Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
trooper said:
If this handheld was to include everything suggested here, This thing could end up twice as large as one of Ben Hecks projects. We`ll then get 100`s of posts on here from unhappy customers say that this device was ment to be portable, And Wahhh, This device is too big to fit in my pocket, What gives ?.

We need a lean, Mean, Gaming machine.

Trooper
Oh oh! It must also be endorsed by George Foreman! And it must grill healthy food!

Last edited by a moderator:
X-Code said:
heh!, sorry about that, my camera is kinda messed up :lol:
The idea was to show the possible dimensions of the final device, I would guess that it'll end up being approximately the size of a GP2X, but without the battery area bump :)

I took the liberty to improve the brightness a bit :lol: ;)

improvedin8.jpg

Edit: Correct scale

This is a rough sketch to better explain what was in my mind about back triggers. It is not meant to be to scale or represent the final shape etc, I think it could work well.
But if we end up with dual L/R shoulders and it fits well in the hands, there's no problem anyway B)

Edited pic to thumbnail click to enlarge:

Thanks Eolair, I didn't notice that I already had a RetroGrade :lol: ( looks good )

-

zaffercharles That's an interesting idea, it could even be more comfortable if you round the edges a little :)

X-Code said:
zaffercharles That's an interesting idea, it could even be more comfortable if you round the edges a little :)
thanks. shall I leave it here or try to do something a little more detailed?

Yeah I think that Retrograde is looking fantastic up to the others!

(others in the updated pic not other designs - DaveC etc)

I'm going to be executed on the Spanish forums for not providing them more info regarding the prototypes and the possible final look :lol:

"Not making the Gizmondo 2"... Hey, that's good news then B)

--

zaffercharles, sure, why not?... I think that the design itself could be very interesting with more detail... Both middle fingers at that angle would be at quite a natural position :)

I'll go see what I can do, but first- any ideas out there that I could include in it?
and does anyone know of any easy link to any of the dimensions? either the screen or the estimated size of the whole thing? I think some were posted, if anyone remembers better than I it would be a great help :ph34r: . If not I'll get to wading through the thread- I have a terrible memory. Also if anyone with those great computer skills want to have a go at that trigger idea... just a thought I've fogotten how to use Milkshape ;)
I'm going to look into it again though.

zaffercharles said:
This is a rough sketch to better explain what was in my mind about back triggers. It is not meant to be to scale or represent the final shape etc, I think it could work well.
But if we end up with dual L/R shoulders and it fits well in the hands, there's no problem anyway B)

vote + 1 :)

That's looking very interesting, could be very comfortable and also keep the thickness of the unit down while providing a good grip as well. Best-looking solution for the "4 shoulder buttons" problem so far (it's either this or the thicker grips with "regular" PSX layout).

zaffercharles said:
I'll go see what I can do, but first- any ideas out there that I could include in it?
and does anyone know of any easy link to any of the dimensions? either the screen or the estimated size of the whole thing? I think some were posted, if anyone remembers better than I it would be a great help :ph34r: . If not I'll get to wading through the thread- I have a terrible memory.
I'm going to look into it again though.
I did a rough calculation of the screen size in the old thread: The screen will be 4,3 inches diagonal, in 15:9 aspect ratio, which means: ~99,66mm x ~56,19mm, or in inches: ~3,69" x ~2,21". That's of course counting only the actual screen, not any "padding" areas around it.

quadomatic said:
I think we should stick to a smaller feature set of just useful things, like:

WiFi
Slide-out keyboard
Touch Screen
USB Port
I was going to throw Bluetooth in, but it isn't essential, and it probably can be added through USB. Couldn't a microphone be added through USB too?

With all this USB-dependent stuff, we might as well be sure it can support a USB hub as well. :D

craigix said:
No FM, no rumble etc. Less is more.
If less is more, you might as well drop built-in bluetooth as well. It sounds cool, it could be useful, but frankly I'm not sure it's any more necessary than rumble.

I think that a included mic would be great,
first off it would cost next to nothing to add and with wlan we may have online games which would profit from voice communication, would also be great to misuse it as a wlan phone.

X-Code said:
Do any of you seriously consider using this device as a phone?

Just curious :)
I would. It would be great to be able to quickly type sms's with the keyboard. Providing it didnt increase the price much I think it would be a wise move because then some people would buy it instead of a new mobile. We already have the mic and speakers...

Having read the rest of the new posts edited to add:

Whats everyone got against the rumble?

"oh it cant have rumble cos im a bit of a spaz and might drop it"

"rumble will make it too big *whine* like it does with all those massive mobile phone's"

???

If you don't like a feature you don't have to use it. Stop trying to spoil it for other people.

Will that not make it too much like a Gizmondo2? All we would need then is adverts via sms, and we'd be all set!

Squidge said:
Will that not make it too much like a Gizmondo2? All we would need then is adverts via sms, and we'd be all set!
Presumably what you got via sms would depend what sim card you put in it?

I don't want this to be a phone, I was just curious :lol:

I do think that bluetooth should be included if it really isn't going to cost too much, same for IrDA

Anyway, I'll be off, It's time for my "beer of meditation".

X-Code said:
I don't want this to be a phone, I was just curious :lol:

I do think that bluetooth should be included if it really isn't going to cost too much, same for IrDA

Anyway, I'll be off, It's time for my "beer of meditation".
If you don't want to use it as a phone that's ok becase you you wont be forced to. :)

If you dont want it to have a rumble thats ok because you can switch it off. :)

However, as for bluetooth, id never use it, so I dont think it should have it because it would make it too big and expensive. B) :rolleyes:

Craig already stated that rumble and FM won't be included, I suppose that neither will bluetooth or IrDA... No loss , I wouldn't use them either, I was thinking of the rest of the possible users.

And why make this a phone when most people have tiny phones that they would prefer over this in the first place?... I suppose this is evident, but well, I could be wrong ;)

Edit: Ok, maybe he didn't quite state it, but it doesn't look like he want's rumble and radio

I never said that I was perfect, everyone else did :D

craigix said:
Keep it simple. We are not marking the gizmondo2!

:)
It's like you are following my every command!

javaJake said:
quadomatic said:
I think we should stick to a smaller feature set of just useful things, like:

WiFi
Slide-out keyboard
Touch Screen
USB Port
I was going to throw Bluetooth in, but it isn't essential, and it probably can be added through USB. Couldn't a microphone be added through USB too?

With all this USB-dependent stuff, we might as well be sure it can support a USB hub as well. :D

craigix said:
If less is more, you might as well drop built-in bluetooth as well. It sounds cool, it could be useful, but frankly I'm not sure it's any more necessary than rumble.

I don't think he ever mentioned bluetooth, but Wifi he did mention. Wifi is the future :p

I believe rumble does not make since on a handheld because of the following reasons:

-bulk (try opening a gamecube or psx controller). Where the heck do you fit such a thing and still expect the handheld to be thin?
-greatly reduced battery life
-shaking of screen which makes it hard to see things while rumbling/playing
-ACTUAL rumble as in not the shitty cell phone ones. Doesn't anyway know that cell phones only rumble in ONE way? Did you ever notice how your psx controller rumbles? There are two different rumble "types" (as far as I can tell) and such "realistic" rumble requires a motor that has considerable more bulk then a cell phone rumble (since it needs 2)

That is what I believe anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back