Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eee pc is causing a bit of a buzz atm. It's VERY tempting and with www.overclockers.co.uk setting price at around £230 including delivery its a bargain portable :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....956&subcat=

It looks like it's awesome for games too!

check this thread;
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=945&p=1

Unreal tournament? Quake 2/3? No problem! Might have to forget n64 emulation though.

No bob required (but no tv out either) ;) + runs winxp + ram upgradable to 2gb + pc games + emulation etc and best of all built-in sd card with sdhc support 16gb and beyond :D

Now the bad news; the extremely small ssd hd is only 4gb in current 701 models and you'll also need external dvd drive to install winxp + software.

This eee pc is going to be the benchmark system for all other portables i think.

Obviously, it's in a different league to gp2x being over twice the price after you buy a new 8gb sdhc card and dvd drive with it but still a very usable device.

God damn this thread took off like a rocket.

Well, myself, I would happily take a serious upgrade in emulation and the potential that comes along with this device over a next gen console as it stands and when I look at the current price tags that seems to be about where the choice for buying into the hardware side of things starts.

*shrugs*

PokeParadox said:
[...] so we can decide what's most intuitive.

PS: Twat.
Man you don't get it. If you and your friends do the deciding, nobody will give a fuck much more than the first time. it's up to Craig to do the deciding.

PS : Idealistic anus.

As for the GUI, I'm glad none of you guys have anything to do with the actual design of anything in the Craiginator. Also, you guys are being too enthusiastic, it's killing my buzz.

sam fisher said:
They did sue a Linux based OS called lindows over their GUI years ago.
Dude, get your facts right. They sued Lindows because of the name, cause, in case you haven't noticed, it sounds a lot like Windows, and so they changed it to Linspire. It has nothing to do with their GUI, since it was KDE. Pulling facts out of your arse sucks.

trooper : Yeah, that's more like what we need. A RSS reader when you turn your console on? GTFO here. If you want that write a script so that it starts a web browser and goes on some shit like iGoogle or msn.com. All we need is a way to browse the FS, file type-based actions, aliases so that you don't have to always browse the FS, and optionally windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tobriand said:
Maybe I'm crediting them with too much common sense, though.
Remember they tried to sue everyone who used the FAT file system a while back? They failed due prior art being pointed out, but it shows that if they think they can make money from sueing someone, they will.

Hmm, I definitely have mixed thoughts about "The Craiginator".

Handhelds in general are going to inevitably enter the PC side of things, so arguing that The Craiginator is too much like a PC is weak. It definitely has a large amount of potential, and from the hardware side, I see no complaints (assuming battery life will be better than the GP2X).

As long as it keeps a GUI that is very game friendly, and sticks to a hardware design that is optimized for video games, there won't be much else to worry about. However, I do believe that widescreen is a big mistake. When it comes to emulation, its kind of shocking on how much of a difference it makes when you play an emulated game on a handheld that fits perfectly for whats emulated VS one that contains features that give the game an emulated feel, such as NES on a GP32 versus on the PSP; playing NES would be much more enjoyable on the GP32, obviously. I'm getting a GP2X over a PSP largely because of this factor (that, and that you'll actually find some real homebrew gems in the GP2X scene).

To further support my main concern (the screen size), by using examples of the PSP scene since thats what I'm most familiar with... there really has been very little benefit, if any, from having a widescreen display when it comes to homebrew games and applications. Widescreen should only be considered if you really want its main use to be as a portable media center, which there is already a lot of... not to mention that having a 4:3 ratio is surely not going to stray it further from a "media center" potential.

Another main concern is making a Linux OS the main firmware for The Craiginator. This is definitely a big NO. As stated, I believe that this console should be focused on and soley presented as being a homebrew game console. Any other "feel" is going to hurt the experience, I believe. A portable PC experience on a handheld built for gaming is more of a fun gimmick, not even nearly an ideal focus.

The price isn't a big problem personally, but its obviously always best to aim for the lowest pricetag. Saying "this console isn't for you" just because someone complains about the price is rediculous; not only is that losing sales, but its also losing potential power to foward the scene itself, which will ultimately lead to a smaller amount of dedicated homebrew developers. I don't code (yet), but I can definitely imagine that most homebrew developers would much rather develop for a console that has a large fanbase than one that is small, possibly even shrinking judging by how people feel about The Craiginator now. I personally have no problem with the price (even as a US citizen), but the fact that there seems to be many that will back down from owning this handheld because of the price is making me consider getting myself one in the future even less.

I'm not at all bashing the console... I do like it. However, I feel providing a critique will be much more productive to the development at this point, considering CraigIX and the others should already know what we all want. :)

trojan.kiillav.e said:
Another main concern is making a Linux OS the main firmware for The Craiginator. This is definitely a big NO. As stated, I believe that this console should be focused on and soley presented as being a homebrew game console. Any other "feel" is going to hurt the experience, I believe. A portable PC experience on a handheld built for gaming is more of a fun gimmick, not even nearly an ideal focus.

What is the problem with Linux ?? The GP2X is based on Linux too. Most settop boxes are based on Linux. It is small and flexible. :blink:

IMPORTANT: !!! It is open source !!!

I guess I should clairify... a Linux OS that feels like a PC OS (such as Debian Linux) would be a big no. If it was Linux, but stayed true to the feeling that most of the previous GPxx firmwares had, then I would have no problem with it.

trojan.kiillav.e said:
I'm getting a GP2X over a PSP

To further support my main concern (the screen size), by using examples of the PSP

Another main concern is making a Linux OS the main firmware for The Craiginator. This is definitely a big NO. As stated, I believe that this console should be focused on and soley presented as being a homebrew game console. Any other "feel" is going to hurt the experience, I believe.
Just going to address some of your concerns here...

Screen size: The Craiginator will have a wide screen because 4:3 LCD screens are hard to source because of agreements between the LCD manufacturers and their major customers. 800x480 screens are not hard to come by since they're basically standard for GPS equipment these days and no GPS manufacturer has come up with the idea to limit supply to thwart competitors. At least that's the impression I'm getting.
At any rate, since the screen is 800x480, which is not only much higher than the PSP but also has a height that is a multiple of 240, you'll be easily able to use a 4:3 resolution of 640x480 and leave the rest unused or use it for touch control of various emulation aspects (save states, speed settings and whatever).

Also, the GP2X is based on Linux. You just don't see too much of it, and I'm sure you won't in the Craiginator either, if you don't want to. Linux is a great foundation for homebrew in general, and because of the wealth of games and emulators available for it, finding a suitable emulator and porting it will be made easier than if the OS was going to be built from scratch. If you're happy with the GP2X, which IS a Linux-based device, you'll be happy with the Craiginator too, I'm sure.

trojan.kiillav.e said:
I guess I should clairify... a Linux OS that feels like a PC OS would be a big no. If it was Linux, but stayed true to the feeling that most of the previous GPxx firmwares had, then I would have no problem with it.
I think a complete desktopenvironment will never be standart os on a hendheld. But if you need it you can install it. Thats all. This handheld is open, one of the most important attributes! ;)

For it to reach the masses it must be user friendly, and most people out there are scared of Linux. (sad but true, ask your mum)

And why is this thread going on at the same time as the other thread? Can't we just have one speculative thread going on?

cappuchok said:
trojan.kiillav.e said:
I'm getting a GP2X over a PSP

To further support my main concern (the screen size), by using examples of the PSP

Another main concern is making a Linux OS the main firmware for The Craiginator. This is definitely a big NO. As stated, I believe that this console should be focused on and soley presented as being a homebrew game console. Any other "feel" is going to hurt the experience, I believe.
Just going to address some of your concerns here...

Screen size: The Craiginator will have a wide screen because 4:3 LCD screens are hard to source because of agreements between the LCD manufacturers and their major customers. 800x480 screens are not hard to come by since they're basically standard for GPS equipment these days and no GPS manufacturer has come up with the idea to limit supply to thwart competitors. At least that's the impression I'm getting.
At any rate, since the screen is 800x480, which is not only much higher than the PSP but also has a height that is a multiple of 240, you'll be easily able to use a 4:3 resolution of 640x480 and leave the rest unused or use it for touch control of various emulation aspects (save states, speed settings and whatever).

I see. I'll definitely have to wait and see how this'll turn out, because I hate that "emulated" feel that the PSP has.

rokdcasbah said:
i really don't see how eee pc would be good for games, since it's a laptop. and a crappy one, at that.
I think you'd be suprised if you bothered to check the link I provided ( check http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=945&p=1).

Counter strike 1.6 running on winxp using eee pc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBV40RXYGok

Yes, it IS a laptop and compared to the big boys the specs are rubbish (not actually that rubbish, performance-wise its nearly as good as some laptops costing 4x price). Stop for a second though and look at the price and specs...the eee pc is kinda like the gp2x with it's sd based storage and linux os, the craiginator with a 800x480 screen + a mini keyboard. Instead of tv-out it's got vga out. No need for a bob either as it's got 3 usb ports.

Can i reiterate the price?

It's £230!!!!

eee pc + 8gb sdhc + dvd/cd drive = ~£300

gp2x + 8gb sdhc + bob + batteries + charger = ~£222

thats roughly £80 difference. Don't forget though that the eee pc is x86 and winxp runs fine on it and its compatible with a lot of xp software including games. Plug a control pad into the eee pc, run some games then come back here and tell me it's no good for games.

Heck, forget the control pad, plug a mouse in and give unreal tournament a go ;)

The Eee pc maybe crap (albeit, a very interesting piece of crap) but its so much more than what a hand held can ever be.

Did I mention it's got wireless? ;D

Why does the craigenthingy need a physical keyboard if it has a touch screen?
In fact, you could probably emulate fairly usable analogue sticks too?

Too many buttons = clutter.

atomicthumbs said:
I decree that only shiny happy people get to post in this topic.
I suppose i'll finally pop my head in then :-||
Anyways, i'd prefer just a simple file browser like trooper suggested, no frills.
Being able to associate file types with an executable along with the ability to soft reset back to the file browser is a must.

EDIT: forgot the happy: :)

A_SN said:
PokeParadox said:
[...] so we can decide what's most intuitive.

PS: Twat.
Man you don't get it. If you and your friends do the deciding, nobody will give a fuck much more than the first time. it's up to Craig to do the deciding.

PS : Idealistic anus.

No you don't get it. By we, I don't mean me and a couple of friends, I mean we, the community. It's one thing for Craig to go this is what is best, but that would only suit Craig himself.

trooper said:
Anyone remember Pacrom on the GP32 ?, A simple file and folder structure to run your programs from. Freedom to create folders for your music, pictures etc, And no unnecessary fluff.
Allowed you to auto run any program you had on your memory card, And also remembered the last program you ran , As it would be highlighted the next time you turned on your GP32.

CIMG0613.JPG

Simple. :)

Trooper
So wait, with all the available power of the Cnator, the brilliant screen, the features, you are recommending we use something near as bland as THAT as a gui!?

We need something to show off the Cnator to prospective buyers, not make it look like a hobbiests toy, like the PSP has it's XMB, and the 360, it's blade system.

Asus EEE:

Weight: 920 g
Dimensions: 22,5 x 16,5 x 3,5 cm

GP2x:

Weight: 161 g
Dimensions: 14,4 x 8,3 x 3,4 cm

The Asus EEE is a small notebook, but not a real handheld device.
You can't compare the GP2x and the new handheld with a notebook.
It's a complete different kind of machine.
Playing Genesis games on a train with the EEE on your legs and using a USB Joystick? No thanks, I prefer a real handheld.

Regards,
Stephan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back