P2 OS other than Android - SL4P? Angstrom? Other?

Switching between Ubuntu and Android. It's a dream come true.
but never saw a practical application for it until today when it dawned on me to put 2 and 2 together
Switching between Ubuntu and Android, then from Android to Ubuntu. I now feel like i lost my time porting something else...

There is a catch. It hasn't been released. They are trying to license the software to companies (which none of them will do) so now Conical is stuck. They spent a lot of time and money developing this OS, but now they have nothing to do with it. We would need to convince them that Open Surce is the way to go. (We could try and find a way to help them recoup their costs if that is a major barrier)

Switching between Ubuntu and Android. It's a dream come true.
but never saw a practical application for it until today when it dawned on me to put 2 and 2 together
Switching between Ubuntu and Android, then from Android to Ubuntu. I now feel like i lost my time porting something else...

Don't worry - SL4P is still in the thread title. Right now Angstrom and Slackware (SL4P) are the two most developed OS's for the Pandora.

What is this You-bunt-two stuff about anyway? :)

I like mint very much too, but I know it's not good for pandora. Xubuntu would be great I guess (No ubuntu with unity please!!!). Or perhaps a good old debian,..Anything with apt-get :)

Something important : Pandora 1 PND system should be compatible with the P2. I don't think the pandora project would be that great without its unique repo.

Debian has an officially arm port for its kernel. You can run it without building it for your device. Just a few cpus are supported but it will become more. Debian is one of the most used linux (as base for ubuntu) ever. Maybe take a debian and install ubuntu-netbook gui or something.

No no no, its an entirely new OS that has two interfaces and is able to run both ubuntu software and android software
Thanks for the heads-up CJ. This is Option #3 I addressed in my thread "Integrating Android and Linux"

If canonical has done most of the heavy lifting to get linux apps to run under Android, porting our existing apps and emulators might just require adding framebuffer support and recompiling. This should definitely be put on Ed and Craig's OS menu.

No no no, its an entirely new OS that has two interfaces and is able to run both ubuntu software and android software
Thanks for the heads-up CJ. This is Option #3 I addressed in my thread "Integrating Android and Linux"

If canonical has done most of the heavy lifting to get linux apps to run under Android, porting our existing apps and emulators might just require adding framebuffer support and recompiling. This should definitely be put on Ed and Craig's OS menu.

Already had a convo with ED. He doesn't seem that interested simply because Ubuntu is so comercial

Seeeejaaaay

Advanced Member

Sent Yesterday, 08:05 PM

Hey ED,

mind checking out page two of this thread? http://boards.openpa..._20#entry207443

I'm curious what your opinion is on Ubuntu for Android (Its an OS that Conical is making that runs Ubuntu and Android on the same kernal - I thought it might make a good default OS for the P2)

CJ Johnson

EvilDragon

Administrator

Sent Yesterday, 08:59 PM

Well, Ubuntu has become worse during the last years.

It's now a terrible and slow OS in my opinion. As long as they keep moving farther and farther away from Linux, I'm not sure I would like to use this OS on a Pandora 2...

Seeeejaaaay

Advanced Member

Sent Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Did you checkout the video? I posted a link to Engadget with a video showing it off

CJ Johnson

Seeeejaaaay

Advanced Member

Sent Yesterday, 09:03 PM

Here it is

http://www.engadget....droid-hands-on/

CJ Johnson

EvilDragon

Administrator

Sent Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Yes, and it's typical for Ubuntu:

"The bad news? It needs to be faster -- a lot faster. "

Ubuntu has become slower than Windows on PCs, it's bloated, unoptimized, has the weirdest desktop ever (Unity) and creates its own Linux forks...

Seeeejaaaay

Advanced Member

Members

Sent Yesterday, 09:07 PM

Thats a shame. Well, in any case, would it be possible to do something similar with Angstrom on the Pandora?

CJ Johnson

EvilDragon

Administrator

Sent Yesterday, 09:15 PM

Sure, it's possible with every Linux, and it is actually nothing new.

AlwaysInnovating made this with multiple OSes quite a while ago:

https://www.alwaysin...oducts/aios.htm

Seeeejaaaay

Advanced Member

Sent Yesterday, 09:16 PM

Wow! Thanks for the link! Is there a version of that boots on the Pandora?

CJ Johnson

EvilDragon

Administrator

Sent Yesterday, 09:18 PM

Nope, only on the BeagleBoard.

AlwaysInnovating OS is Angström as well, BTW

Seeeejaaaay

Advanced Member

Sent Yesterday, 09:19 PM

So is there something like this that uses a better desktop linux (not unbuntu) that could be used with the Pandora?

CJ Johnson

EvilDragon

Administrator

Sent Today, 05:10 AM

This could be used with any OS, even the current one, if someone implements it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Always Innovating has just released a “Super-Jumbo” image (FREE) for the hacker-friendly $149 BeagleBoard that allows users to switch operating systems, with a touch a button, without having to reboot or make use of virtualization. As you’ll see in the demo below, the 1Ghz ARM OMAP3 chip on the BeagleBoard capably runs AIOS (an Ångström fork)..."

Whoa nelly -- that could run on the pandora 1!?

http://alwaysinnovating.com/beagleboard/

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/yseT4USH8SY

It installs to SD card and uses uboot!

"the image is 3.9GB once extracted... Then three partitions should be created:

* the first (0.8GB) will mainly contain the x-loader, u-boot, and the kernel

* the second (2.6GB) will contain the rootfs of all the four operating systems installed (AIOS, Android Gingerbread, Ubuntu Maverick, ChromiumOS)

* the third (0.5GB) is a swap partition"

Tell me this can run on Pandora! How about that to boost 1Ghz sales - switch between 4 operating systems...

EDIT

One modification needed would be to map the beagleboard's "user button" to something else (power switch on pandora) to switch between OSes.

Should this get its own thread? How about a bounty!

Edit2: Limitations

3D

So far, it's not possible to use the GPU of your beagleboard for both AIOS and Android when they are running at the same time. When starting Android from AIOS, we indeed need to unload the 3D kernel modules so that Android can use them full time.

Sound

So far, when starting Android from AIOS, it will preempt the hardware, so sound will stop functioning in AIOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should post that over into the software development area - it deserves more light that it's likely to see in the P2 spam folder.

Back