Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
leathco said:
Have fun changing out that nice, expensive, sleek, light, rechargeable Li-Ion whenever it won't charge 7 years down the road.
7 years down the road, we'll be on the Craiginator II, so that really will not matter that much :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
I'm still curious about video-out with this thing. What kind of video output will be possible, if any? VGA? S-video? Component? Other?
Maybe it will have a HDMI port :p

So the design is finalised now?
Having read through the majority of the posts on here and the last thread it seems that this thing will do all that the GP2X did only faster.
From my point of view as somebody who bought the psp instead of the GP2X, the biggest appeal here would be FPS games. By that I mean that if I can play Half-Life 1 and its mods, I'd buy this in a heart beat.
If N64 isn't feasable, then a full port of Goldeneye would rock.
For these games and I suppose Quake 3, a decent touch screen control system is essential.
I personally feel that the DS, if it had more power would be the perfect platform at least controls wise for FPS games. If the those controls can be emulated properly here, you're onto a winner.
Incidently, I feel that now we've all had our fill of PSP and DS's, this thing could do very, very well just by letting us re-live all our favourite games from over the years right up as far as classic pc games.

So can I see the design now please?
Thanks. :)

Patch said:
First, N64 is feasible. The Craiginator has the power to make N64 emulation not only possible, but playable as well. The only question about the N64 is if we will be able to get Full speed emulation.

As for Goldeneye, that's an N64 game, there is no source released for it, and the only way you would get Goldeneye on the Craiginator is through an N64 emulator. (An emulator that, once again, WILL be possible)

If you want Goldeneye, it's more a matter of asking the great devs to port and tweak an N64 emulator.

-God Ginrai

You may also want to try the Goldeneye Doom II WAD, it's a fantastic mod :)

leathco said:
quartercast said:
leathco said:
Argh, the flames burn!

Just to defend my idea, I really don't think 6 AA's would weigh a lot. The GP2X with 2 AA's seem a lil light to me, so 4, or possibly even 6, should be workable in my opinion of a handheld. Especially if you seperated ithem into two on left two on right and if the other two were needed them on the bottom. On the other hand, if the rest of the community says no, than definately don't listen to me, lol. I just wanna see a platform with impressive sales that supports the homebrew community.
How about this? Why don't you create, for yourself, a dodgy battery pack out of a plug, some wires, contacts and gaffer tape, then you can stuff it with 6x, 12x or 24x or however many AA's you want to. Meanwhile, I will be using my nice, expensive, sleek, light, rechargeable Li-ion based handheld. Sounds good? Thank you very much.

Have fun changing out that nice, expensive, sleek, light, rechargeable Li-Ion whenever it won't charge 7 years down the road.

Really, just an idea, no need to flame away.

Craig said he'd use an inexpensive, standardized pack to do us a facor. :)

saehn said:
God Ginrai said:
Is it really worth it to spend so much time so early on, JUST on a proof of concept?
There's a subtle irony to that question given the topic of this massive thread. :rolleyes:

Are you insinuating that the Craiginator is just a proof of concept and nothing more?

-God Ginrai

Patch said:
From my point of view as somebody who bought the psp instead of the GP2X, the biggest appeal here would be FPS games. By that I mean that if I can play Half-Life 1 and its mods, I'd buy this in a heart beat.
For these games and I suppose Quake 3, a decent touch screen control system is essential.
I personally feel that the DS, if it had more power would be the perfect platform at least controls wise for FPS games. If the those controls can be emulated properly here, you're onto a winner.
I would expect Half-Life 1 to be playable if Valve would be gracious enough to release the source code. Unfortunately they haven't made any move to release the source code yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
As far as controls for FPS go, I'd rather say a good dual analog control is of the essence. I can't see touch screen controls being used for FPS, the screen would probably break in no time at all. However as we know the device will have dual analog controllers I'm confident FPS controls will be good using those. On the same note, the DS would be crap for FPS games because it has no sturdy analog controls (just the touch screen, which might be broken far too easily IMHO).

As far as controls for FPS go, I'd rather say a good dual analog control is of the essence. I can't see touch screen controls being used for FPS, the screen would probably break in no time at all. However as we know the device will have dual analog controllers I'm confident FPS controls will be good using those. On the same note, the DS would be crap for FPS games because it has no sturdy analog controls (just the touch screen, which might be broken far too easily IMHO).

Metroid Prime for the DS actually plays fairly well and is, alas, an FPS. My screen also hasn't broken yet(though my fairly expensive collection of HORI screen protectors helps). I find it controls better then dual analogue solutions as long as you have the 'thumb nub' they stopped distributing for free with the DS Lites. It basically plays like you have a mouse on your thumb and the d-pad functions as the WASD.

Exactly, the touch screen on ds is the closest any console has come to emulating the keyboard and mouse on a PC.
I feel dismissing the concept would be a huge mistake especially considering the touch screen seems to be a given here.
Using 2 analogs is emualting PS2 controls which piss me and many others off for FPS games.
The DS doesn't.

I can't stand playing fps pc originals on a gamepad/ analogs but, I can't imagine how playing one handed with a stylus would be any better either.
How does the button layout work? Maybe if I tried it I would understand better, and maybe that's the only way I'll get to. Anyone who can explain though, I'd be grateful. Just seems that there wouldn't be easy access to weapon switch/ alt fire or whatever else.

EDIT: well I 'get' the thumb nub thing now.. about 20 seconds too late. typical ;) I guess that's how you reach the other controls.. duh

You know, thinking on this for a while, this new console's going to have a pretty large screen up to the DS, and the console's also going to be wider than the GP2X (I imagine it has to be at least a little) , it may not be feasible to have your thumb stretch that far. I'm not against the idea but I'm just saying it may not work out so well. I hope it is an option still, anything to add more options and choice is good.

It even works fine using the stylus as opposed to the thumb nub.
You just kinda hook your little finger or two under the console to support its weight and hold the stylus like a pencil.
It might be an idea to keep the thickness of the console down to facilitate this.
Meaning that if the console is too fat it wouldn't be comfortable for this style of play.

Holding the PSP in my hand which may well be the same general size and shape, it seems easy enough to reach in and access one side of the screen with a nub or stylus. Thats assuming that for an FPS one side of the screen would allow a target area for the stylus.

Why are you guys arguing over what is entirely a software design issue? Or are you mad that it'll have two analogs in addition to a touchscreen?

The thing is that the ds way of controlling fps games wouldn't work on the C-nator. This is because the DS has two screens, and to emulate this on the Cnator, you'd need to dedicate a large portion of it's screen to such a method.

Also, 3000 posts? Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back