Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the i.MX31 gives the best chances at N64 emulation, then hopefully that would be the final choice. And it sounds as if it would be better for PS emulation as well. For most ppl to dump their GP2Xs and PSPs, the new system better be able to do something that the current systems can't do or do well. Full PS emulation would do it for many, however I've never been a fan, and dream one day of having mobile handheld N64 emulation. The touchscreen will be fun, and the wifi awesome, but please give this device the best possible chance at N64 emulation. As for N64 emulation, I'm guessing it would be a complete do-over... does an N64 emulator for ARM even exist? Guessing just MIPS.

Reaper

EDIT:

I had seen it discussed a bit previously, but what about power source? 3.6v CR-V3 rechargeable batteries would be nice, as well as the unit charging the battery itself when plugged into mains.

fusion_power said:
Well, I hope, the most programms can run underclocked at such an fast CPU to save battery time and for lazy people it would be great, if an application could choose the clockrate itself which it needs, if this is possible at all - to controll this, I'm still for an Clockrate display on the Handheld so we always know the current clock rate.
Apparently, applications don't need to control the clock rate, it's internal adjusted depending on processor load (and when the frequency drops, the voltage is dropped to to further reduce power consumption).

As for batteries, there has already been found a nice battery which should give a healthy duration on this processor.

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher said:
I think Craig hinted a little while back he won't make the GPH mistake of picking something that we dont want! *crosses fingers for i.mx31*
Hopefully, however if a rough prototype has been mocked up using MMSP2+, I worry how late in the game it would be to switch and whether or not preference is already tilted toward it.

For those in the hardware know, what does the MMSP2+ offer that the i.MX31 does not?

Reaper

reaper79 said:
If the i.MX31 gives the best chances at N64 emulation, then hopefully that would be the final choice. And it sounds as if it would be better for PS emulation as well. For most ppl to dump their GP2Xs and PSPs, the new system better be able to do something that the current systems can't do or do well. Full PS emulation would do it for many, however I've never been a fan, and dream one day of having mobile handheld N64 emulation. The touchscreen will be fun, and the wifi awesome, but please give this device the best possible chance at N64 emulation. As for N64 emulation, I'm guessing it would be a complete do-over... does an N64 emulator for ARM even exist? Guessing just MIPS.
I think that it was mentioned ealier that while the i.MX31 has a far better chance at achieving N64 emulation than the MMSP2+, it might be somewhat playable but it won't be fullspeed. No handheld console will achieve that for a while to come. And frankly, I couldn't care less, as Amiga 1200, SNES and PSX are pretty much the things I am missing in handheld emulation today. That and the 640x480 games in ScummVM, of course. All of those should be achievable (with varying degrees of ease) with the i.MX31, but PSX emulation might still not be fullspeed (depending on the game) but certainly fluent enough to be playable.

Also, I don't think current GP2X owners will "dump" those but rather continue to use them for the things it's good at (like Genesis emulation), in parallel with the new device. I know I will.

Squidge said:
fusion_power said:
Well, I hope, the most programms can run underclocked at such an fast CPU to save battery time and for lazy people it would be great, if an application could choose the clockrate itself which it needs, if this is possible at all - to controll this, I'm still for an Clockrate display on the Handheld so we always know the current clock rate.
Apparently, applications don't need to control the clock rate, it's internal adjusted depending on processor load (and when the frequency drops, the voltage is dropped to to further reduce power consumption).

As for batteries, there has already been found a nice battery which should give a healthy duration on this processor.

I always thought that automatic clock adjustment thing was handled by the OS (or some daemon)? On my AXIM X51v I can control the clock speed if I want, or just let it do its thing automatically.

Eolair said:
Found this thing while googling the i.MX31:

compal_white_x.jpg

Compal

Look, it has a slide keyboard. Think it's patented? :eek:

It looks a bit too much like my design <_<
But the stick is on the wrong side :rolleyes:

I don't know, the oQo, Mylo, this thing and others use the same sliding KB so probably not patented. If it is your rotating "jackknife" type design would work. Just make the pivot shaft out of a hollow steel tube and run the KB wires throught the center. Simple to make and pretty robust as long as the shaft is beefy enough.

I like your mock-up of it as the controls seem to be layed out perfect. You also need the stereo speakers though :p

I think this design is one of the best for this kind of a device. It is perfect for gaming when the KB is hidden and is fairly simple to produce. It seems like the controls would be comfortable with the D-pad and buttons under it, plus the standard diamond pattern on the right for SNES and FPS games. For those that want to game and not even use a KB (maybe include a touchscreen KB option in some programs too) you can fold it under and not even know it is there.

Well, no matter what SoC is chosen, I'm not sure I'll be buying the new unit until at least 6 months after its release. I'm also hoping that we aint lost devs like zodttd to this new device before its even released. I'm personally happy with my GP2X, I've only had it a year, and it would be a shame for me to switch to another device, just cos one came out.

If you aint happy with the '2x, go for it, but if you are, well, you prolly wont want one of these new toys right away.

sam fisher said:
I think Craig hinted a little while back he won't make the GPH mistake of picking something that we dont want! *crosses fingers for i.mx31*
But... You said you had inside information and knew that the SoC was going to be the MMSP2+ ;)

reaper79 said:
Hopefully, however if a rough prototype has been mocked up using MMSP2+, I worry how late in the game it would be to switch and whether or not preference is already tilted toward it.
Well, yeah, lots of money has been ploughed into the mmsp2+, but we have noticed something thats bugging us, so you never know. Need to know if the iMX31 makes us happier :)

reaper79 said:
For those in the hardware know, what does the MMSP2+ offer that the i.MX31 does not?
Slower speeds? :D

Nah, seriously, it doesn't have some things like a multi-layer controller, but since we have never used that on the gp2x, I don't think we'll be missing it!

Squidge said:
sam fisher said:
But... You said you had inside information and knew that the SoC was going to be the MMSP2+ ;)

reaper79 said:
Well, yeah, lots of money has been ploughed into the mmsp2+, but we have noticed something thats bugging us, so you never know. Need to know if the iMX31 makes us happier :)

reaper79 said:
Slower speeds? :D

Nah, seriously, it doesn't have some things like a multi-layer controller, but since we have never used that on the gp2x, I don't think we'll be missing it!

What is bugging you about it then? Well as you said a lot has been put into the MMSP2+ and then there are the beneficial people known within magiceyes *cough*leaks*cough*. It depends on whether Craigs willing to go through the hassle of replanning, using a different SoC etc. I'm sure it will rock whatever SoC it uses but it will probably rock more if its based on the i.mx31 :D

Well, the consensus I see is that imx31 is better, and possibly cheaper. From a consumer stand-point, that gets 5 stars. Now from a dev stand-point, which is better? Which is better/easier to code for? If nothing is finalized, and there is a better solution than what is being currently used, it would have to be an overall wise move to go with the imx31. I hope so, b/c if I'm going to buy one after already owning a GP32 and GP2X, it better be the best possible bang for the buck possible.

Reaper

Oh dear, a lot of rumors and hearsay are now being treated as fact... this is just getting silly. I said we will be back in a month.

craigix said:
Oh dear, a lot of rumors and hearsay are now being treated as fact... this is just getting silly. I said we will be back in a month.
i bet it wont exist in a month :[ and if this does come out it shouldnt have outdated parts and stuff like how the gp2x is. Ok admin please lock this fourmn and we will wait to september to found out the truth and hes right it is getting silly.

predatorramboxxx said:
i bet it wont exist in a month :[ and if this does come out it shouldnt have outdated parts and stuff like how the gp2x is. Ok admin please lock this fourmn and we will wait to september to found out the truth and hes right it is getting silly.
Silly speculation and rumors on the internet! Somebody call the police!

Dzz said:
We'll be there in approximately 65354969 hours sir.

i2%20Police%20-%20two%20officers%20ridingLowRes.jpg

t3h p0l1c3, fighting internet rumors both big and small :)

Dzz said:
predatorramboxxx said:

ok my speculation:
It will have unix on it.
It will have a built in flux capictor
There will be some built in games and one will be puzzle and if you solve the puzzle built into the nand a guy will come out that has pins all over his face... of course this will be possible after you switch from unix to linux.
It will have built in gps tracking so "they" can track you anytime

predatorramboxxx said:
craigix said:

He didn't say the console would be there in a month, he said he'd have more to say. Heh, funny how people want to be told what nobody knows for sure.

Lurkio : ROFL!!11 :)

craigix said:

Hmph!... One would wonder how this happened :lol:

Edit: We all know that this thing has the all new Pentium ProMobile 17 and runs on Ethanol... Oh wait, that's intel :(

DaveC said:
You also need the stereo speakers though :p
Speakers? I've actually been thinking about that. You could have two small discreet holes... like the PSP :p

speakerswy5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back