Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can we do with remote Desktop? Playing todays PC Games per remote with the Handheld? :) Would be very funny. :lol:

By the way, still no Infos from Craigix? Hm, I hope the sponsors of the project get their samples quickly and then I hope they are satisfied with the Design of the Device, only after that we will get results for the whole comunity afaik. ^^"""

fusion_power said:
What can we do with remote Desktop? Playing todays PC Games per remote with the Handheld? :) Would be very funny. :lol:
hehe, yeah, reminds me of what I used to do in sysadmin school. We all had our computers on UltraVNC and all with the same password, and I brought GTA SA and shared it, and many people besides me on the last row would play it. And occasionally I would VNC to one of my neighbours while they'd be playing San Andreas and control it remotely (I'd watch directly their screen tho). It was really unresponsive so that made it hard to play, so maybe that would be the best thing to control games.

That would be cool if there could be some sort of VNC without any image tho, so that you could just use the Craiginator as a joystick/keyboard. Anyways, more seriously, with RDP/VNC, you can for example remotely control the video/music being played from your PC without having to get up, or you can initiate the streaming of a video through VLC so that on the Craiginator you can play the stream, or more generally do whatever you do on your PC remotely.. hehe. The cool thing about doing actual work/chat remotely is that you rely on your PC to keep the info/not drop the connection. That's cool if you might have to change your console's battery, or if the WiFi connection is unstable.

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
Considered how utterly simple it is to install a VNC server on Windows XP I wonder why one would even begin to consider considering bothering with Remote Desktop.
Like I said, Remote desktop is built in, so no need to start installing yet more software that requires to be run in the background, such as a VNC server.

I agree, people will want Remote Desktop, but I'm not sure it's as big as you think it is. You still have to configure it, get your firewall to recognize it, and make sure you have XP Professional - same hassle with installing a VNC server.

Configure: Tick the checkbox.
Firewall: I don't bother with one, they are too much hassle.
XP Pro: Well, I think this is a given. Does anyone actually use XP Home? I had it preinstalled on a laptop once, but that lasted about an hour before it was formatted and XP Pro installed.

I wouldn't even know where to start with UltraVNC. Granted it's probably easy, but when you are used to one way of doing things, you rarely go in a different direction just for the sake of it. Saying that, I tried various vnc-type apps before RDP, and they were all quite poor - RDP is the fastest I've used.

Squidge said:
A_SN said:
Considered how utterly simple it is to install a VNC server on Windows XP I wonder why one would even begin to consider considering bothering with Remote Desktop.
Like I said, Remote desktop is built in, so no need to start installing yet more software that requires to be run in the background, such as a VNC server.

I agree, people will want Remote Desktop, but I'm not sure it's as big as you think it is. You still have to configure it, get your firewall to recognize it, and make sure you have XP Professional - same hassle with installing a VNC server.

Configure: Tick the checkbox.
Firewall: I don't bother with one, they are too much hassle.
XP Pro: Well, I think this is a given. Does anyone actually use XP Home? I had it preinstalled on a laptop once, but that lasted about an hour before it was formatted and XP Pro installed.

I wouldn't even know where to start with UltraVNC. Granted it's probably easy, but when you are used to one way of doing things, you rarely go in a different direction just for the sake of it. Saying that, I tried various vnc-type apps before RDP, and they were all quite poor - RDP is the fastest I've used.

Oh I see, so you're pretty much talking out of ignorance. No way in hell RDP is faster than UltraVNC anyways, nothing beats the Ultra or Tight compressions.

Hmmmmm..... C32X + GIO (Gaming I/O interface) = media center - controlled by PC/HID Remote & streaming A/V over WIFI... WORSHIP THE NIFTY!!! :D

Can anyone confirm if the C32X will be supporting HID? If so, then for portable gaming all you would need is a simple bracket to clamp a standard HID gamepad to the bottom edge of the main unit and a way wrap up the extra cord. Simple, cheap, effective; my three favourite words. :)

A_SN said:
Squidge said:
DeadlyDad said:
You could even use WIFI to (transparently) control a 800x480 window on your PC's monitor with its keyboard & mouse.
That's one of the apps that will be ported first I think. Remote desktop :)

Remote desktop?? Why not the superior Ultra VNC? Plus it won't have to be ported, as VNC viewers are already in the Debian ARM repo.

RDP is in every way superior to the VNC protocol.

Sadly for me, I have only Windows XP home. :(

supaimposter said:
Im confused has the craiginator been officaly named C32X or is this some other handheld :)
It's just DeadlyDad's name for the Craiginator, kindof like how some people called it the GP3X.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
supaimposter said:
Im confused has the craiginator been officaly named C32X or is this some other handheld :)
It's just DeadlyDad's name for the Craiginator, kindof like how some people called it the GP3X.

-God Ginrai

Maybe we should call it the GP32XXX - "It's so awesome, it's robosexual!!!" :lol:

So wait, would it be possible to use remote desktop to play games from the desktop on the CP32XXX? Because that would be AMAZING. :eek:

Or are people just joking around?

I don't actually know because I rarely run windows, but doesn't directx render directly to the screen so that software like rdp can't capture it. Like when you try to take a screenshot of windows media player

I don't think you can play your DirectX games on it with VNC or Remote Desktop. You can, however, use it as a controller. But I don't know for sure, the most technologically advanced thing I have ever used with VNC was a Nintendo DS. :lol:

VNC and RDP can control DirectX and OpenGL games, but only if you can see the screen of the other computer - the controls have no lag, but using it as a remote display results in about 0.2 frames per second on the controlling device - even over a wireless-G notwork.

A_SN said:
Oh I see, so you're pretty much talking out of ignorance.
Pretty much.

A_SN said:
No way in hell RDP is faster than UltraVNC anyways, nothing beats the Ultra or Tight compressions.
Depends on the data sent really doesn't it? Have you actually used RDP?

If VNC is the same as it was ages ago, then it was based on capturing the screen, transmitting that to the client and then transmitting changes to that screen (usually in rectangle lumps). RDP is nothing like that and replaces the graphics driver on the server, so its much more intelligent to start with, even before compression. You can scroll through text files in pretty much real time under RDP, whereas I've found that in all other VNC-style apps, they transmit text as graphics blocks (=huge amount of data, even when compressed).

Of course RDP(Terminal Services) also redirects Audio/File System/Printer/Other Ports/Clipboard/etc, which I've only ever seen other progs do clipboard.

But lets not turn this into a "My VNC-style app is better than your VNC-style app."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back