Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squidge said:
God Ginrai said:
BTW, Squidge, will there be a running SquidgeSNES for the new system on release?
What would a console be without SquidgeSNES ? ;)

Oh, I know, but I wanted to know if we would be able to use SquidgeSNES as soon as we got our system. ;)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
Oh, I know, but I wanted to know if we would be able to use SquidgeSNES as soon as we got our system. ;)
Yup, and a couple of others too I would hope :)

Squidge said:
God Ginrai said:
Yup, and a couple of others too I would hope :)

Which systems do you plan to make emus for, yourself? (SNES is a given, what about others?)

Also, will Super Mario RPG finally be playable? ;P

-God Ginrai

DaveC said:
Since it will almost be impossible to please everyone maybe it should be designed so that modular "sleeves" could be attached. I want good 2D game controls for vertical MAME and SNES, the other guy wants d-pad and analog for N64, the other guy wants dual analog, and yet another track-balls and mouse sticks. There is no way that could all be added. So how about a basic all purpose set-up that can be added to? Below is just a concept (I stole the original console design from Eolair, hope you don't mind :) ) , obviously it can be tweaked to be better. Just make the system with the ability to be expanded even if such expansions are not immediatly available. Accessories can be sold later. Yes it gets a bit bigger but you can't have everything perfect ;) The keyboard can't be extended with these options on but you don't need a keyboard for these games anyway.

craigulator.jpg

I really like this idea. Quite a bit, actually. It could be that I suggested it myself about a week back, though. :lol:

And I know I'm late. lol

DaveC said:
My fave idea so far.

If the console has a USB port on the bottom & the extension port, then it should hold most snap on hardware without much more support needed. USB ports etc. have spring action connections anyway.

The PSP idea of having a smaller USB port next to the digital joypad (both using the same contacts) would make adding an analogue joystick very easy. You wouldn't be able to use them for different things but at least it would give users the choice.

In that design, the sticks are too far away from the other buttons, thus making it uncomfortable to play with. The module idea is an interesting idea, but for it to work properly, it would need to be thought out extensively, and it would also cost more. IMHO, Turnip's design, with its own flaws, is a better alternative to the modular system.

-God Ginrai

Oh come on, now. You can't admit that doesn't look cool. ;)

On a more serious approach, though, a modular idea like this could lead to even more kinds of peripherals than the two imagined by DaveC. Definitely something to think about...

God Ginrai said:
In that design, the sticks are too far away from the other buttons, thus making it uncomfortable to play with. The module idea is an interesting idea, but for it to work properly, it would need to be thought out extensively, and it would also cost more. IMHO, Turnip's design, with its own flaws, is a better alternative to the modular system.

-God Ginrai
It is only a concept. And by the way you need to think of the TRUE SCALE of the unit. The unit is fairly small so while the dual analogs look far away in actuality they are probably about the same as a dual shock. Again just a concept, that is no where near final.

Turnip's design is not practical. It looks ok until you get into the reality of scale. The scale is wrong. If it actually came that way the buttons and controls would be very tiny and not very practical to use. Pressing buttons the diameter of a pencil eraser is not realistic. Dual analog, D-pad, 6 buttons, start/select etc all on one unit is just not practical, there is not enough room.

The modular approach is only modular in that it *can* be expanded, it doesn't *need* to be. The base unit without accessories (see first image) is useable for 80% of all emus, ports, and homebrew. It would be fine *without* any of those accessories, just like the GP2X is useable for 99% of all games and emus without the BOB expansion module. The design just allows expansion, but doesn't require it. I think it would be stupid not to design for expansion of some kind. Those ports would also be used to dock with a BOB, docking station, etc.

greenmikey said:
I dont want to be a pessimist but modular sound really pricey
Actually it isn't. What is pricey is having to pay for all kinds of crap that is included even if you don't want it.

You would only be adding a interface port plug(s) on the bottom and a few notches in the back plastic etc to attach the things. Not to expensive.

Yrx said:
Oh come on, now. You can't admit that doesn't look cool. ;)

On a more serious approach, though, a modular idea like this could lead to even more kinds of peripherals than the two imagined by DaveC. Definitely something to think about...

Like maybe a piano type keyboard for music? Maybe drum pads for digital drum machine? Extra battery pack? GPS, camera, homebrew BOBs, homebrew periferals, controls etc? Yes it makes the possibilities limitless.

I still think modular would make the system seem cheap and gimicky. Kind of like adding on one of those magnifying glasses to the old game gear or Lynx, I can't remember which one. I think if we were going to have addons, although I would much rather just have two analog sticks already on the thing, it would be best to have mini usb port type things on each side that an analog stick could plug into. We could also have something like that for a fifth and sixth button on the right side for N64 emulation. Or we could just go with screw in analog sticks on both sides, the left one being below the d-pad and not on it, and there could be a screw in set of buttons 5 and 6 for N64 and Genesis emulation. In summation, boo modulars hooray dual analog sticks and a right side with six buttons.

mavsman4457 said:
I still think modular would make the system seem cheap and gimicky. Kind of like adding on one of those magnifying glasses to the old game gear or Lynx, I can't remember which one. I think if we were going to have addons, although I would much rather just have two analog sticks already on the thing, it would be best to have mini usb port type things on each side that an analog stick could plug into. We could also have something like that for a fifth and sixth button on the right side for N64 emulation. Or we could just go with screw in analog sticks on both sides, the left one being below the d-pad and not on it, and there could be a screw in set of buttons 5 and 6 for N64 and Genesis emulation. In summation, boo modulars hooray dual analog sticks and a right side with six buttons.
Not everyone is like you and wants 2 analog sticks and 6 buttons. Not everyone must have n64 like you either. This is not a portable n64, it is a general purpose device. Some will never use all of those analogs etc. Why clutter up every unit for everyone for something that only some want? Again it is not modular, it is expandable, the base unit would be good for most things.

You wouldn't want it expandable as long as you get the controls that you want. What if it didn't have the controls that you want? then you would have wished it was expandable ;)

You talk of usb ports that controls can plug into. That sounds modular ;)

My advice to craig&ED is to just not implement analogue if it brings about complications to the design.

I've spent 100s of hours playing N64 on a PC, with a keyboard. Having no analogue isn't really that big of a show stopper. With inclusion of an 8-way dpad rather than the wasd on a keyboard, it would be very suitable for me.

Since this is the first device developed by ED, craig and co. it's best not to make it too complicated. A solid, versatile and attractive device should be sufficient.

I think it has become very obvious that people want an analogue, as I do. It'll be great for Q3A in combination with the dpad, but I could settle for dpad, touch screen and left trigger if I had to. It won’t stop me from purchasing this device is analogue is missing.

If I was to design the device, I would copy the layout of the gp2x f200 with two vertical oriented buttons below the dpad to replace the volume buttons. Other than the stick and volume buttons, I think the GP2X was spot on in regards to controls.

4 regular buttons start and select button and "volume" buttons that can work as controls for vertical play as well as a dpad, analog nub and two triggers sounds perfect to me. That wouldn't be cluttered but would have all n64 buttons. If the layout was like the gp2x i would use abxy for c buttons and start select for a and b buttons, the dpad for dpad and the analog for analog plus the volume/vertical play buttons for start. Two analogs is too much, according to wikipedia ape escape which was released in late 1999 was the first game to actually require a dual shock controller.

You know, even if they never design anything for it, I think it would be worthwhile for the new system to at least have the POSSIBILITY of new modules. That way, it could be easily expanded, but not necessary. Even if it were just a USB port on the bottom and a couple notches in the casing for clips. Then, if there were never a true peripheral made for it, it could still be used as an additional general purpose USB port. Then, depending on the success of the machine, various peripherals could be made for specific purposes. And if nothing ever came of a true attachment, hey it's an extra USB port! ;)

Sorry if I'm being redundant. I'm tired. lol

* Waiting for Craig to announce that the team has decided to make the new device round, with the screen right in the middle, spreading all the gaming controls and keys that anyone could ever need around it.

I love the modular idea DaveC, but I still prefer the detachable clamshell design that you made ( it would also allow that same modular approach anyway methinks ) B)

Alex. said:
I think this has been begged to death, but the volume ought to be a wheel!
I think you'll find that it's already been confirmed that the volume WILL be a hardwired wheel (take a look in the old thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back