Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, people droppng there N64/PS pads because of the vibrate has always been a huge problem.

Turnip said:
Yeah, people droppng there N64/PS pads because of the vibrate has always been a huge problem.
I'm not sure if your being sarcastic or not...

Anyways, gamepad controllers have nice handles to hold on to, whereas a handheld wouldn't, so you're much more likely to not have a firm grip on it.

I agree with PeterM about the rumble affecting the rest of the construction, cost, battery life and things of that nature. It's probably not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
Rumble isn't going to happen because it's patented and the company that holds the patent would probably want a fortune for it.
Patented by who? Both nintendo and sony use it. I think nintendo thaught of it 1st...

The company is called Immersion or something like that, and they hit Sony with a huge lawsuit for not licensing the patent before putting rumble in the DualShock controllers.

Turnip said:
Ravnos said:
Rumble isn't going to happen because it's patented and the company that holds the patent would probably want a fortune for it.
Patented by who? Both nintendo and sony use it. I think nintendo thaught of it 1st...

Nah, I think the name of the company is Immersion Corp.

Nintendo and Sony license rumble from them I think.

But, there's probably a way to do rumble without infringing on their patents.

Those are all good points. Again I don't really care if it goes in or not but if it were to go in it would definitely need to not take up any extra room as people have said and not add too much to the price tag as people have said. Another small thing that I think might be cool would be an AM/FM tuner, in addition to the transmitter that I noted earlier, it would be sweet if someone could make an application to rewind, fast forward, and record radio if this is implemented into the hardware. Also I think it would be nice if an IR port was added. What do you guys think? IR and the AM/FM stuff couldn't be that space/cost consuming right? It would be nice to be able to use this thing as a universal remote in addition to all its other tasks. Are there any other small things that might be cool or useful like the things I've mentioned that might be worth discussion?

mavsman4457 said:
Those are all good points. Again I don't really care if it goes in or not but if it were to go in it would definitely need to not take up any extra room as people have said and not add too much to the price tag as people have said. Another small thing that I think might be cool would be an AM/FM tuner, in addition to the transmitter that I noted earlier, it would be sweet if someone could make an application to rewind, fast forward, and record radio if this is implemented into the hardware. Also I think it would be nice if an IR port was added. What do you guys think? IR and the AM/FM stuff couldn't be that space/cost consuming right? It would be nice to be able to use this thing as a universal remote in addition to all its other tasks. Are there any other small things that might be cool or useful like the things I've mentioned that might be worth discussion?
You've mentioned radio in the last three posts or so :( This is one of those things that few people would want, yet can be added as a USB peripheral for super cheap (like it is to everything else).

In order to understand the scope of the system, it would be best if craigix came out with features that will not be included in the end product as well as what will. I'm sure ED and craigix will keep quiet on a lot of features that are maybe.

If an announcement was made to state that the handheld will not have IR, BT, vibrate, AM/FM/TV tuner; it would make me feel alot more comfitable.

Anyway, a lot of mobile phone games use vibrate. I'm sure they all don't pay for patents. So with a mobile phone vibrate function, I'm sure it will be ok for games.

Exophase said:
You've mentioned radio in the last three posts or so :( This is one of those things that few people would want, yet can be added as a USB peripheral for super cheap (like it is to everything else).
I know I mentioned radio several times but the first time or two I was referring to a transmitter and then I thought it also might be nice to have a tuner, although as I've said these features aren't exactly make or break for me. I'm just trying to throw ideas out there to see what people think. I think a TV tuner would be sweet but I bet that would cost a little bit more money and it wouldn't do much for me since I live in the states.

A TV tuner would be brilliant. You could record stuff to SD. B)

edit: Thinking about it tho the anolog TV transmission is getting switched off soon so you'd have to have digital which could make it difficult I imagine.

I want one of these intergrated into this handheld.

Kitchen-Sink.jpg

If it was made small enough, It could be slipped in just underneath the slide out keyboard, Then i could fill my cup up with water from the built-in tap, Drop in a couple of sugars and a spoon of coffee, Add some milk from my usb powered fridge :rolleyes: , Powered by the handhelds built-in usb host port. I can then wash my cup up in it afterwards. :)

I can definitely see this being a very useful built-in item, A portable drinks maker with intergrated washing facilities. For a machine that may end up having everything, Why not have this too. :)

Trooper

trooper said:
I want one of these intergrated into this handheld.

Kitchen-Sink.jpg

If it was made small enough, It could be slipped in just underneath the slide out keyboard, Then i could fill my cup up with water from the built-in tap, Drop in a couple of sugars and a spoon of coffee, Add some milk from my usb powered fridge :rolleyes: , Powered by the handhelds built-in usb host port. I can then wash my cup up in it afterwards. :)

I can definitely see this being a very useful built-in item, A portable drinks maker with intergrated washing facilities. For a machine that may end up having everything, Why not have this too. :)

Trooper
ROTFL

I think we should stick to a smaller feature set of just useful things, like:

WiFi
Slide-out keyboard
Touch Screen
USB Port

I'm not really sure why you would need anything else. Everything else is just stuff a couple people find useful, and wouldn't be worth it for the vast majority of people. Much of these extras people talk about are things that could be added by USB port.

One feature however, that I think many people could find useful, is a built in microphone (thought this probably could be done via usb...or I'm not so sure about that). Maybe this could be used for VoIP programs. Like, if someone got Skype working on it? Feel free to shoot this down if you find it unnecessary.

I'm wondering whether or not there will be some sort of rubberized grips on the back of the device to make it feel better when you're holding it and make it easier to grip.

Might not be a bad idea.

Is it really being cheap to ask for a little something included? I mean, when you buy a game system nowadays you generally get a free game/demo disc and some batteries for the controller or something.

Depending on the final word on what this machine can do, I very well may pick it up. It depends on many things.

One thing though; I did a little search and didn't find what I was looking for. I take it that this new machine is independent of Game Park Holdings, right? Or are some of the brains behind the GP2X are behind this project, or what?

Vince2501 said:
Is it really being cheap to ask for a little something included? I mean, when you buy a game system nowadays you generally get a free game/demo disc and some batteries for the controller or something.

Depending on the final word on what this machine can do, I very well may pick it up. It depends on many things.

One thing though; I did a little search and didn't find what I was looking for. I take it that this new machine is independent of Game Park Holdings, right? Or are some of the brains behind the GP2X are behind this project, or what?

Read this link...

gp32_console

Squidge said:
quadomatic said:
But, how much more would rumble cost? Does anyone know?
about 25p :)

It should have rumble then! If you have a slot for a sim card so people can use it as a phone i bet you could put it in without getting in trouble.

Since this is stupid ideas day here's a list of stuff that i'd like to see included,

An integrated vending machine, for snacks on the go.

An attached satellite dish for viewing of SKY tv.

Able to attach your dogs lead to it, also acts as a pooper scooper.

Able to fold out into a bicycle.

Has a pop out umbrella for playing in the rain.

Acts as a fire extinguisher.

Contains a clock so can act as a detonation device for terrorists.

Spot the odd one out. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back