Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eolair said:
I also had another thought... what about adjustable backlight? That's one thing I really missed on the gp2x. I think a hardwired wheel would be perfect but a software solution would also suffice. Being able to adjust the backlight easily would also be a great way to save power.
I'd say a software solution would be easier than a hardwired wheel, as you can connect it directly to the processor and PWM it to get any brightness you want. I did that on the MMSP2+ board. It would also mean you could fade in the backlight when you turn it on to make it look even more professional (and the option of fading out when no user activity detected for 'x' amount of time).

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Here is the LCD:

That looks pretty solid but I'm sure it would look better with a case around it, a processor behind it, and some buttons around it.

I like that screen. That is a nice screen. </Donkey> :D

Squidge said:
Eolair said:
I also had another thought... what about adjustable backlight?

I'd say a software solution would be easier than a hardwired wheel, as you can connect it directly to the processor and PWM it to get any brightness you want. I did that on the MMSP2+ board. It would also mean you could fade in the backlight when you turn it on to make it look even more professional (and the option of fading out when no user activity detected for 'x' amount of time).

Oooh, me likes that idea. Now all we lack is a "breathing" LED for the power/sleep indicator... :p (On the off chance that the device will be able to sleep, like a regular PDA).

Any word on whether or not it'll have a realtime clock (would be a great boon for some emulators as well as for PDA and homebrew games/apps)?

Anyway, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, any chance of seeing an assembled prototype soon?

Going back to the analogs for a second, I'm glad to note that the text accompanying the video indicates the metal plate will be visible - great, since the area around the analog controllers will surely be a high-wear area that would quickly become ugly if made in satin-finish plastic. I'm hoping the rest of the action buttons also get metal plates surrounding them to protect the plastic from too much wear.

Just noticed a post by Craig in another thread:

craigix said:
We *may* have some videos soon of stuff running on the new machine, when I say soon I mean maybe next month.
What you will get for around $320 is the rolls royce of handhelds. It will be like the Amiga was when it showed up back in the 80's and should go on for several years.
Quoted for redundancy in case someone didn't notice that other thread... ;)

If I'm not reading too much into this, the above means two things:
The team has (or will have) a devboard for the chip that has been chosen.
In all likelyhood, that chip is the OMAP3430, because if it's the i.MX31 the device can hardly claim to be the "Rolls Royce" of handhelds (there should be plenty of devices using the i.MX31 already, so it wouldn't be cutting-edge, which the Amiga most definitely was, and kept that edge over the competition for years).

Um, come to think of it, the Amiga didn't have a battery-powered realtime clock in it's base configuration... :p Considering the advances in technology I'm hoping the Craiginator will.

Any final word on the brick-safety of this device and whether or not it will be able to boot entirely from an SD card (and whether or not uboot is used - it was responsible for erroneously marking blocks as bad, right?)

Glad to see that prayers are listened to, I've pulled my old A2000 out and also bought an A1200 the other day... I'm sick xD

Can't wait to get my hands on this new handheld... New codename FRI3ND :lol: ...

C'mon Craig, assemble all ths bits and show us a vid of the beast performing...

Please... B)

My first post in this topic.

Craigx - Thanks for some sneaky pics (finally)

I will 100% be purchasing your new machine just out of curiosity, Although flawed i love the 2X and the only reason i bought one after stumbling across some pics (liksang if i recall correctly ... RIP) was for handheld emulation and if the new system gets the same support from all the talented coders out there who have brought the 2X all the wonderful emulators then retro gamers around the globe should be lapping it up. The specs sound very impressive.

That large screen looks beautiful :) This will kick ass on so many levels, just make sure you put together a nice devkit for it, available on release day! Will we see official SDL with 2D-hardware support?

Alex. said:
That large screen looks beautiful :) This will kick ass on so many levels, just make sure you put together a nice devkit for it, available on release day! Will we see official SDL with 2D-hardware support?
Or OpenGL?

Very pretty screen (at least when off - although I'm sure it'll look pretty darn good with stuff displaying on it too :D ), and equally pretty analogue nub. I'll look forward with great anticipation to being able to have one of these in my hands :D

Oh god.
Nice screen, although this thing is going to be clunkier than the xbox controller!

MWeston said:
Those videos are of a dev kit for the analog controller. The newer parts actually have a very nice rubber grip on the surface and it would be very hard to slip off of it unless your fingers are very sweaty.

In the video, my thumb isn't slipping off. I am quickly lifting my thumb to show how it recoils back to the center position quickly.

Oh, and the stick does have a center click, plus it spins like a scroll feature.
Awesomeness, indeed!

PoisonedV said:
Oh god.
Nice screen, although this thing is going to be clunkier than the xbox controller!
First off, I liked the XBox controller.

Secondly, how can you tell it will be clunky by looking at its screen?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
PoisonedV said:
Oh god.
First off, I liked the XBox controller.

Secondly, how can you tell it will be clunky by looking at its screen?

-God Ginrai

Ok, well, it needs a space for the larger screen, two analog sticks, a DPAD, probably some shoulder buttons, 3 or 4 face buttons, and possibly more?

cappuchok said:
Any final word on the brick-safety of this device and whether or not it will be able to boot entirely from an SD card (and whether or not uboot is used - it was responsible for erroneously marking blocks as bad, right?)
I seem to remember craigix or someone else involved saying that the bootloader will be on a separate (probably read-only) chip, so it can't really be bricked. The bootloader will (if I remember correctly) be able to boot from SD, so the firmware can be updated/restored that way if it becomes corrupted. I'm sure that craigix and co. will make it as brick-proof as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back