Painted cases

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
I have had many products with painted cases, and after a while, the paint will chip in one spot. Then it'll spread, and keep chipping. It ends up looking ugly. My question is, will the Pandora have this problem? If so, is there a way to get an unpainted case?

I have had many products with painted cases, and after a while, the paint will chip in one spot. Then it'll spread, and keep chipping. It ends up looking ugly. My question is, will the Pandora have this problem? If so, is there a way to get an unpainted case?
The paint doesn't chip, it just slowly wears off. I've got shiny spots on the corners, and around the dpad.

As far as I understand, the Pandora's case is moulded in color. That is, the plastic that's put into the moulds is already black - so there's nothing to paint. So even if it did chip, there would just be more black plastic underneath the surface.

@Nation.A.List - I don't think it really shows much. But that's just my opinion - your mileage may vary, of course. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, they're already thinking about using another finish on the cases.

They're waiting for samples of the case with a electro-sparked coating.

(don't ask me what it is, the first time I heard this term was in ED's post)

I don't know what an electro-sparked coating is for plastics, but I don't think it has anything to do with an EDM. EDMs are for slow cutting hard metals generally for making things like molds, dies and form tools.

As far as I understand, the Pandora's case is moulded in color. That is, the plastic that's put into the moulds is already black - so there's nothing to paint. So even if it did chip, there would just be more black plastic underneath the surface.

originally they were gonna go without paint, but the plastic was all swirly and looked bad.

From what I've found - and understood - about that tech, it can be used to give a grainy texture to the metal.

Maybe they want an electrosparked mould, to have this grainy texture on the external face of the pieces.

That kind of finish is pretty useful to hide the plastic color's imperfections.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've found - and understood - about that tech, it can be used to give a grainy texture to the metal.

Maybe they want an electrosparked mould, to have this grainy texture on the external face of the pieces.

That kind of finish is pretty useful to hide the plastic color's imperfections.

Yep, exactly. The iControlPad has such finish on the mould.

We sent an iCP sample case to China to tell them we want it to look like that.

It's also cheaper and faster without painting.

Back