P2 Slackware as default?

Given that we'll have a lot of internal space, I think I'd be possible to keep a armel chroot around for compatibility with Pandora 1 software?

Puppy Linux maybe? It is my absolute favorite rescue distro. I thought they also had an ARM version that was based on Ubuntu? 

Codec pack is not included for legal reasons
And only the "Free" midi instruments can be included for the same reason which, while good, are not as earth shatteringly amazing as some of the non-Free instrument fonts.

The successor will probably use an eMMC card for internal storage, so the space question, and somewhat the package indexing time, will be less of a problem than it'd be for the pandora today.
No only probably, it WILL use one.

Are there even 512MB / 1GB eMMCs? If yes, then they're probably as expensive as 8GB ones ;)
Please go large on the eMMC? We want to be able to run a full desktop OS and have general repository packages be able to live on the eMMC. I.e. treat it like a system HDD. So, a bit of headroom would be appreciated. Bare minimum poverty pack IMHO is 8GB. I'd prefer at least 32GB.

That or maybe this is a sub-model differentiation factor? Maybe have two versions of the device, one with 8GB eMMC and one with 32GB that sells for 50 to 100EUR more?

8 GB is lot. Anything over 16 GB is overkill imo.

Not even on my desktop have I managed to use up 16 GB on /
Now set up a dual boot system with full Debian and full Android (Cyanogenmod?). Download to the eMMC all software that you want to be static-tied to the device and not subject to card removal. LibreOffice, media players, browsers, swap file, user profiles, each user's personal data files (/home/userid), etc...

8GB feels WAY too thin to me. 16GB feels OK, but may get tight. 32GB feels roomy. 64GB would likely be overkill.

I've never personally seen an OpenSuSE version do a proper distribution upgrade. But maybe that was just me.
I've upgraded from 11.4 to 12.2 without any issue (that's 3 versions up)
Wow. I tried from SuSE 6.3 to 7.1. Failed.

From SuSE 9.4 to 10.1. Failed.

From OpenSuSE 10.4 to 11.1. Failed.

And from 12.4 to 13.1. Failed as well.

Most of the time, the system didn't even boot into the GUI anymore...
Ive used opensuse quite a bit. Ive always done a clean install, although everyone seems to claim you can just change the repos to the new ones.

If you save you home dir, pretty much everything personal is saved. Only problem is time wasted installing all the previous packages.

I finally have my 13.1 installs back to par of my previous 12.4.

Tumbleweed is always an option.

What is the most popular / best maintained distro for Raspberry PI? Maybe that can be used? 
The default image, Raspbian, is based on *gasp* Debian/wheezy, with some minor modifications to fit constraints on the Pi. For example, they don't use pdiffs, and remove most old packages from the cache automatically.

Personally, I would be very happy with Debian as the default OS on a Pandora successor. Perhaps a model similar to LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) would be possible - they're doing rolling updates from Debian/testing, and even that works very well, from my experience (as it should, when executed with care by the distribution builders).

I also don't buy into the systemd frenzy - currently, you're losing nothing actually valuable by not using it. And the future might turn out different from what the systemd people envision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Debian unstable sounds like a good idea to me.

About the size of the internal storage: it all depends on what is available for what price. I'd pick the biggest size that still has a good size/price ratio. Does anyone have any idea about the prices? E.g. if 16GB costs twice as much as 8GB, I'd go for 16GB, but if 32GB costs three times as much as 16GB, I'd stay with 16GB.

8GB should be enough to fit any standard distro, and if we're a bit careful then even 4GB should be enough. But more is always better - there is no such thing as "too much", only "too expensive" :)

The limited impression of Debian I have gained also places it as the distribution I feel would fit the bill.

It is not as heavy and "whimsical" as Ubuntu (which, if all flying and shining many would love). Repackaging Ubuntu would be almost as hard a repackaging Slackware, but for exactly the opposite reasons (OK, this was such a complicated thought I even confuse myself now, but it made sense while my fingertips did the work so I'll let it stay in this post :unsure: )

It sounds like Debian is predictable and fairly easy to maintain, configure, update and redistribute. It makes perfect sense as far as I can see.

For me personally, what is in there at first boot matters very little, because it'll end up looking and functioning like what I'm turning the Pandora version of Slackware into at the moment in any case.

As for XFCE... it's a Windows95 startbutton+taskbar clone? Being the one in SuperZaxxon? Is that how it always works: Start, taskbar, widgets in the taskbar?

Reason I'm wondering: The kids I teach are no longer into that stuff... these teens I see daily practically see the whole concept as "doing it granpa style". And that despite W7 still being widely used!!! Is there no problem at all with that, assuming the <insert poll result here> is destined to hang around in the marketplace for a few years to come?

Just take a look at SZ? Hello 90's, anyone (no offence to those who labored to get it to a working state)?

The only eMMC I can find from normal distributors is like $70 for 32 GB at quantities of 1000. $27 for 16 GB and $14 for 8 GB. So it's probably going to be somewhere between rohezal's numbers and the ones I found.

As for XFCE... it's a Windows95 startbutton+taskbar clone? Being the one in SuperZaxxon? Is that how it always works: Start, taskbar, widgets in the taskbar? Reason I'm wondering: The kids I teach are no longer into that stuff... these teens I see daily practically see the whole concept as "doing it granpa style". And that despite W7 still being widely used!!! Is there no problem at all with that, assuming the is destined to hang around in the marketplace for a few years to come? Just take a look at SZ? Hello 90's, anyone (no offence to those who labored to get it to a working state)?

I Agree, we need to go back to the command line on start up. The Teens need to start a bit further back than the 90's..

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I would be very happy with Debian as the default OS on a Pandora successor. Perhaps a model similar to LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) would be possible - they're doing rolling updates from Debian/testing, and even that works very well, from my experience (as it should, when executed with care by the distribution builders).
Debian seems to be fine and I found this comment on the  Raspbian site : The port is necessary because the official Debian wheezy armhf release is compatible only with versions of the ARM architecture later than the one used on the Raspberry Pi (ARMv7-A CPUs and higher, vs the Raspberry Pi's ARMv6 CPU).

The limited impression of Debian I have gained also places it as the distribution I feel would fit the bill.

It is not as heavy and "whimsical" as Ubuntu (which, if all flying and shining many would love). Repackaging Ubuntu would be almost as hard a repackaging Slackware, but for exactly the opposite reasons (OK, this was such a complicated thought I even confuse myself now, but it made sense while my fingertips did the work so I'll let it stay in this post :unsure: )

It sounds like Debian is predictable and fairly easy to maintain, configure, update and redistribute. It makes perfect sense as far as I can see.

For me personally, what is in there at first boot matters very little, because it'll end up looking and functioning like what I'm turning the Pandora version of Slackware into at the moment in any case.

As for XFCE... it's a Windows95 startbutton+taskbar clone? Being the one in SuperZaxxon? Is that how it always works: Start, taskbar, widgets in the taskbar?

Reason I'm wondering: The kids I teach are no longer into that stuff... these teens I see daily practically see the whole concept as "doing it granpa style". And that despite W7 still being widely used!!! Is there no problem at all with that, assuming the <insert poll result here> is destined to hang around in the marketplace for a few years to come?

Just take a look at SZ? Hello 90's, anyone (no offence to those who labored to get it to a working state)?

If we want to attract the iCrowd, we need to make a flat piece of glass with a 20min battery life and minimal user privs out of the box, as well as a data-sharing contract with a certain three-letter-organisation.

Any takers?

As for XFCE... it's a Windows95 startbutton+taskbar clone? Being the one in SuperZaxxon? Is that how it always works: Start, taskbar, widgets in the taskbar? Reason I'm wondering: The kids I teach are no longer into that stuff... these teens I see daily practically see the whole concept as "doing it granpa style". And that despite W7 still being widely used!!! Is there no problem at all with that, assuming the is destined to hang around in the marketplace for a few years to come? Just take a look at SZ? Hello 90's, anyone (no offence to those who labored to get it to a working state)?
I Agree, we need to go back to the command line on start up. The Teens need to start a bit further back than the 90's..
Dont force your elitist bullshit on others. I can use Bash just fine when I need to but dont make me

Back