P2 Slackware as default?

The unit will come preinstalled and ready-to-use like the current Pandora.

And there will also be full-flash images ready, same as before.

By default, we'll most probably have the Debian stable repositories enabled, but anyone can switch them to testing, unstable or even experimental.

It's up to the user whether he wants bleeding edge but might have to reinstall the unit or whether he wants it safe and stable.

We'll keep our own enhancements in our own repository, which will (of course) also be enabled as default.
 Sounds great. Would now be a good time to start considering improvements to the PND system that can be made? We've had it for a while now, so I'm sure that everyone is aware of what it does well and where it could use some improvement. It might be a good idea to get those ideas on the table so they can be looked at while prepping this new OS image.

Offtopic, but we'll still be able to boot from SD in case our OS becomes borked, right?

Using XFCE would be fine. It's fast, it has a light footprint - what's not to like?
Agreed. I second XFCE for default DE.

-God Ginrai

Cyanogenmod is taking a business approach to their releases: you can now pay them to build and maintain an Android release for your system. This may be something worth looking into. It'll probably turn out to cost far more than it'd actually be worth but it doesn't hurt to investigate.
Make it official replicant support though. https://plus.google....sts/L8FJkrcahPs
damn, doesn't sound good. I was hoping for more privacy features. I like AOKP better anyway. Its fast, stable and it comes with a lot of fetures and (humor) xD

Besides I'd rather donate to guys not caring about what google doesn't want them to include.

Last edited by a moderator:
Debian is fine, personally I would have preferred Arch, for the package manager alone (really do not like apt systems) and tiny base install.

But arch IS rolling release and like ED said you could end up with a broken system if you do not keep up to date. There have been issues in the past where you really had to read their front page and manual intervention was required to not have a broken system, especially if you hadn't done a full system upgrade for a while.

awesome is available for armel on debian so I know which wm I'll be using. :)

Defaults.. XFCE is good, lightweight and easy to use for newcomers. But a minimenu alternative UI should also be shipped.

For a handheld device I do believe a lot of people just want fast and easy access to all their commonly used applications and games ready to launch right after they boot up. Perhaps with touchscreen drag-and-drop features to make categories/folders like on tablets/smartphones.

Debian testing is also rolling release, except for when you go with the codename and that testing branch gets frozen pending a new stable release of said codename. If you go testing its rolling forever.  The netinstaller images of debian are very minimal. If you want embedded type minimal there is emdebian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back