Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
A_SN said:
Squidge said:
Why put a 600Mhz processor in there when everyone wants to run at 200Mhz to save battery power? Lets just put a 200Mhz one in at the beginning. That way we save a bundle of cash too :)
It's called choice, and compromises. If you're gonna look for new ways to waste power just because you've got too much of it, but that on the other hand your batteries won't last 2 hours, you need to do some mediating ;)

Which is why I said it should be the default option, and didn't say it should be the only option :)

Anyway, the batteries will last for ages, regardless of clock speed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am assuming, squidge, that you know something about the used lithium-ion batteries that we do not. Sounds promising.

How about, for the web browser, we just reverse engineer IE 6, and then install MySpace, Facebook, Livejournal, and Neopets toolbars by default. And instead of a pop-up blocker, we can have a pop-up creator so we're earning craigix advertising money every time we go online.

Also, I'm running on 4 hours of sleep and have a final I really don't want to go to. :D

the adversting is actually not a bad idea, after all that how mozilla makes money with firefox.
Of course I,m not talking about banners that would be plain annoying, but maybe a deal with google, like mozilla has, to have their search engine as default and get a few cents every time someone uses it with it.

Yrx said:
How about, for the web browser, we just reverse engineer IE 6, and then install MySpace, Facebook, Livejournal, and Neopets toolbars by default. And instead of a pop-up blocker, we can have a pop-up creator so we're earning craigix advertising money every time we go online.
Would we need to reverse engineer all the exploits, bugs and security holes too? After all, those are what make IE6 what it is :D

Vimacs said:
the adversting is actually not a bad idea, after all that how mozilla makes money with firefox.
Of course I,m not talking about banners that would be plain annoying, but maybe a deal with google, like mozilla has, to have their search engine as default and get a few cents every time someone uses it with it.
I hate people who know nothing about marketing. Really, this is just a terrible idea, and it really makes you look unintelligent. I have been in the business for fifty-seven years now (it's going to be 58 once I'm 18), and the only way the Craiginator can possibly make ad revenue is by engraving a 35x35 McDonalds logo on the top. Also, everytime you turn it on, it must have a multicultural advertisement followed by the "I'm Luvin It" jingle. Gamma radiation is a plus since most people that are affected by said advertisements have substantial amounts of brain cancer (yes, Will Smith was right, there is such thing as brain cancer). :ph34r: That kind of ad revenue is usually considered if something is going to be available to the masses (like maybe a deal between Dell and Google). But who knows? Maybe the craiginator will be hugggeee.

I'll sponser it! I'll pay £10000 for every console craig makes with the word "Penis" engraved on it!

Squidge said:
A_SN said:
Squidge said:
Since we have the processing power, emulators such as Megadrive should use scaling techniques such as 2xSaI by default IMO, rather than using the hardware scaler.
Yeah, why downclock when you can waste your energy away ;)

Why put a 600Mhz processor in there when everyone wants to run at 200Mhz to save battery power? Lets just put a 200Mhz one in at the beginning. That way we save a bundle of cash too :)

I think it depends on the properties of each Chipset. A 600MHz Chipset which is designed for 5-10 hours batery life makes more sense to underclock than an 200MHz Chipset designed for 5-10 hours battery life. :)
With 600MHz, you have many free "air" to breath under the 600MHz and to save many power. With only 200MHz you cant much underclock maybe. So at the end, maybe we have a program for the 600MHz machine that only requires 300MHz to run full speed and brings maybe 10-20 hours batteryy life. (I hope) ^^ Same program would need overclocking at the 200MHz machine at the costs of 2-4h battery life.
Big difference. So IMHO with more MHz we can save more power. :)

If this one has a proper "wait for vsync" (unlike GP2X) then there won't be a need to do any of this ridiculous tweak underclocking for any software that actually uses it.

Hello everyone, i'm writing this from an eeepc. We have not posted out the stuff yet, last min alteration was needed which is being done today.

Exophase said:
If this one has a proper "wait for vsync" (unlike GP2X) then there won't be a need to do any of this ridiculous tweak underclocking for any software that actually uses it.
Sounds like programs only take, what they need from the MHz. :) This would be the best solution afaik. Yes, it's not that great to fiddle out the perfect MHz rate for each program like at the GP2X to save batteries. When programs automaticly just use the Clock Speed, they really need to run full speed, it would be a big usability benefit. :)

Squidge said:
Yrx said:
Would we need to reverse engineer all the exploits, bugs and security holes too? After all, those are what make IE6 what it is :D

But of course! And we'll also have to add Windows virus support for Linux.

craigix said:
Hello everyone, i'm writing this from an eeepc. We have not posted out the stuff yet, last min alteration was needed which is being done today.
Ooooh! How's the Eee PC working out? I'm very curious about those things. A bit bummed about the price it ended up with, but I guess there's always the second generation! ^_^
I was thinking about the Eee in relation to the Craiginator... It seems to me like the Craiginator will be a better choice for me as long as I don't intend to write, like, lenghty articles and stuff on it. I mean, it'll be much smaller, with the same resolution on the screen and about the same price, so for something simple to cart around and write short notes and check emails on (AND do some homebrew and emu gaming) the Craiginator must be the best match, right? Especially when I wouldn't have installed windows on the Eee anyway.

As potentially the only retailer of both at the same time, what're your thoughts on that, Craig?

imec said:
Vimacs said:
I hate people who know nothing about marketing. Really, this is just a terrible idea, and it really makes you look unintelligent. I have been in the business for fifty-seven years now (it's going to be 58 once I'm 18)

what a nice person you are. :) see if you can get Mr.T to market it

craigix said:

Am I on the list ok ? pweeeez tell me if you got the address *sob*

Hmmm, Windows moans about its page file not being big enough every time I open Firefox, and you want a derivative of that on the Craiginator? Are you mad?

atomicthumbs said:
2. If you have a second, what do you think about my "Flock as web browser" idea?

zaffercharles said:
Am I on the list ok ? pweeeez tell me if you got the address *sob*
If Craigix wants to say something, he will. Let's not pester him and ask over and over as if that'll do any good. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back