Wikipad quad core tegra 3 $199 tablet

They still plan on launching the 10 inch version though. 

This new 7 inch version makes more sense and is priced a lot better.  It actually has a chance.  I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to drop the 10 inch all together.

I think there biggest issue right now is to get something out there.  It's getting a little bit beyond a joke now.

Wikipad is history now they are just trying to salvage a sinking ship, such a pity as this had real promise but now is way outdated with tegra 4 on the horizon and all these cheap jxd and archos pads available i cant see this succeeding

Any excitement I once had for the wikipad has been replaced by the nvidia shield.

Same concept of a badass ergonomic android gamer but in single unit

From the Engadget story , they say the 10 inch version is likely to have the Tegra 4 chip.

The specs etc have changed so much on this thing , that it absolutely means nothing until it actually comes out.

Just got mail confirming a US release this Spring ... that the wait is almost over

new site too I think

http://www.wikipad.com/

Up to 7 hours continuous video use, I'd guess that applies to gaming times too right?

They started listing games that have proved to be compatible with the controller too, which is nice, also showing which buttons map to what, see: http://www.wikipad.com/Games

Sony Playstation games?

http://support.wikipad.com/entries/22964913-Can-Wikipad-play-Sony-Playstation-Mobile-Games-

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the S7300 and the controls are pretty decent, though having to map them each time I play a different game/emu system is a bit of a pain.

Looks like this Wikipad will just work, in terms of the mapping of hardware controls.

I wonder how it will work with the emus though, if they'll all need mapping, not sure if Wikipad includes mapping S/W or would have to use another app from Play Store for that?

These controls do look nicer than the S7300 though, more premium, will have to wait and try one though.

This and the Archos TV Connect still on my radar as devices to try out and then potentially upgrade to

I've completely forgotten now, but does the Wikipad include mapping software like the Archos Gamepad ?.

I got the S7300 and the controls are pretty decent, though having to map them each time I play a different game/emu system is a bit of a pain.

Looks like this Wikipad will just work, in terms of the mapping of hardware controls.
I wonder how it will work with the emus though, if they'll all need mapping, not sure if Wikipad includes mapping S/W or would have to use another app from Play Store for that?

These controls do look nicer than the S7300 though, more premium, will have to wait and try one though.
This and the Archos TV Connect still on my radar as devices to try out and then potentially upgrade to
You have to use mapping tool for every emu? Hell my gtab 7 and ps3 controller have decent compatibility with plenty of emus.

You have to use mapping tool for every emu? Hell my gtab 7 and ps3 controller have decent compatibility with plenty of emus.
Most the emus will be fine 'out the box' as it were ... but if you change the mappings, you'll need to change them back again manually.

There are no save states, not that I have noticed anyway.

Example, I have the dpad and buttons set perfect for my NES emu...

I then want to play Android native game, NOVA 3, I manually change my mappings to suit the on screen buttons positions...

When I go back to play my NES emu, the buttons are mapped still as I left them for playing NOVA 3, so I have to re-position them again.

Just a bit of a pain, would be good if could save mapped states and then select quickly from presets.

Up to 7 hours continuous video use, I'd guess that applies to gaming times too right?
 Not a chance, video decoding runs mostly in dedicated hardware while games put a real load on CPU + GPU. No device these days gets nearly as much run time in gaming as in video, and 7 hours video for a 7 inch tablet isn't amazing.

Most the emus will be fine 'out the box' as it were ... but if you change the mappings, you'll need to change them back again manually.

I then want to play Android native game, NOVA 3, I manually change my mappings to suit the on screen buttons positions...

When I go back to play my NES emu, the buttons are mapped still as I left them for playing NOVA 3, so I have to re-position them again.

Just a bit of a pain, would be good if could save mapped states and then select quickly from presets.
You should really use a custom ROM and grab some other emulators that support the controls natively w/o the mapping software (and save states..)

Not a chance, video decoding runs mostly in dedicated hardware while games put a real load on CPU + GPU. No device these days gets nearly as much run time in gaming as in video, and 7 hours video for a 7 inch tablet isn't amazing.

>Most the emus will be fine 'out the box' as it were ... but if you change the mappings, you'll need to change them back again manually.

You should really use a custom ROM and grab some other emulators that support the controls natively w/o the mapping software (and save states..)

Ahh cheers Exo, so probably will result in something more like ~4 hours for gaming use eh?

About same as my other tablets. Shame.

As for the S7300 mapping, I am using a custom ROM, NCEE.

It is cooked with a load of emulators which it prompts you to select during setup, including Retroarch, which I use.

I will install some others I have D/L and purchased before though, on my phone, like the Robert Broglia ones [MD EMU etc.] as I think they support controls natively.

Good call, I will try that tonight.

RetroArch supports the mapping natively, it just works by default. Although it doesn't let you configure it at all, AFAIK.

Back