Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
garzyboi said:
I agree completely about that.

And why in the world did politics get pulled into the price issue. I really could careless about US economy going down the toilet. It was bound to happen eventually...and has actually been happening for whew too damn long...
Because you're all moaning about the price, but it's only expensive to you because your currency is worth less than the paper it's printed on. Still, I suppose it gets rid of fake money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nr.56 said:
Your emu was playable at first and is faster till now! I would be glad if it will be the first at fullspeed and (unless the blessed spuidge will) the first on the new device! (??) B)
Ok, as soon as Craig sends me something to work on (I'm guessing early next year) then I'll port SS as priority :D

(and then start with the optimisations of course!)

Squidge said:
Ok, as soon as Craig sends me something to work on (I'm guessing early next year) then I'll port SS as priority :D

excellent...
[in mr. burns voice, pressing fingers together]

Squidge said:
Nr.56 said:
Your emu was playable at first and is faster till now! I would be glad if it will be the first at fullspeed and (unless the blessed spuidge will) the first on the new device! (??) B)

I never tried pocketsnes, but when I did used to play with my GP2X I loved SquidgeSNES. A port of it for the new console would be great. Support for all of the fancy chips would be great ;)

javaJake said:
I absolutely love efegea's idea. While it may not be exactly what we are looking for (why the wasted space?) it's definitely close! Here are some modifications I'd make.
Mmm..yes, too much wasted space. The image seen on a pc screen is very big but the craiginator screen will not be that big, will be little in comparision. I'll resize it (no need for margins and the "welcome to..." text) but you'll not see that beautiful eyes anymore :p

javaJake said:
That's neat! I like it, but have an optional idea: how about if, when you double-tap on a title bar, that module expands or pops "up" and over to cover the other three? (We are, after all, dealing with 3D-capable hardware.) Any tapping at all on any module "highlights" it, and then the icon bar could have related options or software.
Ok. So:

-Double click on title bar expands the widget to full screen, or back to its original size
-Click and drag the space between widgets do resize them
-Click and drag the widget changes the position
-Click on the widget "highlights" it and center button shows a popup menu with options related to the widget (it's like the app's main menu)

javaJake said:
In fact, instead of having the icon bar contain shortcuts for applications, why not have another bar along the bottom of the screen that contains a row of icons, and a button in the center similar to the one in your mock-up that would provide the context-sensitive options I mentioned earlier?
Ok, good idea. Around the context-menu button, the icons for: home, applications, games, web browser, file explorer and media

About full screen apps (not widgets) (remember, anyone can develop apps using python, I'm forgetting the apps in c++ idea) I was thinking about alt-tabbing, because apps can run on background (i.e:music player, msn messenger, irc client..) To do alt-tab, the user can press a specific button, or touch any screen corner (or press alt-tab on the keyboard :p )

javaJake said:
Your solution is exactly what I was thinking. The address of the deb file would be the basis for the data files for everything else such as screenshots. The result is backwards compatibility with apt-get, and yet an extension that provides a screenshot. As for description and icon, I believe that's already provided (Ubuntu's Add/Remove screen, for instance, implements this).
Now we need craigix and co. to support the idea :)

javaJake said:
Excellent! I'm glad you're thinking like this!
Being the Compiz-loving person I am, I hope at some point you'll be able to create fancy effects that take advantage of the hardware. :)

I was thinking about the compiz effect "paper windows" but I have not any clue on how to implement it using opengl. If windows are rendered as quads, how do I deform that quad? Perhaps it's made using pixel and vertex shaders? I have to do more research.

Talking about research, I was doing some research about the file type associations on the file explorer, I've found the freedesktop specification "shared-mime-info", that I think it's the standard way to do it. Once again, I have to do more research...

Squidge said:
Xmoon said:
This can be done in Craiginator?

http://tabletblog.com/2007/11/free-palmos-...a-internet.html

A Palm Emulator? Sure. Don't expect to run that particular version however as even if it's compiled for the same processor architecture, I'm betting the screen or input routines will need changing. So... we'd need source code to port it.

ACCESS has already been ported to OMAP3430. They are a big supporter of TI. I don't see why it wouldn't work. The application itself will still need to be ported to whatever linux version Craig and Co. choose.

Fake money, man I love how you put that but anyways...when were all done whining about how countries economies suck and what war-mongering catch 22 presidents make the stand and what lameo prime ministers sit back and protest this and protest that.

we can go back to the original topic.

I really like efegea's GUI idea. It looks very nice and, with a few tweaks, could be very good functionally. Also, the easy extensibility is a great idea, and themes should be easy to create as well.

efegea said:
-Click on the widget "highlights" it and center button shows a popup menu with options related to the widget (it's like the app's main menu)
I understood (and liked) everything but this. As far as I can tell there are three different bars/menus:
  • A button in the center of the windows, which acts as the application menu
  • A button on the bottom, center part of the screen that does... what?
  • A bar running along the button containing application icons, and are split by the button in the center or are below that button
efegea said:
javaJake said:
In fact, instead of having the icon bar contain shortcuts for applications, why not have another bar along the bottom of the screen that contains a row of icons, and a button in the center similar to the one in your mock-up that would provide the context-sensitive options I mentioned earlier?
Ok, good idea. Around the context-menu button, the icons for: home, applications, games, web browser, file explorer and media

This should be customizable, of course.

efegea said:
About full screen apps (not widgets) (remember, anyone can develop apps using python, I'm forgetting the apps in c++ idea) I was thinking about alt-tabbing, because apps can run on background (i.e:music player, msn messenger, irc client..) To do alt-tab, the user can press a specific button, or touch any screen corner (or press alt-tab on the keyboard :p )
Yes, good idea. Now, keep in mind this is only the "launcher", so these applications aren't necessarily full-blown software. Instead, they should either plug into existing software, or provide their own information/functionality that doesn't replace other software. The reason I say this, is because I don't want an RSS reader in the main window, only to open my normal RSS reader and find my read items marked as unread.

efegea said:
javaJake said:
Your solution is exactly what I was thinking. The address of the deb file would be the basis for the data files for everything else such as screenshots. The result is backwards compatibility with apt-get, and yet an extension that provides a screenshot. As for description and icon, I believe that's already provided (Ubuntu's Add/Remove screen, for instance, implements this).
Now we need craigix and co. to support the idea :)

Well, if not officially supported, why not community supported? Maybe the "extra" data could be hosted separately? Actually, that may be the better idea. Then we can provide screenshots for other unofficial repositories if we can install packages from them.

sounds like good idea...something I think we all need...just hope it doesn't end up chewing up any resources which I doubt it should.

Exophase said:
DaveC said:
Alex. said:
Why are people starting to recommend that JXD keychain as an alternative to the GP2X?

The GP2X will continue to enjoy a nice life alongside the Craiginator, so don't count it out just yet. :)
Probably since almost ALL of the top emu coders have left for it. They jumped ship overnight, doesn't take much I guess. I will just keep the GP2X until the Craiginator comes out. I see no point in getting cought up in a handheld like that for me. I can't see playing games with too few buttons in mono on a tiny screen. When the Craiginator is released that silly little thing will be left in the lurch anyway.

Say what? You're paranoid. A lot of emu coders aren't interested in JXD301. The CPU is actually not that great, or at least GCC must not be generating very high quality code.

They are not? Well Rlyeh, Squidge, Pepone, DJWillis, Zodttd, Vilmos, Guyfawkes etc. have all jumped on the bandwagon. That seems like alot to me, more than just paranoia. But like I said it will still just be a flash in the pan as when the Craiginator is released I can't see there being much support for it anymore.

I think all of the complaining (others) about price will disappear when we see what the Craiginator will do. It is better to have a machine that is overspeced at launch than one that will be cheap but obsolete in 1 year. This way it will have staying power and you won't need to buy a new system and start over every 2 years ;)

trojan.kiillav.e said:
Hmm, I definitely have mixed thoughts about "The Craiginator".
As long as it keeps a GUI that is very game friendly, and sticks to a hardware design that is optimized for video games, there won't be much else to worry about. However, I do believe that widescreen is a big mistake. When it comes to emulation, its kind of shocking on how much of a difference it makes when you play an emulated game on a handheld that fits perfectly for whats emulated VS one that contains features that give the game an emulated feel, such as NES on a GP32 versus on the PSP; playing NES would be much more enjoyable on the GP32, obviously. I'm getting a GP2X over a PSP largely because of this factor (that, and that you'll actually find some real homebrew gems in the GP2X scene).
The main difference is that the PSP has a 480 x 272 resolution. 240 does not go evenly into 272 so you either have a huge border with a tiny image or you stretch the image to a decent size making it a blurry mess. Then the PSP screen is still too low res to run 640 x 480 PC games and ports. It is a no-win situation on the PSP.

While I would have prefered a 4:3 640 x 480 screen on the Craiginator giving room to place controls favorable for 3:4 arcade games this won't be too bad as it is 480 high. As long as developers give multiple scale options it will be fine. It is important that they offer a simple integer scale (2:1 both directions) with no filtering even if it leaves a small border like the GP2X does now at 1:1. If they do this, playing Genesis/Megadrive for example will look just as good and sharp on the Craiginator as it does on the GP2X at 1:1 with the tiny border on the top and bottom.

javaJake said:
Yes, good idea. Now, keep in mind this is only the "launcher", so these applications aren't necessarily full-blown software. Instead, they should either plug into existing software, or provide their own information/functionality that doesn't replace other software. The reason I say this, is because I don't want an RSS reader in the main window, only to open my normal RSS reader and find my read items marked as unread.
I think I've read about several "widget frameworks" or similar that are scriptable in Lua or Tcl. I can't recall any names right now, though.

Maybe someone could port a buffed Gmenu2X to this as an option. It has the catagories on a bar and a main icon panel at the bottom for selecting apps which would work well with either a touchscreen or a pad.

Orkie said:
Yonkaku said:
A_SN said:
Standards
ln

Now stop flaming about something trivial.

(This is a Linux command, look it up)

What is that supposed to mean? :S

That noob's probably misunderstood something about ln, I have no idea what he could possibly try to say..

And people who insist on making mock-ups, if you guys have so nothing better to do, why not start learning a programming language and make functional programs instead of just mock-ups? Seriously tho, mock-ups are getting old.

DaveC said:
They are not? Well Rlyeh, Squidge, Pepone, DJWillis, Zodttd, Vilmos, Guyfawkes etc. have all jumped on the bandwagon.
Showing idle interest in it doesn't mean they've left GP2X for it. When they start releasing a bunch of stuff for it and not GP2X then maybe you'll have something. Maybe a lot of people do jump at something new to play around with but that doesn't mean they're gone for good.

On the other hand, I don't know how much all of them were planning on doing for GP2X anymore anyway.

Or maybe the programmers can make functional programs and the artists can make them look good. Just a thought.

A_SN said:
Orkie said:
Yonkaku said:
A_SN said:
Standards
ln

That noob's probably misunderstood something about ln, I have no idea what he could possibly try to say..

And people who insist on making mock-ups, if you guys have so nothing better to do, why not start learning a programming language and make functional programs instead of just mock-ups? Seriously tho, mock-ups are getting old.

I see where you're coming from, but people would much rather make a mock-up and have other people critique and tweak it before they actually program the interface. It saves a lot of time to do that rather than to program a whole interface then go back later and make major changes. Trust me, programming interfaces is a lengthy and painful process.

A_SN said:
Orkie said:
Yonkaku said:
A_SN said:
Standards
ln

Maybe he confused ln and dd. Dd does have very "nonstandard" syntax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back