandora, albeit it'll be twice the size... but that's not the point, my Pandora does what it does and it does it bl00dy well. There are other things out there that you could use, but for the long term price investment I cannot fault it - now, the PS1/PS2/Wii/XBox etc... all cost me a lot and I'll never really realise their full potential. With the Pandora, I reckon I will. YMMV. B)

Yet you seem to have spent a lot on all those mainstream consoles you have in your sig? Then even more on the games? You have to consider the full life cost of the Pandora, almost all the software is free.

You could look at the JXD consoles, but really there isn't anything I'm aware of which is like the Pandora.
yes but i got those over several years

Okay then ... Why r u asking for help finding alternatives on the forum of the console / computer itself also you could go to the trading section and ask if anyone has a circuit co one they're willing to trade / sell

are there anyopen source handhelds that could really compte with the pandora in terms of features and such.

Yes there are loads of them and they're free to acquire as well, they're easy to get hold of, all you have to do is close your eyes and imagine. :)

Well, if you already tried all these out, then you should've found out there's a reason they're a lot cheaper than the Pandora.

I wonder... if you already got all those, what did they add up alltogether?

Wouldn't they have been enough for one Pandora?

It's up to you whether you buy various cheap devices or save up for one that you really actually use :)

EvilDragon how do you stay sane when people come here ask stupid more or less trolling questions and then refuse correct answers when they are given them ?

I believe this is what your looking for, pan2x.

http://www.gp32x.de...ra-alternative/
but you have to root it to be able to use emulators
Can someone pull a rooting guide for this out of there arse please
You go to the home menu click cheats and type ( or alternatively you can show up at the local game store and force the clerk at gun point to type it ) I wanna root this stupid thing so I can play Joust on the toilet ! And that's it you can now play any game less fun than Super Man on the NES ( please note you cannot play Joust as it crashes the system ) and there you have it rooted as you have always wanted . Or you could just buy an Open Pandora .

Back