Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morwynd said:
Exophase said:
Morwynd said:
A trackball on the right side instead of a second joystick. Am I crazy?
Yes.

Well thanks for the honesty. :D

Seriously though, why not a trackball?

Specifically, for FPS games.

An analog stick is great for movement, but lousy for aiming.

A trackball, while it certainly would take some getting used to, can replace the mouse for fast precision aiming. Many hard core FPS players swear by them in fact, as superior to mice.

It is true that trackballs are good alternatives to mice for FPS games, but if you really want one, you can just go out and buy a USB trackball mouse and connect it to your device (I don't see why that wouldn't work).

Last edited by a moderator:
Series-8 said:
Or Dillo...

http://www.dillo.org/

From the site:

The Dillo project is frozen:

* Frozen, waiting for funds or sponsorship.
* Looking for interested developers that want to work steadily on it.
* Both core developers have regular jobs and have almost no spare time.
* We have a very advanced port of Dillo to FLTK2.

A web browser is too complex a task to develop on a part time basis, and it also is a fast-moving target. I dedicated seven years full-time to it, and I'm willing to dedicate more. This doesn't depend on me anymore as I had to take a job to pay the bills. We made great achievments with Dillo and it would be easy to quickly push FLTK2-Dillo if we could have both core developers working full time on it. This is a tiny deal for some sponsors (e. Cell phone maker), and we wish it could happen soon. Through this time we've been supported by individual's donations, and we thank them indeed for believing in our project and to help make it grow to what it is.

If you as a reader, or user, or interested party have a good idea, sponsorship or development time to devote, please don't hesitate to contact me to try to arrange for the future of Dillo.

-- Feb 25, 2007

Anyone willing to pay their wages, or take up the gauntlet. ;)

Hi all ^^

I have a reqeust to make for this wonderfull mean machine.
Is it possible to add some sort if Line in support for Recording to Wave, Mp3 or ogg in good quality in this new machine.

This would be a awesome thing for the new console.
I think not much or none handheld console devices has it.
i search for it so now and then, because my minidisc recorder is close to breakdown. and i never find a good handheld product that will record mp3 wave or mp3.

please lett me or us know if this is possible :D .

Maybe somebody with a dev board could try out the Opera for Devices evalutaion thingy?

The included NDA doesn't cover one's computer being hacked and having the source code/compiled binaries stolen as not allowed. Maybe somebody should download that and SubSeven. ;)

Orkie said:
javaJake said:
Because the firmware is required to boot the thing. If the firmware is improperly written or whatever, the whole thing won't boot, whereas a browser "installed" doesn't affect the firmware to the point of no return.
Please don't try and educate me on the meaning of 'firmware' :D.

sam fisher said:
Javajake, you should know that Orkie has written his own firmware for GP2x ;)
My ignorance/lack-of-knowledge/assumption shows. :blush:

I've edited my posts.

A web browser is too complex a task to develop on a part time basis, and it also is a fast-moving target. I dedicated seven years full-time to it, and I'm willing to dedicate more.

7 Years just for an little Browser? What is needing that much time? The source of this Dillo thing is only 420 KB, this shouldn't be that much code compared to other projects. :lol:

Hm, I hope, there will be a solution for the new Handheld somehow. :)

Jaylink said:
Is it possible to add some sort if Line in support for Recording to Wave, Mp3 or ogg in good quality in this new machine.
I had this idea for a while, but I never mentioned it since it is almost unnecessary, besides perhaps voice chat. I assumed if we got Bluetooth, microphones would only be a driver or two away anyway. :)

VoIP on this thing would be nice, but I would buy anyway even if we couldn't use it.

Squidge said:
Series-8 said:
Frankly is this supposed device even going to have a VGA (or better) screen??
Try reading the rest of the thread :p

We need a summary of all information known, is what we need. :)

quadomatic said:
Yea, a touch screen is all you need to navigate a web page, aside from possibly a keyboard.

What was that being said before about a slide-out keyboard? I'm not sure that is a great idea. I'd rather there was just a virtual keyboard that popped up when you are entering a web address, or typing something in. But, that would probably take up too much room on the screen.

What about using the stylus for actually writing in web addresses and other things? Would that be possible?
*Mumbles something about the "search" field*

javaJake said:
I had this idea for a while, but I never mentioned it since it is almost unnecessary, besides perhaps voice chat. I assumed if we got Bluetooth, microphones would only be a driver or two away anyway. :)
Nonono. You're not thinking correctly.

Portable softsynth. Real-time audio effects. In-your-pocket DAW. *drools*

Vimacs said:
meh , you dont "have" to pay, we can just fetch the bin from one of the countless other arm devices.
And have everything it's dynamically linked against, and hope that nothing it's statically linked against has device specific code.. somehow that doesn't sound likely to me.

fusion_power said:
7 Years just for an little Browser? What is needing that much time? The source of this Dillo thing is only 420 KB, this shouldn't be that much code compared to other projects. :lol:
Why don't you email them and find out. ;)

atomicthumbs said:
Maybe somebody with a dev board could try out the Opera for Devices evalutaion thingy?
I've tried, but Opera basically told me to go jump of a cliff before they'll hand over anything. Maybe it was the email address I used. I don't know, and don't really care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back