Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exophase said:
WORMSXP said:
2) Unknown. Some people says that it is possible, but I think the screen is too small for displaying the two DS screens.
In terms of both resolution and screen real estate a real DS is matched, although you can't arrange them with nice integer scaling for both screens there are positions that would probably work okay for it.

I know that "Craignator" will have enough resolution but I think the trouble will be screen size, not screen resolution. It would be fantastic, but I won't belive it until I see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@viking, you are just trolling now, and not really very funny! Sorry...

@Deed, Craig seems to have spent a bit of time in the far east, and seems to have a few contacts out there. And there are many devices similar to ours being made out there all the time, and they must be making someone a profit, otherwise they wouldn't be so plentiful! So I would say most of your points about costing might not be valid. And Craig must be doing something right with his business. As I said, he has a nice car, and a nice arcade machine too!(???)

This thread is a bit pointless, we are only guessing. And even if the thing does come out, it will be a while before anyone knows if it makes a profit or not! I think something will appear, and be buyable! But we will just have to wait and see...

WORMSXP said:
I know that "Craignator" will have enough resolution but I think the trouble will be screen size, not screen resolution. It would be fantastic, but I won't belive it until I see it.
Here's a picture of the screen, big enough for you?

CraiginatorLcd2.jpg

I'm looking forward to when the pictures are going to be released, this handheld should blow the PSP out of the water if all the information is accurate ^_^

lubidog said:
@Deed, Craig seems to have spent a bit of time in the far east, and seems to have a few contacts out there. And there are many devices similar to ours being made out there all the time, and they must be making someone a profit, otherwise they wouldn't be so plentiful! *snip*
I guess you refer to this continous flow of chinese PMPs ? They are absolutely not comparable to craigix project : these little devices are conceived, built and made directly in China, they are not high end, they usually are crap copies of already existing devices, and usually they also have a very poor build quality (altough it seems JXD 301 is a notable exception ;))

Hmm, i don't think the two DS screens would fit on that screen, at least without some heavy stretching and letterboxing. Also, to have continuity between the two screens, you should hold the Craignator vertically.

Dead Ghost said:
Hmm, i don't think the two DS screens would fit on that screen, at least without some heavy stretching and letterboxing. Also, to have continuity between the two screens, you should hold the Craignator vertically.
256x192 screen resolution. Two of those would fit on the screen.

k0in said:
I also read about hte craiginator the first time and have not mastered the whole thread ( i tried ), so I have short question - what the main difference between this handheld and say Nokia N810?
http://craiginator.bluwiki.com

This has gaming controls, and is much better.

k0in said:
I also read about hte craiginator the first time and have not mastered the whole thread ( i tried ), so I have short question - what the main difference between this handheld and say Nokia N810?
The Craiginator has a more powerful SoC, an OMAP 3430 instead of an OMAP 2420, no camera tho, a physical keyboard, and gaming controls, which include shoulder buttons, two analog "nubs" and a d-pad. Besides that it's pretty much the same thing, except better and cheaper.

Deed, look, it's simple. The business plan, the financial model, projections, costings, etc -- these only matter to craigix and his partners. They are PRIVATE. Understand?

These issues have absolutely no bearing on the consumer. What do you care if he does lose his shirt in this venture? Since the device is open source (and won't rely on the manufacturer providing updates etc), it's irrelevent to the end users, so please just drop it.

And while you claim some altruistic intent in "just making sure he has a business plan, that's all" -- why not just assume that he does, eh? Assuming that he does *not* have one would be an insult.

Stop thinking it's just one guy in his mum's basement tinkering around.

Jack Sparrow said:
Is this going to have any sort of mobile/cell phone network ability. Like the internet over GPRS or whatever?
No, it's not a Gizmondo.

You can't use the Giz as a phone either - just GPRS Internet and SMS.

I've no idea of data speeds as I've never attempted to use the internet over a mobile phone, but I do know the prices are rediculous.

It will of course, have WiFi though, which means convenient internet virtually anywhere there is a cafe culture :). Without the charges...

Deed said:
But, since people here keep discussing every little detail of this hypothetical (for the moment being) device, I just find strange that no one ever talks about business, rather than just focus on technical implementation details
It's quite simple, really. We are a community of consumers and developers. We care about how easy it is for us to play it, or how easy it is to develop for it. We also care about how much it can do for us consumers, and how much the developers can do with it.

If we were interested in being an investor, then we might want to know more about the business plan, but at the same time, we would probably go ahead and contact Craigix privately telling him that we were interested in investing in the project. This could then get us information and business models.

Lurkio said:
Exophase said:
It's not like anyone knows what craig does or what resources he has, all people know is that he's a retailer, he could be anything else at the same time.
Here are my guesses. ;)

superman.jpg

050617_batman_vmed_5p.widec.jpg

My guess is the second one. Bruce Wayne has a lot more money than Clark Kent.

-God Ginrai

Guys, pleas stop going offtopic and posting such crap...
We mods are also just humans, humans with a life and work, why do you actually have to create posts with the sole purpose to make our work harder and suck time away which is short anyway.
This thread is such a pain to watch/moderate, its big, its fast, and it constantly gets dragged off topic by more or less the same people.
So pleas PLEAS try to stay on topic and don't get rude, theres a point where our patience ends and we will have to start handing out temp bans instead of just deleting the crap.
Getting yourself together is for the good of everyone.

Jack Sparrow said:
I wasn't thinking for actually using it as a phone. More for accessing the internet from practically any location. With 3G networks you can get broadband speed on phones nowadays, can you not?

Either way, no loss as the data rates are extortion.
I don't think 3G is viable for the machine, as I would believe it would require a sim card, and adding that functionality would add more cost to the device.

No, I think wifi is more than sufficiant for internet features, pretty much everywhere has a hotspot nowadays, and it's cheaper than 3G data rates.

The dpad has not been shown as we have been tweaking the design a little, as you might imagine it's a pretty tough thing to design right for this scene! ;)

I think the reason this is becoming offtopic is because of a lack of information on the device recently, the community is getting restless. It's none of the mods or craigix's fault, but we're running out of things to talk about, and it's becoming a bit of a spam thread. The general maturity will peak again once we're given some concrete info/screenshots to drool over.

craigix said:
The dpad has not been shown as we have been tweaking the design a little, as you might imagine it's a pretty tough thing to design right for this scene! ;)
I figured, but that was the only topic I could think of at the time I was making the attempt to steer the topic back on track.

Nova said:
I think the reason this is becoming offtopic is because of a lack of information on the device recently, the community is getting restless. It's none of the mods or craigix's fault, but we're running out of things to talk about, and it's becoming a bit of a spam thread. The general maturity will peak again once we're given some concrete info/screenshots to drool over.
I think you're probably right. A lot of people seem to have the need to post even when they don't have anything to talk about, so they make up something to talk about. I just don't post when I have a lack of content about which to talk. I then wait for someone to bring up something interesting or otherwise, to which I might wish or it might benefit me to reply.

-God Ginrai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back