Panasonic Jungle

<offtopic>

Lol I remember Game Editor...heheh. Damn noob program teaching me bad things about C :( .

Seriously, GE is dead now, Makslane opensourced it which was good but then all of a sudden it was $1000 or something for a commercial license - that killed off the GE (paid) indie scene, almost totally :( . Now there's the express license, but still, a lot of profits to be made with GE were below $100 a year anyway.

But at least you can make games under GPLv3 - which I'd encourage totally - tho I might suggest going for a more efficient game engine, or rolling your own with SDL/C/C++. Still, Game Editor most certainly runs faster than Java on my machine ;) . So it must have improved a lot. ...and hey, compiling a Pandora port should not be hard(engine *.bin files) - hell the gp2x binary might even work.

</offtopic>

Pandora is better, no matter what, because the Pandora is open. Just as a homebuilt computer (from chips) will always be better because you will know exactly how everything works inside.

Pandora is better, no matter what, because the Pandora is open. Just as a homebuilt computer (from chips) will always be better because you will know exactly how everything works inside.

I have no freaking idea how everything works in my computer and I built it myself, I just know that electrons pass along the funny square metallic hieroglyphs

and tells things to work. But I agree, I build my own so I know what is in them. With the Pandora we know exactly what is in it where this thing we still do not know what is in there. I'd go for small company knowing what I'm getting than big company that all I know is it is shiny and has pretty pictures on the screen. On top of that there is the open source OS on it also, just adds to me leaning towards the Pandora over this.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I like about Linux also - it doesn't try to hide what's going on under the hood like some other operating systems do. Bring up a command prompt and type 'ps -p 1' (which means find a line containing 'init' in the list of all currently running processes) and it'll show you process number 1 - the init script that everything that's currently running or has run since you booted your computer up came from.

My first reaction upon looking at that image for this thing was to retch. Seriously, the design for that thing is horrible. I could see some problems with that sort of setup. It's sort of nice it runs linux, in a way: it almost guarantees some sort of hackability once it gets into a nerd's hands. But really, the device looks 1) impractical and 2) like a Star Trek prop. I'd definitely like to see more about the specs, though.

I'd still stick with a Pandora regardless. (Which by the way, should the "Pandora" be called the "Pandora Air"? I saw that on my order form.)

EDIT: Sorry for any typos, and if this comes across as unintelligible. It's 2AM as I write this.

I don't know if it is hacked (and why wouldn't it be, every other "closed" device has) I can see it having a homebrew scene. Even if the jungle is a total failure they will certainly sell more than the Pandora.

Besides right now the Pandora itself doesn't have much of a homebrew scene. All projects seem abandoned and it doesn't have a good PSX emu, no playable PC-engine emu, MAME sound pops and clicks on many classic games and seems dead, others are drive-by ports that come out then don't get improved etc. If the jungle sells 10,000 units (should easily do at least that) there will probably be a bigger scene. I think it comes down to when it will come out, how much it will be and how good the battery life is.
OK DaveC, yes Donkey Kong Jr has some clicks and popping, I've heard it. Donkey Kong 3 is worse. It doesn't make them unplayable, the games play fine other than that. As for MAME4ALL, SteveM said a few weeks back he was busy, so how that means its been abandoned is beyond me. A good bit of games work just fine in MAME4ALL on the Pandora, the Beta has gone through several stages as well. I've had people come back after developing software offering to help improve it too.

Donkey Kong Jr. is not perfect, so if you can't take the issues regarding sound, turn it down or listen to some music. You make it sound as if the games don't work.

Personally, I don't need PSX or PC Engine. You seem to be raining on a parade that hasn't even started.

Lastly, if this Panasonic has no buttons and is supported by Panasonic, well...

Peace & Pandora,

Link

PS In all fairness, I love your D-Pad on the Pandora. With the unpainted buttons it surpassed what it was upon my initial receipt of the unit. Well done.

Last month we gave the world a glimpse of the Jungle. Since then, we've heard from many voices and we've been listening to all the chatter.

So, we want to share a little more about why we're creating the Jungle. Our mission is to enable the hundreds-of-millions of online gamers across the world to game-on-the-go, in a new, fun way. We know other companies out there have traditional hand-held gaming covered. We're doing something very different.

We're committed to the cloud and web-based content, the free-to-play movement, social and community-based gaming, and new forms of digital entertainment. We want to enable you to enjoy all of this - anytime, anywhere. So far, the feedback we've received from gamers who have experienced the Jungle has been quite inspiring.

Thanks for thinking outside the box and joining with us. Please stay connected as we release more information about the product, technology, and content that we're working on for you.

Oh, and one last thing, if you're an avid online gamer living in the United States and want to be one of the first people to experience the Jungle, follow the link below to apply for our user testing programs.

APPLY TO PARTICIPATE IN THE

JUNGLE USER TESTING PROGRAM

****URL REMOVED****

Game Freely,

The Jungle Team

Fine print:

Please do not respond to this email address. Or do and waste your time as it will get sent to a wormhole to deep space. Have a question or want to say hi? Drop us a line at info@thejungle.com. To unsubscribe, please email: unsubscribe@thejungle.com and we'll process your request within 10 working days.

Copyright 2010 Panasonic Cloud Entertainment Company. All rights reserved. Jungle, the Jungle logo, and the Ninja, Power Monger, Bounty Hunter, The Noob, and Templar Knight characters are trademarks of Panasonic Cloud Entertainment Company.

This message was sent by Panasonic Cloud Entertainment Company,

10900 N. Tantau Ave, Suite 200, Cupertino, CA 95014

so excited about this new news tidbit I litterally just stumbled across... looks like the jungle is going to be running android! Already informed engadget and gizmodo

http://welcometo.thejungle.com/careers-detail.php?job=1000940

Job Number: 1000940

Full Time

The Jungle is focused on products, services and content for online gaming, social networking, and other forms of emerging, web-based entertainment. At the core of our vision is a new mobile device designed specifically for online gamers. Join our growing team in the heart of Silicon Valley and help create a revolution in online, mobile entertainment! Currently, we are seeking an Embedded Software Engineer for our office in Cupertino, CA.

Duties and Responsibilities

The Jungle Team is seeking an experienced and creative Embedded Software Engineer to develop world-class, high volume consumer electronic products for the web connected environment. You will play a leading role in designing, developing, and debugging drivers, kernel and user space components. The ideal candidate will have strong technical expertise in software development for consumer electronic devices.

Responsibilities:

Android bringup on mobile platforms

Bringup, verification and debug of new hardware platforms

Work with the engineering team to design and implement kernel drivers, shims, APIs

Experiment and prototype with hardware peripherals

Drive product features and specifications on web-connected devices

Work with cross-functional teams to support product requirements

Qualifications

Education and Experience

5+ years' experience as an embedded software engineer

Android bringup on mobile platforms

BS in computer science or equivalent experience

Previous experience with Linux kernel engineering

Deep knowledge of hardware platforms and processor architectures

Demonstrated creative, critical thinking and troubleshooting skills

Excellent collaborative skills including written and verbal communication

Strong debugging capabilities in real-time and embedded systems

Must have experience with Linux Development Tools - Top, KDB, GDB

Understand all aspects embedded system SW - Compiler, Memory, IOs, Emulators

Additional Skills and Experience

Experience in optimizing software for power, performance and memory utilization

Experience with networking technologies such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and 3G.

Experience in shipping software on mobile or handheld consumer electronic devices

ARM assembly

Experience with JTAG debugging

Ability to understand board schematics

Candidates interested in this or any position with The Jungle should email their resume and cover letter to jobs@thejungle.com. Please include 'Embedded Software Engineer (Android), Job Number 1000940' in the subject line of your email.

We are committed to creating a diverse work environment and proud to be an equal opportunity employer (m/f/d/v). Pre-employment drug testing may be required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S.

so basically what this means is this is going to be running android, and along with android means all the emulators that currently run on android. If this runs android, then they will have to legally release the source code for their kernel, and that means other linux distros which basically turns this into pandora's worst nightmare.... it's running ARM processor based off the other job openings, I'm looking but no other leads on specs based off what I can see.

Still lacks real gaming controls.
I haven't seen one in the wild to tell for sure

digital renderings show touch pads, but wait and see before giving judgement

I seen digital renderings of the wiz that had a controller scheme that didn't suck, the real one didn't come close to the rendering.

Does anyone have any latest news on what the tech specs of the Jungle will be?

Does anyone have any latest news on what the tech specs of the Jungle will be?
not released yet, I'm sure once released or leaked or rumored I'll post, I try to keep up on it.

I can guess it'll be tegra based and dual core arm but absolutely nothing has been seen or spread across the internet as of yet.

There hasn't been ANY news since October 4th... not on Facebook, not on Twitter... and they wanted the community to communicate with them...?

Seems like the same old story, they want to communicate with everyone for about 5 minutes as it works as a good PR stunt then it's back to secrets and DRM.

Am I the only one who's starting to think the "Panasonic Jungle" is going to be Vapourware?.

No news at all in ages about it, seems to me it's not happening, ive just got that feeling

P.S Has anyone signed up and been accepted for the testing program?

Am I the only one who's starting to think the "Panasonic Jungle" is going to be Vapourware?.

No news at all in ages about it, seems to me it's not happening, ive just got that feeling

P.S Has anyone signed up and been accepted for the testing program?
most of the hype was to guage interest, they had a prototype for the form factor but no pictures of the thing even powering on let alone a functional OS, then you need games developed. I think it's too soon to start calling this vaporware, I'd say this is still in the planning stage at a minimum probally in the beginning levels of devlopment. I don't think you will hear much more about it other than teaser info untill this thing goes into mass production.

I'm sure panasonic knows how much interest and hits on their website in responce to the inital hype equates into potential sales. I don't know anyone that actually owned or even wanted a panasonic 3do game console growing up but that never stopped them from producing lots of them. They also just aquired some big ass company not too long ago (forget the name) but they're not doing too bad for themselves. Not to mention their 3d televisions and exclusive rights to the stupidly overpriced avatar 3d movie tv bundle.

And down she goes.

Panasonic has decided to discontinue development of its audacious Jungle portable gaming console, citing "changes in the market and in our own strategic direction" as the reasons. If we had to guess, we'd say those market changes mostly relate to Sony announcing the utterly spectacular NGP, whose release probably coincided too closely with what Panasonic had on its Jungle roadmap, and so the latter company decided to cut its losses and run home. Panasonic also engaged in some early testing with US consumers late last year, which now seems likely to have born unsatisfactory results. It's a shame, we were sincerely looking forward to another competitor in the portable gaming arena, but we suppose it's better for a bad product to never see the light of day than to depress us all with its woefulness.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/01/panasonic-kills-off-jungle-portable-gaming-project-probably-sca/

Funny. I was just checking out the news about the Jungle earlier this morning to find out what happened to it. And two hours later, this news post appears ;)

Back