Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveC said:
I am suprised you would say that considering that you are big into MAME ;)

I am sure you have noticed that there are *ALOT* of games played vertical in MAME. Look at ll of the classic arcade stuff, CPS1, CPS2, even vectrex etc. I think there are alot of great vertical games out there so being able to play those vertical game fullscreen should not be slagged off either. Playing those non-rotated will result in a fractionally scaled (320 doesn't go into 480 evenly) tiny image like below. MAME will be a big part of this system too no? Or is it just going to be dsesigned around PSX?

build the whole thing vertical.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
I am suprised you would say that considering that you are big into MAME ;)
Sorry, you have got the wrong impression, I'm not that fond of MAME at all. I'm not a pirate - I buy my boards where possible :). Still, you have basically argued with yourself over nothing. I didn't say it would be a bad idea, I said that I'd be very surprised if the console were designed with vertical play in mind.

I know perfectly well many arcade games use vertical monitors, the demonstration was not needed.

I'm starting to lean toward the i.mx31 now. It seems like the most realistic possibility. All people seem to want the OMAP for is N64 emulation, and that's not enough to justify switching SoCs.

I had thought when I saw that earlier that that was a pretty neat idea, but I must agree with fusion_power that the ring seems a bit thin, I think it would need to be a little thicker, so that you don't "miss" your directionals. Aside from that, I really like the idea. I would highly recommend your design if the ring was made a little thicker, but it's all up to craig on whether he thinks it will work or not.

But I'm also wondering, that analog nub would be similar to the PSP's right? If so, it might be against patents to do what your design asks for, because it is essentially just putting a ring around the nub.

-God Ginrai

I agree and that was somewhat of a prototype-done-quickly. Thickening the ring wouldn't be that hard either.

As for the analogue, yeah, the nub is probably patented. Though I'm sure there are plenty of different ways to create a nub-like interface without infringing the patent, which does need to be fairly specific. Heck, even using capacitance would work.

Or maybe have a full pop-out stick. It'd be like that other d-ring-ish idea with the screw in stick, but the stick would just telescopically pop out sort of like how the Kenwood car stereo decks do it.

Or use the screw-in idea but have the analogue stick be the top of the stylus(you would unscrew the stylus' head and it'd be the analogue stick) so that it would avoid too much extra stuff snapped to the console.

But all in all, as long as there is a digital pad of some sort. Analogue takes second place.

As long as people remember that the analogue sticks found in console pads uses a mechanism that's about 1cm thick, so if they want it uber thin, it's not a good idea.

Ive been playing with X-code's design and have come up with this.

photo-13414.jpg

Having the detatchable keyboard would make it easyer to use either way, also ive added 2 new shoulder buttons on the bottom/top and a start and select button either side of the screen.

PLEASE don't try and be all creative, inventive and sh*t when it comes to the controls.
PLEASE just go for something that has proven to work.

realyst said:
I had thought when I saw that earlier that that was a pretty neat idea, but I must agree with fusion_power that the ring seems a bit thin, I think it would need to be a little thicker, so that you don't "miss" your directionals. Aside from that, I really like the idea. I would highly recommend your design if the ring was made a little thicker, but it's all up to craig on whether he thinks it will work or not.

But I'm also wondering, that analog nub would be similar to the PSP's right? If so, it might be against patents to do what your design asks for, because it is essentially just putting a ring around the nub.

-God Ginrai

I agree and that was somewhat of a prototype-done-quickly. Thickening the ring wouldn't be that hard either.

As for the analogue, yeah, the nub is probably patented. Though I'm sure there are plenty of different ways to create a nub-like interface without infringing the patent, which does need to be fairly specific. Heck, even using capacitance would work.

Or maybe have a full pop-out stick. It'd be like that other d-ring-ish idea with the screw in stick, but the stick would just telescopically pop out sort of like how the Kenwood car stereo decks do it.

Or use the screw-in idea but have the analogue stick be the top of the stylus(you would unscrew the stylus' head and it'd be the analogue stick) so that it would avoid too much extra stuff snapped to the console.

But all in all, as long as there is a digital pad of some sort. Analogue takes second place.

As long as people remember that the analogue sticks found in console pads uses a mechanism that's about 1cm thick, so if they want it uber thin, it's not a good idea.

I'm not sure the telescoping stick would work because it would get pushed in when you try to move the stick around. It would be nice if we could find a way to still do something similar to the nub without infringing patents.

colt chillin' said:
PLEASE don't try and be all creative, inventive and sh*t when it comes to the controls.
Most of the stuff that have been proven to work are patented. ;P

-God Ginrai

I am leaning towards i.MX31 too now. When it comes to openness, documentation, Linux support, ease of availability and price, i.MX31 seems to be a better choice.

I don't know, but for such high performance SoC, I doubt if it's available for electronic geeks in small quantity. Of course, when the machine is going to have at least 10k+ sales with some well-known commercial games available, OMAP3430 goes better.

And sometime later, when there's N64 emulator port available but plays at 15fps, people may start getting happy too :)

Rivroner said:
I have read in some forum that Omap power consumption is like i.mx31 ;)
I've also read that power consumption can be as low as 300mwatts :eek:

There's no question that the OMAP3430 is the performance choice. However, there's the matter of documentation and programming tools availability which to homebrew developers may be more important than cost (I know I would gladly pay £200 or even slightly more for a good gaming handheld using OMAP3430, but it'd be rather useless if there was no documentation/tools available to the average homebrew developer (then there'd be almost no programs and games for it - keep in mind this is supposed to be a

On the gp2x, it seems to me that most people don't bother with the chip documentation - most coders seem to prefer to just use SDL and the others use pre-written SDKs such as Rlyeh's minilib. Very few people actually attack the hardware directly. If the docs are not public, I don't see that as a major downside - everyone will still have access to the raw speed of the device, fpu, 3d, etc.

Turnip said:
Ive been playing with X-code's design and have come up with this.

photo-13414.jpg

Having the detatchable keyboard would make it easyer to use either way, also ive added 2 new shoulder buttons on the bottom/top and a start and select button either side of the screen.

Definitely the way to go methinks, add rounded edges and everyone will want one :)

Squidge said:
On the gp2x, it seems to me that most people don't bother with the chip documentation - most coders seem to prefer to just use SDL and the others use pre-written SDKs such as Rlyeh's minilib. Very few people actually attack the hardware directly. If the docs are not public, I don't see that as a major downside - everyone will still have access to the raw speed of the device, fpu, 3d, etc.
I was going to ask if developing for the OMAP was still possible without publicly available documentation, so thanks Squidge. But I'm still curious about whether or not it would be likely for Texas Instrument to provide docs to assist devs? Since they would be developing on their hardware regardless of documentation (if the OMAP was to be chosen), wouldn't it make life a little easier for developers?

EDIT: grammar & stuff

Squidge said:
Rivroner said:
I have read in some forum that Omap power consumption is like i.mx31 ;)
I've also read that power consumption can be as low as 300mwatts :eek:

There's no question that the OMAP3430 is the performance choice. However, there's the matter of documentation and programming tools availability which to homebrew developers may be more important than cost (I know I would gladly pay £200 or even slightly more for a good gaming handheld using OMAP3430, but it'd be rather useless if there was no documentation/tools available to the average homebrew developer (then there'd be almost no programs and games for it - keep in mind this is supposed to be a

I agree, lack of documentation is not a large problem. Although, if TI is willing to provide docs, that's even better. ;)

-God Ginrai

Hi guys. Golly its been so fun helping and holding hands together. I guess its my turn now.

Enter THE MACHINE:

10lbs of beefy, raw, hardcore-gaming, manliness.
Two joypads, two dpads, 12 surface buttons, 4 l/r buttons, two touch screens, full-size keyboards with reliable hinge-operation, squirt gun, coffee mug tray, clit mouse and a camera that is so cutting edge that it will never grow obsolete. There'll also be a flag and flames, so that people who see you will no that you mean business and that you are full-on hardcore.

'Javacat' -
It wouldn't satisfy me and I also know a number of people that wouldn't be buying this if it was designed like that <_<
Constantly plugging in and unplugging the keyboard is going to wear the connections down more than sliding a keyboard in or out.[...]
The size of the keyboard will be dependent on how it is attached. If it's located under the screen then it will be a bit too small and fiddley, but if it's basically the entire base of the device then it will be much larger. Also, if the keyboard is part of the base it'll mean that it's more weighted, spreading the weight more evenly.

Prepare to have your questions answered and your world rocked. Not only will the keyboard be sturdy, it'll knock your sister up and set your house on fire--and you'll love it.
You like your morning coffee, but you think, "Where is the rest of my breakfast?!" That's right--the machine ATE it. It doesn't share. It OWNS.

'craigix' -
The original plan was to make a low cost machine with a good spec (hires screen, lots of ram, mid range but low cost soc etc) however the view of all the threads seems to point that most people want something quite high spec and don't mind paying more for it.
We are taking all this into account, and I hope we can get the balance right (probably the imx31 at the moment).
Everything is now ready to roll once the final decision is made.

I think I speak for the community when I tell you that, If you don't build this kickass ultimate hardcare game system, then what little respect we have left for you will be gone. You can defenitely count on losing all of your support from me and many, many people who I influence

'cappuchok' -
The only thing that worries me is the lack of documentation around the OMAP, and the possibility (or risk) that the information homebrew developers need to make the most of it (think cutting-edge demo scene quality) will be restricted by TI.

Once our machine is created the OMAP developers might not give us documentation out of helpfulness, but they WILL give us documentation out of FEAR. FEAR is exactly what our creation will strike into their hearts.
Besides that, you will have hot chicks all over you once they see you 'representing with your new friend.Don't forget to squirt some water all over their shirts and take a picture for me.

'Turnip' -
Also thinking with that design the homebrew crew could make 2 player games where 2 people could play using the controls at either end of the screen. Which would be 'unique' an 'innovative'.

Solved. Get ready for hot and sweaty pvp action. Just to make things a little bit interesting, we'll be crippling the viewing angle on the screen.

'cappuchok' -
And to craigix I wish to say [...]

There's no need to say anything else to craig. He'll be building the MACHINE NOW.

'Orkie' -
That isn't necessarily a bad thing, we may well price out a load of idiots in that :).

I hate idiots.

'X-Code' -
I want the best processor, as simple as that, no more, no less, simply the best one. If this turns out as incredible as it sounds, I won't be needing another handheld for the next 6 years :lol:

Solved. 'Still no life, but your gaming problems... solved. Forever.

'DaveC' -
No digital pad, no buy.

No buy here either, buddy. Let's tell Craig how to build this thing and makes sure he gets it right! 2 D-PADS NOW!

'colt chillin' -

Don't try to be all boring and sh*t. Safe is dumb and we're taking craig's money and going high stakes all the way baby! W will make the ultimate machine. There will never be a machine as bad ass as this after its built, and there will never have been a mcahine as bad ass as this.
shut up.
We know what we want. Let's make history gentlemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back