Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
X-Code said:
craigix said:
Oh dear, a lot of rumors and hearsay are now being treated as fact... this is just getting silly. I said we will be back in a month.
Hmph!... One would wonder how this happened :lol:

Yeah, tease a forum full of enthusiasts/fanboys with loads of half-information and refuse to give any solid details, which results in rumours and hearsay being treated as fact?! My god, these "hearsayers" have no shame :p

Last edited by a moderator:
fishybawb said:
X-Code said:
craigix said:
Oh dear, a lot of rumors and hearsay are now being treated as fact... this is just getting silly. I said we will be back in a month.
Hmph!... One would wonder how this happened :lol:

Yeah, tease a forum full of enthusiasts/fanboys with loads of half-information and refuse to give any solid details, which results in rumours and hearsay being treated as fact?! My god, these "hearsayers" have no shame :p

my specs above are real and have been given to me by a top secret source at gp

predatorramboxxx said:
Will they bundle a pair of shoes with their next handheld?

Alex. said:
predatorramboxxx said:

No this time around you'll get 2(!) lollipops with your preorder :p

On the contrary, I think this thread is essential! If this thing is ever built, and let's be honest it probably won't be..., then the probable end results will be SO much better if the collective minds of these boards, that have achieved so much already on the GP2x and GP32 were utilised properly by the designers!

(Is that the longest sentence ever on these boards?)

If at the end of this, if we have a device that has been made essentially by us for our needs (with an eye to the commercial success of the thing!) rather than a device that has been made in secret disregarding what we want then so much the better! I really think, Craig, you would ignore this thread at your peril. If we end up with a set of bits that have flaws or can't deliver the emus and games we need on this thing (as Reaper said, the specs are great to talk about but the what the thing can do is what really matters) then it just won't sell beyond the initial rush that the GP2x had. And that rush was just from us guys. To make money from this it has to have a long term appeal-it needs to increase it's sales over a period of time, not die like the GP2x.

And for that to happen, we have to look at what the selling points will be. So a keyboard is essential, not for all of us (although I want one!!!), but for the UMPC brigade. Wifi too. But what emus will make masses of people leave their psps at home and pick up one of these...? Sorry, it has to be the PSX. But the psp can do that. So it has to have the POTENTIAL to emulate the N64. Otherwise, whats the point? It ain't gonna do the Saturn. It's okay for some of us to say "If it can do this AMiga and this Atari etc I'm happy!" because although you will be happy, people ain't gonna buy it in their masses for that!

Craig has to make money from this, so what we want is secondary to the greater good! There are a lot of brainy people here who add up to quite a knowledge base! Add in the financial support Craig says he has, it could work! But I think we are important!

So don't close this thread. Unless another Mod fancies making a thread that is guaranteed lots of pages of answers.....

lubidog said:
If this thing is ever built, and let's be honest it probably won't be...,
Why such pessimism? The people involved in the design of the new thing are active members here, and they've made it known that they took community feedback into account for the last 2 years the GP2X was around. I have high hopes for this, who wouldn't?

How come, when a serious thread is created about something, it doesn't take long before it gets destroyed by idiots?

I'm out of here!

Squidge said:
How come, when a serious thread is created about something, it doesn't take long before it gets destroyed by idiots?

I'm out of here!
A seriously teasing thread that is. Come on now, when the thread in question is about a handheld that may or may not happen, that's had "a lot of money" invested in it, yet not decided exactly what SoC to use, that probably shouldn't even have been announced/had details leaked on before it's a bit further down the line, you can't seriously complain when it gets somewhat off-topic.

Eolair said:
Alex. said:
predatorramboxxx said:

No this time around you'll get 2(!) lollipops with your preorder :p

no thats for the xgp kids The new one gives you a pass for club vandersexxx and a teeshirt

released specs about "gp3x"
It will have unix on it.
It will have a built in flux capictor
There will be some built in games and one will be puzzle and if you solve the puzzle built into the nand a guy will come out that has pins all over his face... of course this will be possible after you switch from unix to linux.
It will have built in gps tracking so "they" can track you anytime

Don't know who the idiots referred to are and I don't see that a thread has been destroyed in any way... But I'm leaving this thread. I've wasted a load of time following both this thread and the previous one and still have no solid facts regarding the new machine ( not that I need them anyway ).

Guess that I'll have a beer and do something useful, cultivate my good sense of humor and take a breath of fresh air I suppose ;).

Edit: BTW. This is the General GP2X talk forum, not some new unseen machine talk

lubidog said:
But what emus will make masses of people leave their psps at home and pick up one of these...? Sorry, it has to be the PSX. But the psp can do that. So it has to have the POTENTIAL to emulate the N64. Otherwise, whats the point? It ain't gonna do the Saturn. It's okay for some of us to say "If it can do this AMiga and this Atari etc I'm happy!" because although you will be happy, people ain't gonna buy it in their masses for that!
I hardly think people will buy it in ther "masses" for N64 emulation. The PSP can already do it, and how many people would have bought a PSP just for that?

Your other points about keboard and touchscreen are what's important. For me, it's not about emulating more systems (the GP2X does everything I want now), it's about expanding possibilities, opening up different types of homebrew. The whole text adventure movement could progress on this thing. ScummVM with touchscreen (it's great on DS, but would be even better on this). Funky music apps, comic book readers, wacky games.

What will sell it is a) ease of use (i.e. no faffing about), B) control options designed for gaming, c) open source - everything is free with no restrictions from Sony et al, and d) ability to perform "other" activities (e-mail, business tasks, etc) to justify its purchase to spouses/parents as more than a toy (in much the same way you convinced someone to let you buy an Amiga or C64!).

If this had readily available ports of killer open apps like Firefox, Open Office, Gaim, Foxit PDF, that would rock.

GunPei2X said:
Your other points about keboard and touchscreen are what's important. For me, it's not about emulating more systems (the GP2X does everything I want now), it's about expanding possibilities, opening up different types of homebrew. The whole text adventure movement could progress on this thing. ScummVM with touchscreen (it's great on DS, but would be even better on this). Funky music apps, comic book readers, wacky games.

What will sell it is a) ease of use (i.e. no faffing about), B) control options designed for gaming, c) open source - everything is free with no restrictions from Sony et al, and d) ability to perform "other" activities (e-mail, business tasks, etc) to justify its purchase to spouses/parents as more than a toy (in much the same way you convinced someone to let you buy an Amiga or C64!).

If this had readily available ports of killer open apps like Firefox, Open Office, Gaim, Foxit PDF, that would rock.
Don't know about Firefox and Openoffice. They are pretty demanding on hardware. The rest of what you say is something I completely agree with!
I'm sure whatever Craig will come up with in one month time will make this possible.

Squidge said:
Human nature :) Hope to see you back soon, like the laid back and witty comments.

craigix said:

Wow, just like Fox "news" in the US :p

cappuchok said:
Now that we have a price point for the i.MX31 and some comparisons to the MMSP2+, it'd be interesting to see a price point for the OMAP34x0 and a quick comparison with the i.MX31.

As far as I can see, the OMAP34x0 has an edge in it's OpenGL ES 2.0 support while the MMSP2+ has only OpenGL ES 1.1, but I can't seem to find a specification as to which level is supported by the i.MX31. Hopefully 2.0 but who can tell? Also the OMAP34x0 use a 65nm process, which might cause it to be even better than the i.MX31 in terms of power consumption?

I would guess that most potential SoC's use the Chrontel 7024 for TV encoding (at least the i.MX31 does), which would mean S-video is the best we can get unless the TV-out can be implemented off-SoC. :(

That being said, whichever of the three "most wanted" chips discussed here actually ends up in the console, I'll be happy. :)

Squidge said:
StarG said:
Directly asked: any chance to see a SGX accelerator inside the new handheld, possibly as an added IC ? You seemed to gotten some better thread to the developing team and might ask them.
I don't even know what SGX is :blink:

He's probably talking about this. Looks neat, it appears to be the "top of the line" among the PowerVR family, targetted at "Next-generation mainstream and performance mobile platforms".

EDIT: Dunno which one is integrated in the various chips discussed here, though. A comparison chart would be nice.

Yes, that assumption was correct. After a somewhat perilous search i could not find any source noting a standalone accelerator ic, so i guess the only confirmed model is actually the TI model which is as was stated before unavailable (because of volume restrictions). Other ic's (including from Intel in '08) might ship this year but thats most probably too late for a console that is rumored to appear at the end of this year.

predatorramboxxx said:
craigix said:
i bet it wont exist in a month :[ and if this does come out it shouldnt have outdated parts and stuff like how the gp2x is. Ok admin please lock this fourmn and we will wait to september to found out the truth and hes right it is getting silly.

I have urges to kill you.

Squidge said:

I'm out of here!
The internet is serious business!

sam fisher said:
predatorramboxxx said:
craigix said:
i bet it wont exist in a month :[ and if this does come out it shouldnt have outdated parts and stuff like how the gp2x is. Ok admin please lock this fourmn and we will wait to september to found out the truth and hes right it is getting silly.

I have urges to kill you.

ten bucks says emo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back