Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, no more messing around with the volume, a regular wheel will suffice, as in a wheel that can adjust the volume even when the unit is unpowered. That way we won't have to deal with apps that don't have volume input, and prevent deafening by boot-up intro sounds.

Alex. said:
No, no more messing around with the volume, a regular wheel will suffice, as in a wheel that can adjust the volume even when the unit is unpowered. That way we won't have to deal with apps that don't have volume input, and prevent deafening by boot-up intro sounds.
Seems like the best idea to me. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Javacat said:
thepope said:
craigix said:
Using the OMAP chip may result in a system which would be around £199. Opinions?

Come to Daddy.

Damn you and your name making everything sound like an amusing sexual innuendo.

You're either still struggling with teenage hormones or grew up in Catholic school with a randy vicar.

Billy Lee said:
Well he said he was aiming for December 2007 before the suggestion of using OMAP. He himself said Spring 2008 if OMAP was chosen.
Wow!

I was thinking about a GP2X, but you can bet I'll be getting this instead... if it meets my expectations.

So, speaking of expectations, my laptop's dying, so I've looked at cheaper alternatives that do the same thing. Will this new GP2X cousin support IM, web browsing, and maybe *gasp* remote access clients such as SSH or VNC?

If this new device can match the above two internet essentials (I can access mail through webmail) I'll be as happy as a GP2X owner on November 2006. ;)

javaJake said:
Will this new GP2X cousin support IM, web browsing, and maybe *gasp* remote access clients such as SSH or VNC?
Should be able to do that easily enough, yep :)

Exophase said:
What's wrong with Firefox? I assume 128MB should be enough..
Yeah, that should be enough memory for Firefox, which definitely works nicely with Linux.

atomicthumbs said:
if we could get a port for this platform.
Will be doubtful unless we sling some cash at them, I was going to suggest Dillo but since the project is frozen it will need to be updated by the community as well as ported.

There is certainly no shortage of browsers that'd run nicely. Firefox would, though it'd be a bit slow from time to time on some sites.

Alex. said:
You don't have to worry, The volume wheel is already guaranteed. The only way you wouldn't get one is if all of a sudden EVERYONE claimed they wanted volume buttons. (then they might change it) But for now, they've already announced a vol wheel.

-God Ginrai

Mmm... something like portable IRC would be nice too. :)

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, Craig said he'd report back in a month on the 16th of last month... soo... 3 days till an announcement? :D

TyBO! said:
Mmm... something like portable IRC would be nice too. :)

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, Craig said he'd report back in a month on the 16th of last month... soo... 3 days till an announcement? :D
Portable IRC would be GREAT. (Especially if we could get a scripting system for it, like mIRC.)

Also, craig actually said he'd be back in a month on the 11th, so it's actually 2 days past. But I don't think he was meaning EXACTLY a month, just some time around a month later, so you might be able to expect something in the next couple of days. Anyways, I'm finding the convos here to be interesting enough, although I'd like to have craig's input on a lot of our ideas, I think it would better fuel discussion.

EDIT: BTW, Squidge, will there be a running SquidgeSNES for the new system on release?

-God Ginrai

I'm afraid my post will be buried in a matter of seconds.

Summary: Screw-in analog stick would be ideal.

There's no reason to have another one on the right side, using a ps2-like controller (with the left analog stick for aiming) is perfectly acceptable when playing Turok, so how is this any different? Minor modifications would make a PSX game like Alien Resurrection perfectly playable. Analog stick =moving, right hand buttons for moving, shoulder buttons for strafffing, D-Pad for weapon/item selections. Pretty simple I would think.

For PC FPS, I'm not too worried. I would mostly use this for Duke Nukem and Doom anyway. So long as there is an option of some sort in the config to tweak the sensitivity on the stick, it should do fine.

Vince2501 said:
Summary: Screw-in analog stick would be ideal.
Echo.

Imo, the designs with both d-pad and analogue look kinda tacky, or at least unprofessional in theeir current states. I'd much prefer a traditional design but with additional functionality. The only annoying bit is it might be a bit tough to engineer on a budget :(.

Alex. said:
Woo for potential dividers (potentiometres).

God Ginrai said:
BTW, Squidge, will there be a running SquidgeSNES for the new system on release?
What would a console be without SquidgeSNES ? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back