Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
garzyboi said:
and you're a douchebag...
Thanks, I try my worst.

capnhack said:
i quite like the single led idea, and it should certainly reduce costs compared with a backlit kb.
Didn't MWeston say that the extra cost would be a matter of a couple of extra bucks? Who do you think will really use that single led thing that should totally stick out of the console and get in the way of either your hands, the screen or the keyboard anyways? Besides the backlit keyboard could be pretty dim, as you would only need backlighting in the dark, it wouldn't take much power at all for the keys to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuglooc said:
atomicthumbs said:
list of stuff
Is anyone of those especially good? Tried ekiga out with my gf and it sounded like hell.

That's probably caused by your choice of SIP server/microphone/connection settings. Mine sounds fine.

A_SN said:
Didn't MWeston say that the extra cost would be a matter of a couple of extra bucks? Who do you think will really use that single led thing that should totally stick out of the console and get in the way of either your hands, the screen or the keyboard anyways? Besides the backlit keyboard could be pretty dim, as you would only need backlighting in the dark, it wouldn't take much power at all for the keys to be seen.
It wouldn't stick out of the console; if the keyboard is slide-out, it would be in the edge above the keyboard. If it's a clamshell, it would be on the front of the system. Backlighting would be neat, but you could use the Craiginator as an emergency flashlight this way.

A_SN said:
Thanks, I try my best.
Oh I see, well I won't comment on that issue anymore.

Meanwhile,

Did we ever go over the button setup I don't remember if we ever went over that topic or maybe I missed it

but I'm pretty sure were going to get at least 2 shoulders
and 6 or 4 regular buttons

and the start and select.

I'm sorry if someone addressed this I just wondered about how the layout of buttons.

garzyboi said:
A_SN said:
Thanks, I try my best.
Oh I see, well I won't comment on that issue anymore.

Meanwhile,

Did we ever go over the button setup I don't remember if we ever went over that topic or maybe I missed it

but I'm pretty sure were going to get at least 2 shoulders
and 6 or 4 regular buttons

and the start and select.

I'm sorry if someone addressed this I just wondered about how the layout of buttons.

We're getting shoulder buttons. We'll find out the rest soon.

I was thinking about this again before you mentioned it.
I hope for SNES style, 4 shoulders though. Not enough games need 6 on the face and I used to be a SF nut too. What games use 6? aside from those fighters on various systems. Not many Megadrive games were made specifically for that controller am I wrong?

And in case someone says 2 shoulders is fine, yes I know it will work, but if someone were to get psx running, and it was touted similar to the dual core aspect of 2x that it can do psx, it ought to be ready for it physically to avoid negative word of mouth. It seems like an obvious step up to me.

shoulder buttons have to be 2 on each side i reckon. the two analogue 'sticks' cant really be used along with the face buttons so having more up on the shoulders (or over on the back of the case) is important. you could have one on the outside of the corner and another on top too, and that way they should still be easy to hit (with he middle knuckle of your finger) without making the case any deeper.

and yea, the led wouldnt stick out anywhere. it could be recessed in a V shaped groove, maybe with a cover on top so it doesnt collect dust or break the lines of the case. sort of like the infrared led on the end of your tv remote.

MWeston said:
Sure I could throw down a number of 0805 pads for white LEDs and even route them to a PWM controlled current sink, that would be the easy part. I would think the LEDs might add a dollar or two to the cost which is next to nothing, the real problem is the keypad itself.

Unfortunately, this is the part that makes your suggestion unfeasible. The keypad buttons have to have the plastic optics to pass the light through to the top in the shape of the character that button represents. If we were to go ahead and make buttons that can do that, then it would be silly not to put the LEDs in since that part is cheap. If we were to go non-illuminated, the keys would be one solid material as it is cheaper to manufacturer. What about a glow in the dark material screened over the keys? Is that an option? :)

Now, with Nokia's unlimited budget you can make millions of them and attempt any number of prototypes until you get it right, but we can't. So any goof ups, second attempts and final layouts will all end up factored into the cost.

Truth!

Here's an idea for keyboard lighting. A small usb powered LED light, thats on the end of a long flexible stick, which can be positioned over the keyboard.

I dunno how else to describe it, but except for those glow light things for the game boy advance and color.

Glow in the dark keys (whether molded out of the fluorescing material or this painted on) sounds kind of hokey/cheap IMO.

As for being able to crack this thing open, void warranty and hack away, I think that this should be encouraged in the design, considering you're catering to a homebrew crowd anyway :D The GP2X didn't require hacking (we'll just pretend that 'build quality' hacking doesn't count) to use and was fine for most users, but having the possibility for mods is always exciting!

I have a great idea for the lit-up keyboard! What you need to do is sit in a very dark room, start up your craiginator, and then switch on an available light source in the room (lamp, lightbulb, florescent tube etc.)! Problem solved :D

I mean really, how many people are going to be sitting in a room which is dark enough to warrant an illuminated keyboard while simultaneously needing to type? And how often would these circumstances come about? Seems like a lot of posts defending such a (IMHO) trivial and useless feature, which would only serve to delay the final design and push up the cost even more.

Besides, it's bad for your eyes to be looking at an illuminated screen in a dark room: you're supposed to have some other light source, even if it's only a 40 Watt bulb in a corner :p

Nova said:
Here's an idea for keyboard lighting. A small usb powered LED light, thats on the end of a long flexible stick, which can be positioned over the keyboard.

I dunno how else to describe it, but except for those glow light things for the game boy advance and color.
Whats wrong with a EL back lit keyboard, EL and LED are very low power

liquidphantom said:
Nova said:

Whats wrong with a EL back lit keyboard, EL and LED are very low power

It's already been said, a keyboard that has translucent letters would be costly and difficult to make.

atomicthumbs said:
zaffercharles said:
What games use 6?
Besides every single Nintendo 64 game ever made?

Yeah besides that. I wasn't asking for less buttons just 4 on the front, from what I remember those big a and b ones weren't used in a way that you couldn't use select/start equivalent or the analog click on the craig and get away with it. Same can probably be said about 4 shoulders but read on

Also though, 64's a possibility isn't it not a 'definitely playable nicely' so I'd rather it set for what it can and probably will do, otherwise it would just be my preference over yours I'd be arguing. Assuming you'd like to see 6 that is :ph34r:

I didn't spend much time with 64, didn't like them at all at the time. Gave it to my little sister after a few months ;) That and streetfighter alone doesn't turn me to the idea, 4 fit better. And this is widescreen too remember.

Anyone think of any games specifically using 6 buttons you'd need to have on the right side bunched up other than streetfighter kazillion put it that way?

Lastly it's all new to me, I've never needed a handheld before and it will be the first. So it would suit me to just have everything you guys have for ages already running better, I just hope I don't see subliminal hints or worse to the fact it's a psx emulator in advertising, but without mentioning the lack of right controls. That would be a turn off to a lot of potential customers, and sort of cheeky too like the dual core being touted to people that know no different as a good thing. Most of us here are tolerant of problems and interested in playing with things to make other things happen, but Craig/Co. can easily go for people who just want a psp equivalent without the hassles, to watch video and play psx on and never want to mess with much else!

I'm saying, to clarify, I'm not just nagging for what I want, but what I consider a good idea for the platform.

My guess is they don't mind what types they sell this to so noobs' wants should be considered too. I hope they make it right :)

Nova said:

I already suggested this, kinda. A swiveling LED built into the console, which has an adjustable angle and shines onto the keyboard.

Lobo said:
I mean really, how many people are going to be sitting in a room which is dark enough to warrant an illuminated keyboard while simultaneously needing to type?
me

Lobo said:
I mean really, how many people are going to be sitting in a room which is dark enough to warrant an illuminated keyboard while simultaneously needing to type?
Maybe you're right. But if it's only a case of adding a couple of quid to the end price, that's worth it to me. So that I could. I think 200 sounds really cheap for what's being described, and for a really nice product, as opposed to a cheap toy, I'm willing to go up another tenner or two. That's just me maybe.

prairiefire said:
Glow in the dark keys (whether molded out of the fluorescing material or this painted on) sounds kind of hokey/cheap IMO.

As for being able to crack this thing open, void warranty and hack away, I think that this should be encouraged in the design, considering you're catering to a homebrew crowd anyway :D The GP2X didn't require hacking (we'll just pretend that 'build quality' hacking doesn't count) to use and was fine for most users, but having the possibility for mods is always exciting!
Yeah, glow in the dark is probably a bit cheesy. :)

I can't encourage pulling this thing apart to do a bunch of hacking for several good reasons. First, most semiconductors in the design are DFN,QFN or BGA which means you can't even get at the pins anyway. Second, it is designed to give you everything you need externally so there shouldn't be any real desire to break out the soldering iron. Third, most people probably don't have the knowledge and experience to start soldering tiny little 0402 components (as an example) or understand the importance of ESD protection! Finally, we are trying to take advantage of all the internal space so there won't be a big gap to shove a bunch of stuff in like there is in the GP2X!

I am always interested in suggestions for anything if it helps me plan the final board for something homebrew friendly in the future but I think it would be wiser to consider mods that connect to the craiginator and not go inside of it. ;)

MWeston said:
I am always interested in suggestions for anything if it helps me plan the final board for something homebrew friendly in the future but I think it would be wiser to consider mods that connect to the craiginator and not go inside of it. ;)
Cool. :) But IMHO first, we need at least a picture of the CURRENT Board/Case/Design of the whole Handheld, then the real discussion can start. ^^ Since August we discuss in the boards with nothing than plain Text descriptions of the Console. I'm sure the hell explodes here, when we can start to talk about real, seen Designs and Boards. :eek:

Uh, Me don't like an Keyboard in a Handheld. Mainly because of the extra money this thing costs and secondly because a keyboard usualy requires more movable parts into the machine for slide out mechanism or however this thing will be folded together.
But because we know we will get an Keyboard (an QUERZ for german users to I hope) I'm for some kind of button ilumination to. One single LED could illuminate the whole key space when those transparent rubber material is used for the keys, all keys in only one rubber matrix connected like many Mobile phones had (have) Sounds cheap. Of course these rubber stuff never was very save for the printing onto the keys.
Solid Plastic buttons with transulent areas in form of the letters and Key printings could be more "rub-away" proof but I think such an solution would be more expensive.

I really want to see the final solution for the whole Keyboard problem. Whatever you guys do, I hope everything is as stable as possible. My GP2X never felt down but its an good feeling to know to have an device which also could be used as self defending weapon or for nailing a nail into a wall ;)

fusion_power said:
(an QUERZ for german users to I hope)
Awful idea to have more than one layout for the keyboard! It doesn't even need to be argued why, it's just obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back