P2 Slackware as default?

The successor will probably use an eMMC card for internal storage, so the space question, and somewhat the package indexing time, will be less of a problem than it'd be for the pandora today.
No only probably, it WILL use one.

Are there even 512MB / 1GB eMMCs? If yes, then they're probably as expensive as 8GB ones ;)

And break everything else. :(

At least there'd be no multi-arch problems to deal with; either something is compiled for ARM or it isn't.
I never had a Debian testing breaking on me, but I had Ubuntu stable breaking itself on an update at my sisters PC (so bad it didn't even boot anymore).

And ArchLinux testing doesn't boot every few months unless you fix it manually ;)

What will be the default DE
what ever you want : debian :D
No, bad, bad sebt3. No cookie. Defaults are important, if you present a new user with a huge list of options they will be overwhelmed and not interested in going much further. It may be very easy to change but having a default interface that just works without intervention is crucial.

XFCE seems like a good choice - Gnome is a mess and KDE is rather resource-heavy

Why not stick to XFCE then? Most people with a P1 will know how to use it.

I was also going to stick the latest version of OpenSuSe on one of my desktops, is it worth me instead trying a Debian install instead? or are they really much of a muchness?

Well, it depends.

I've never personally seen an OpenSuSE version do a proper distribution upgrade. But maybe that was just me.

It works fine apart from that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never personally seen an OpenSuSE version do a proper distribution upgrade. But maybe that was just me.
I've upgraded from 11.4 to 12.2 without any issue (that's 3 versions up)
Wow. I tried from SuSE 6.3 to 7.1. Failed.

From SuSE 9.4 to 10.1. Failed.

From OpenSuSE 10.4 to 11.1. Failed.

And from 12.4 to 13.1. Failed as well.

Most of the time, the system didn't even boot into the GUI anymore...

I never did a distribution upgrade (AFAIK). The only machine I currently have it on performs a single task of being an SVN server, and does nothing else.

My question was more of - does it really matter (if I have SuSe on desktop, with Debian on the device)? I guess the answer is "not really" - both will run XFCE (or whatever), and have similar settings and repos, I guess.

What is the most popular / best maintained distro for Raspberry PI? Maybe that can be used? 

Most of the time, the system didn't even boot into the GUI anymore...
This append with Debian too if you use non-free video driver. It's a very common problem.
Ah, that might be an issue, as I usually use Debian for servers and don't care about the video driver ;)

But with OpenSuSE, I had the issue that it was SOMEHOW working, but pretty unstable after an upgrade, even after fixing the video driver.

rPi is ARMv6.

But the best maintained one is probably their version of debian.
I don’t think we already know what the SOC will be, but if it is a different ARM processor can it be recompiled? Or doesn't it work like that with distro's?

Sure. But then, they're better off just basing it on a stock debian anyway. Most of the raspberry pi specific stuff won't work on the successor anyway. I highly doubt it'll be a broadcom SoC in it. In fact, I really, really, really hope it won't be one :p

I'm fine with any good Linux as long as we can install/use another ^^.

The huge debian repo and popularity is clearly a plus.

Yeah, my SL4P build system is a bit messy (lesser with time), but i had no choice as i wanted to make something very modular.

It's also a reminder and it's somewhat easy to understand/manage.

Fast boot/systemd has less meaning when booting on a fast device, and anyway can be achieved with some tricks.

Xfce is good.

Maybe a phone-like wm would be also good ? Can minimenu be tweaked to be scrolled with the finger ?

Is armhf or armel planned ?

Back