Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jackd said:
i honestly dont care about the keyboard being backlit as long as theres little bumps on the f and j keys to have somewhere to start from
With ?4.3"? screen, the keyboard will be made for thumbs. I've used a few of these and some kind of light helps a lot in the dark. But the LCD will provide enough light to allow you to see the position of the keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu said:
Jackd said:
i honestly dont care about the keyboard being backlit as long as theres little bumps on the f and j keys to have somewhere to start from
With ?4.3"? screen, the keyboard will be made for thumbs. I've used a few of these and some kind of light helps a lot in the dark. But the LCD will provide enough light to allow you to see the position of the keys.

so what? your thumbs still need to find the right keys, which will be hard to see in the dark, especially with the display shining at you.

I think bumps are quite important for the orientation.

Edit:
Ok its not essential, but it helps, i actually printed out the kb layout i did a few pages ago and taped it to another device for trying, it works quite well and the thumbs naturally go to the f and j keys, still it sure wouldn't hurt to have some additional orientation.

A_SN said:
fusion_power said:
(an QUERZ for german users to I hope)
Awful idea to have more than one layout for the keyboard! It doesn't even need to be argued why, it's just obvious.

Actualy I don't meant a physical layout. Of course it will be an englisch layout only. But it would be nice, if the Keyboard could have the ability to type special QUERZ-Keyboard characters like Ä Ö Ü etc. :) I know, there are not enough keys but maybe there is another way with ctrl or alt or function keys to switch through the foreign language characters.

Oh, Tomottow is the 1. December...by the way...^_^

fusion_power said:
A_SN said:
fusion_power said:
(an QUERZ for german users to I hope)
Awful idea to have more than one layout for the keyboard! It doesn't even need to be argued why, it's just obvious.

Actualy I don't meant a physical layout. Of course it will be an englisch layout only. But it would be nice, if the Keyboard could have the ability to type special QUERZ-Keyboard characters like Ä Ö Ü etc. :) I know, there are not enough keys but maybe there is another way with ctrl or alt or function keys to switch through the foreign language characters.

Oh, Tomottow is the 1. December...by the way...^_^

Support for foreign character is a must. (æ,ø,å ftw)

Haha... maybe EvilDragon is holding back the pictures for the first advent to create a little bit of christmas flair ^^.

Maybe the console could have a completely blank keyboard, it would be compatible with all layouts then :) (Lets face it, how many people actually look at the keys whilst they are typing?)

If people really didn't like that idea, the console could ship with a sticker set and you could label the keys how you wanted them.

* runs off to patent idea *

;)

Squidge said:
Maybe the console could have a completely blank keyboard, it would be compatible with all layouts then :) (Lets face it, how many people actually look at the keys whilst they are typing?)

If people really didn't like that idea, the console could ship with a sticker set and you could label the keys how you wanted them.

* runs off to patent idea *

;)
Uh... too late. :p

Squidge said:

;)
*raises Hand* ME! :lol: And I'm using PC's since 1994. Never learned "blind typing" ^^"""

Uh, The Idea with the Stickers sounds not bad but
1. Stickers onto a key are not very long-life-proved
2. The Device itself doesn't know the Sticker-layout. :D

Thank good the Handheld has a Touchscreen. Maybe someone adds an virtual Keyboard in the Future where every layout can be changed in Seconds. Multiple Options for Input at such an Device should always be a standard. ^^ (I still have no clue, why a Touchscreen-Retro-Emu-Gaming-Handheld needs an extra real keyboard)

fusion_power said:
I still have no clue, why a Touchscreen-Retro-Emu-Gaming-Handheld needs an extra real keyboard)
I have to agree, even with PC/Dos etc games that require a significantly larger number of buttons or a keyboard to use the keyboard on the craiginator will surely be too small to use effectively?

Guys, as far as I know, you can change keyboard mapping in software. And, on most keyboards you can pull up the keys and put them somewhere else. So does it really matter?

teggun said:
fusion_power said:
I still have no clue, why a Touchscreen-Retro-Emu-Gaming-Handheld needs an extra real keyboard)
I have to agree, even with PC/Dos etc games that require a significantly larger number of buttons or a keyboard to use the keyboard on the craiginator will surely be too small to use effectively?

Well, I can use the keyboard on my Jornada 720 just fine, and I have big fingers.

hp720-1.jpg

Squidge said:
Hmmm, in that case, maybe each key could be a tiny OLED display in its own right, kinda like the Optimus Maximus ( http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/demo/ ). I wonder how much that would bump up the price :D

Well, considering the keyboard costs $1200...

Squidge said:
Hmmm, in that case, maybe each key could be a tiny OLED display in its own right, kinda like the Optimus Maximus ( http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/demo/ ). I wonder how much that would bump up the price :D

lol, that would pretty much double the price and half the battery life ;)

Anyways, you're right about it being a premium product by the way, in that since it's a high end product, let's have a keyboard that's fit for it, and go the extra mile in making it backlit. That woul suck to have a el high-endo console with a el cheapo keyboard with a ghetto arse "antenna light" to light the damn thing, or even a bright led on the edge of the console that would blind you more than it would actually lit the keyboard.

Squidge said:

Ha! I know this device. At the beginning they sayed, the whole Keyboard would cost around 200-400$. Then they made a 3 Button Mini-Keyboard and that costs around 99$ :lol: I wonder, if they really can calculate the price of an full OLED Keyboard. 1200-1500$ is way to much. OLEDS are expensive but I doubt THAT expensive. ^^"
There are other cool technical solutions...cheaper but not cheap enough:
http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/

Uh, do people really want somthing attachable to illuminate the Device? Are we back in the early 90's with optional Gameboy lights and magnifiers as gimmicks? :lol:
In our Days there are flexible silicon Keyboards which can be illuminated by one cheap LED afaik. :)

mmmh, tasty blue:
705-1.jpg

not bad to:
http://www.alternate.de/html/product/prodP...ml?artno=NTZVA4

does that 'tasty blue' feel like horrible cheapo rubber though? The first thing in a keyboard is tactile feedback. I don't want anything that feels spongy like it belongs to a Sinclair Spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back