Panasonic Jungle

It appears to be wedge-shaped.

Ugh.

Kotaku: "the Jungle is rumored to run on Linux. There's stumbling block one."

That's a start in the right direction. I couldn't give less shits about WoW, so...

I hope they make it good for something besides MMOs. MMORPGs need a lot of physical screen space, and I don't think there's a huge demand to make them portable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to specifically made for MMORPGs. That's probably what they have the keyboard in there: Chatting.

Hmm... are there some more pics?

From the one on Engadget, it looks somehow it has two DPads (again...? :eek: )

A touchpad... no buttons...

So it's not really usable for gaming except for MMOs or other mouse-games (or games which don't need buttons :) )

That thing sounds a bit weird so far... I'd love to know what CPU is in there.

If it's an ARM, they need to port the big applications first... and using Linux, I guess they still try to keep it as closed as possible.

Imagine someone could rip the WoW ARM Port from this to make it work on other ARM devices...

Will be an interesting thing to follow, but the concept sounds weird.

Unless they really port popular titles, I'm not sure a MMO-Player-on-the-go would work yet.

A touchpad... no buttons...

So it's not really usable for gaming except for MMOs or other mouse-games (or games which don't need buttons :) )
I suppose you could use the keyboard for game buttons right?

This is not a good sign for Pandora though. It is close in concept, and they will be able to produce millions in the same time it takes to make a couple of hundred Pandoras.

Had to happen eventually I guess.

This is not a good sign for Pandora though. It is close in concept, and they will be able to produce millions in the same time it takes to make a couple of hundred Pandoras.

nope, personally dont think so. although the pandora has gaming as its main concern, it can really do a lot more. you can use it as a mini laptop where you can chat, check your email, create documents, etc. our friend darfgarf here also made a robot that he intends to be controlled the the pandora (http://dinguxdev.wordpress.com/2010/10/03/p-hex/). me, i will generally use mine to write articles on the go. in terms of functionality, it is not even near the pandora, IMHO. ^_^

although you are right about they will be able to produce millions of units the same time opt creates a hundred units. after all, it is a big company, unlike our humble OPT. ;)

Well, i have yet to use a thumbs keyboards where that sounds like a good idea. Form the looks of it, it will use the left d-pad for WASD mapping and the right touch-pad for mouse input, since MMOS are the stated target, not something I would emulate PSone on.

damn it - double post

nope, personally dont think so. although the pandora has gaming as its main concern, it can really do a lot more. you can use it as a mini laptop where you can chat, check your email, create documents, etc. our friend darfgarf here also made a robot that he intends to be controlled the the pandora (http://dinguxdev.wordpress.com/2010/10/03/p-hex/). me, i will generally use mine to write articles on the go. in terms of functionality, it is not even near the pandora, IMHO. ^_^

although you are right about they will be able to produce millions of units the same time opt creates a hundred units. after all, it is a big company, unlike our humble OPT. ;)
And who says you won't be able to do all that with the Panasonic thing? Did it say somewhere you can't use it for e-mail, documents etc? As a matter of fact that is what it is MADE for is internet and e-mail. I would guess it probably has some 3G wireless?

Well, i have yet to use a thumbs keyboards where that sounds like a good idea. Form the looks of it, it will use the left d-pad for WASD mapping and the right touch-pad for mouse input, since MMOS are the stated target, not something I would emulate PSone on.
Well I really would't want to emulate the PSone on the Pandora in it's current state either. That emu has ben abandoned for months, and in it's current state it isn't too playable, too many glitches. If the Jungle (dumb name) gets popular and cracked you will probably see allot of emus for it including PSone.

And who says you won't be able to do all that with the Panasonic thing? Did it say somewhere you can't use it for e-mail, documents etc? As a matter of fact that is what it is MADE for is internet and e-mail. I would guess it probably has some 3G wireless?.

maybe so, but i dont think it can run a full desktop running multiple programs like a regular computer. plus i dont think it can control a robot. :D

and honestly, i think it will be hard to play MMORPG's on a device that small. imagine that your thumbs are on the dpad and touchpad. how will you press the other buttons for skills that way? also, how can you chat other players with that set-up. it will be very hard IMO...

and lastly, because it is a device created by a commercial company, the games will surely be not for free. the panasonic jungle's games will sure to be costly, unlike our little pandora where you can feed it anything you want for free. and you can even modify and hack it all you want. ;)

so, without bias, its still the pandora for me... :)

Interestingly, it's being launched along with a Battlestar Galactica MMO.

I wonder if its that browser-based one which was announced at E3 this year?

Back