Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveC said:
This is not a portable n64, it is a general purpose device.
+1

What I'm hoping is they focus more on it being a lower-end UMPC than a gaming device, but with gaming still in full view of course. I think that's where the other Windows UMPCs failed - they had a few more flaws than the price allowed, and a laptop at half the price does the same thing.

Edit: Whoops, never mind. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
DaveC said:
+1

What I'm hoping is they focus more on it being a lower-end UMPC than a gaming device, but with gaming still in full view of course. I think that's where the other Windows UMPCs failed - they had a few more flaws than the price allowed, and a laptop at half the price does the same thing.

They should focus on it being a games machine and N64 emulation will sell more units than vertical mame games so the controls should reflect that as im sure they will. This is not a portable MAME machine. :p

javaJake said:
DaveC said:
+1

Right, because UMPC's are ever so fun. Look into what formed this community, it wasn't spreadsheets.

Turnip said:
They should focus on it being a games machine and N64 emulation will sell more units than vertical mame games so the controls should reflect that as im sure they will. This is not a portable MAME machine. :p
I apologize, I took DaveC's post out of context.

Alex. said:
Right, because UMPC's are ever so fun. Look into what formed this community, it wasn't spreadsheets.
I've only just visited, but I'm learning fast. :)

For me, the UMPC bit that I want is a portable web browser! One with enough ram to be fully usable on the net! My DS, PSP and N95 all suck at portable web browsing. I would love it if this could.

Also, web radio!!!!!

lubidog said:
For me, the UMPC bit that I want is a portable web browser! One with enough ram to be fully usable on the net! My DS, PSP and N95 all suck at portable web browsing. I would love it if this could.

Also, web radio!!!!!
This would be awesome. I would be able to just sit in bed and browse the internet via wifi. Like a laptop (CBA to buy a laptop).

sam fisher said:
lubidog said:

Also, web radio!!!!!
This would be awesome. I would be able to just sit in bed and browse the internet via wifi. Like a laptop (CBA to buy a laptop).

Sod that! I'll buy a Nokia tablet if I want to do things like that. They're much better suited for the job.
Multi-player emulation is all I'll be needing in the new machine ;)

sam fisher said:
javaJake said:
Great, now December looks like a year away... :lol:
Try sometime in spring 2008? I'm estimating May-July 2008.

Yea, I was ignoring that bit... thanks a lot for reminding me. <_<

;)

lubidog said:
Also, web radio!!!!!
I think the web radio part is even possible without a browser, since you could use mplayer. At least, it was in the GP2X, so I assume it'll be in this new fella. mplayer is able to handle all sorts of radio streams, ranging from RealPlayer streams to PLS.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Sod that! I'll buy a Nokia tablet if I want to do things like that. They're much better suited for the job.
In what way exactly?

Tripmonkey_uk said:
...not that the new device isn't capable of such tasks that the Nokia 770 accomplishes. :)

Orkie said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
In what way exactly?

Bigger screen, the backing of a large company, official backing for technologies like Java & Flash, dedicated button layout for the main browsing features etc, better battery life.

It seems like a lot of people are just wanting another all in one device on this thread.. which is worrying. I really hope it doesn't end up just being a mish-mash of other devices like all the rest :(

Tripmonkey_uk said:
sam fisher said:
lubidog said:

Also, web radio!!!!!

No reason why they are any better for it, 800*480 is a nice resolution for webpages on a handheld of this size. This will be far better suited and there is no reason why multiplayer games AND a web browser can co-exist.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Bigger screen,
Says who?

Tripmonkey_uk said:
the backing of a large company,
I don't see what this amounts to. I expect large companies to be a lot more money grubbing if anything.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
official backing for technologies like Java & Flash,
Official doesn't matter if you can get it working (at the very least Java is pretty much a given for whatever platform you want to get it on now).

Tripmonkey_uk said:
dedicated button layout for the main browsing features etc,
It has the generic d-pad thing you see on all PocketPCs/UMPCs and three buttons beneath it. You want to tell me that that's better for web browsing than a keyboard? You want to tell me that that's better than anything (save maybe devices like iPhone)?

Tripmonkey_uk said:
better battery life.
Says who?

Tripmonkey_uk said:
It seems like a lot of people are just wanting another all in one device on this thread.. which is worrying. I really hope it doesn't end up just being a mish-mash of other devices like all the rest :(
If this is what all the rest are trying to do then they aren't doing an effective job. Virtually all that separates these ARM devices from each other are some interface decisions. I've found myself more asking given PocketPCs, which have somehow managed to have more powerful hardware than your typical gaming device (even 3D), lack any kind of means for playing games in a way that feels even remotely comfortable.

Not playing to things such as mp3 playing, web browsing, movie playing, PDA kinda functionality would be incredibly foolish. I know there are a lot of purists out there (the same people who listed "doesn't play DVDs" as a strength of the Gamecube) but this thing needs to have more broad appeal than an incredibly niche device like GP2X if craig hopes to sell it.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Here's what I think is a good compromise for all of us (at least, I think so):

This new device should focus on what it was designed for - a mobile console (media, games, etc.) that has functionality similar to or better than PSP. It should allow for other applications that aren't related to gaming in its API or OS or whatever to come in later, but the official developers themselves would not develop this until the other stuff's been taken care of first. In fact, Craig could promise us web browsing and whatnot, and I wouldn't mind if he kept his promise six months after release. As long as this sort of thing is developed eventually I'll personally be fine.

Mind you, when I said "similar to PSP", I meant a mobile console in general, and not specifically the PSP. I think they should definitely have multiple console emulators! In fact, they'd better, or this community'll hate them. ;)

Exophase said:
Not playing to things such as mp3 playing, web browsing, movie playing, PDA kinda functionality would be incredibly foolish. I know there are a lot of purists out there (the same people who listed "doesn't play DVDs" as a strength of the Gamecube) but this thing needs to have more broad appeal than an incredibly niche device like GP2X if craig hopes to sell it.
This is what I was talking about, only, maybe this functionality wouldn't be released at the initial release.

In my mind, if they focus on the hardware and basic GP2X functionality now, and then improve the software later, this will turn out better. Of course, if they can get all this in in time without losing too much... why not? :D

Edit: Wow! My two replies under the two quotes got merged! Nifty!

craigix said:
The final design probably will have 2 analogues and one digital, but it's all neat and tidy :)
Has anyone gathered all this information into one page? 86~ pages are a lot to look through...

Another edit: You know, I really wanted the above third quote split this time. :p

As I've said, it will be released when it's ready, we don't plan to rush anything. The OMAP situation is a surprise and a delay but a nice one I think you will all agree.

Anyway we have the F200 to play with very soon, that should be a fun stop gap.

craigix said:
As I've said, it will be released when it's ready, we don't plan to rush anything.
This depends on your definition of "ready"... ;)

(What is it, anyway?)

craigix said:
The OMAP situation is a surprise and a delay but a nice one I think you will all agree.
BTW, what is "OMAP"? I Googled it, and I got fuzzy or irrevelant results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back