Pandora 2 running on a capacitor?

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
Just saw a capacitor powered flashlight tonight. No batteries, very lightweight, super bright, could last 3 hours on a 60 second charge.

Lets dump the battery and run the Pandora 2 for 20 hours on a 60 second charge. It would be much lighter.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

The energy density of capacitors is quite a bit less than lithium-ion batteries. That 20-hour ultracapacitor isn't going to be smaller or lighter than the battery it's intended to replace. Also do you have any idea how much waste heat you'd get from a 900-watt charger, which is what it would take to charge the equivalent of the Pandora's battery in 60 seconds? You'd never get UL or any other safety certification for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flashlight I held was the same size that holds 4 D batteries. It weighed a fraction of what the D batteries would weigh.

The battery weight of the Pandora is significant. I'm no physicist and don't know much about heat generation etc. I do know the flashlight was bright and it didn't weigh much. Things I look for in a handheld are power and size/weight.

I'm interested to hear people entertaining the idea, not someone telling me it's a pipe dream.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

The flashlight I held was the same size that holds 4 D batteries. It weighed a fraction of what the D batteries would weigh.

The battery weight of the Pandora is significant. I'm no physicist and don't know much about heat generation etc. I do know the flashlight was bright and it didn't weigh much. Things I look for in a handheld are power and size/weight.

I'm interested to hear people entertaining the idea, not someone telling me it's a pipe dream.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

just for you to know, typical lithium-ion battery have a specific energy twice greater than NiMh cell, so comparing your capacitor with regular D cell is not really correct...

Last edited by a moderator:
It also gives you a fraction of the power that 4 D batteries would. If the same flashlight were using 4 D batteries instead of a capacitor, you would see days, possibly weeks of constant use.

The same would hold true in the Pandora (or any other electronic device): replace the battery with a capacitor, and the 10 hour life drops down to 2 or less, possibly only minutes.

I've considered creating a capacitor/resistor combo with the same connections as the battery to serve as a fake battery so that years from now people will be able to still use their Pandora at least plugged, and maybe a few minutes of unplugged use, if batteries can no longer be purchased, but it is basically impossible for it to ever have the same capacity as a real battery would.

You're being told it's a pipe dream because it is.

A 20 hour flashlight from a capacitor is really good, but pales in comparison to the actual power stored in a real battery, power that is needed in something more complex than a flashlight.

Sorry, but it is.

Capacitors fill a different niche than batteries. They might have a higher power density, but their energy density is much lower, so you'll always have reduced runtime.

And as Neko pointed out, you can fast-charge capacitors, but a fast charger would be larger, more expensive, and produce more heat than a normal charger.

And who would care about fast-charging the Pandora, say, every 2 hours, when a Li-ion battery could let you run it for 15 hours continuously, and then just charge all night?

Also, I don't know if supercapacitors have improved on this, but regular capacitors leak charge pretty quickly.

Also, I don't know if supercapacitors have improved on this, but regular capacitors leak charge pretty quickly.
Electrolytic capacitors leak charge pretty quickly, but capacitors with solid dielectric materials can hold a charge for months. I don't know what the leakage current of modern supercapacitors is, but seems to be low enough that these can be used as a replacement for electrochemical batteries in certain applications.

Also, Link's flashlight probably uses less than 1 watt, so 3 hours on a charge isn't all that impressive. A typical alkaline or NiMH D-cell battery would be around 15 watt-hours.

Where is the flashlight you're talking about? That does sound pretty cool. Did someone make it or is it sold somewhere?

Back