Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
PeterM said:
Because of different games/emulators' control/config requirements I think the difficulty of implementing such a system that caters for them all is really being underestimated.

Not to mention that many games are cross-platform or have their own niggles which make using a common config dialog difficult.

What we would end up with would be a handful of apps which use the common config stuff while the rest just do their own thing.

Not to mention that unifying the GUI across apps isn't necessarily a good thing. The PSP does this for error messages and save game screens. It looks awful and never fits with the game's look and feel.
If a library is used to do reading/writing to these configuration files, there could be a unified config program as well as the ability to change the configuration from within the program itself which will integrate well with the program functionally and visually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vorporeal said:
If a library is used to do reading/writing to these configuration files, there could be a unified config program as well as the ability to change the configuration from within the program itself which will integrate well with the program functionally and visually.
That's basically what I said. :p

I think that a custom solution (using SQLite or MySQL) would be best, not a port of the Gconf or Kcontrol backends. Or just use a simple flat file thing.

Although I'm partial to MySQL, because it allows you to put all of your stuff together in one DBMS thing.

Squidge said:
Don't you think that every emulator and game accessing a SQL database is a little over the top?
I could host the SQL database for everybody's Craiginator on my computer! mwahaha

A flat-file DB would probably be the way to go. Although SQLite is pretty fast and... lite.

What it really needs is a registry.

More seriously.. If you want a standard program for modifying configuration you could make one yourself and then make it use 'plugins' for modifying different programs configuration files through a standard interface. If it catches on some devs might decide to use it as standard. A quick way of making something without a need for a menu for modifying settings.

Edit: To expand on this idea a little. Most programs use some form of ini file for configuration. A plugin could be something as simple as an XML document used to identify which each line represents and could then say what values are valid for that field. For software that doesn't use ini files for configuration... you'd just have to modify your software to cope with the file format used.

See, this whole "config" idea is the exact reason for open source (which all gp2x games should be imho...) You take the game, and modify it to your needs. Have global variables, or custom configs and whatnot. Thats whats great about opensource =D

Javacat said:
What it really needs is a registry.

More seriously.. If you want a standard program for modifying configuration you could make one yourself and then make it use 'plugins' for modifying different programs configuration files through a standard interface. If it catches on some devs might decide to use it as standard. A quick way of making something without a need for a menu for modifying settings.
Edit: To expand on this idea a little. Most programs use some form of ini file for configuration. A plugin could be something as simple as an XML document used to identify which each line represents and could then say what values are valid for that field. For software that doesn't use ini files for configuration... you'd just have to modify your software to cope with the file format used.

Because the registry works so well in Windows.

/var/etc/ should do fine, I'd say

Yeah, lets using a single file/database/whatever to store every programs data in. Even better, lets keep that file on the internal nand, because that's secure and reliable :p

Someone created a standard gui and configuration system for the gp2x, and even made it open source. The idea was that it got written once and everyone used that rather than spending time writing there own. I can't remember anything but my own software that actually used it.

The fact is devs usually go for the quickest way to save settings/etc to disk and may revisit it later on. If all the settings are stored in a structure for example, it's far easier to just dump that structure to disk in a binary file than spending ages calling code in a common library to read/write each and every member in/out of an XML file (for example).

The fact is we already have a very usable system to testing control/gui systems. If you want to make a difference, write it for the gp2x now, and then you only have to port it when the new system arrives. If everyone expects someone else to write it, I doub't it'll ever get done. Also, don't forget that most gp2x software will probably just be straight ported to the new system to start with.

atomicthumbs said:
Vorporeal said:
That's basically what I said. :p

I think that a custom solution (using SQLite or MySQL) would be best, not a port of the Gconf or Kcontrol backends. Or just use a simple flat file thing.

Although I'm partial to MySQL, because it allows you to put all of your stuff together in one DBMS thing.

As I had said before, I was in no way advocating a port of Gconf or Kcontrol. I was just suggesting thinking about developing a program that could function in a similar way and coalesce all of the configurations into one place where they could be edited.

Javacat's idea where a program would be written that uses XML (or other type) plugins to "learn" how to read and write these configs would work very well - the developer would be able to use their own method of reading and writing to configs, and other people could quickly write a plugin that would allow a user to configure that program from a configuration utility.

PoisonedV said:
See, this whole "config" idea is the exact reason for open source (which all gp2x games should be imho...) You take the game, and modify it to your needs. Have global variables, or custom configs and whatnot. Thats whats great about opensource =D
Now then you'd get your $0's worth! ;)

Squidge said:
Yeah, lets using a single file/database/whatever to store every programs data in. Even better, lets keep that file on the internal nand, because that's secure and reliable :p

Someone created a standard gui and configuration system for the gp2x, and even made it open source. The idea was that it got written once and everyone used that rather than spending time writing there own. I can't remember anything but my own software that actually used it.

The fact is devs usually go for the quickest way to save settings/etc to disk and may revisit it later on. If all the settings are stored in a structure for example, it's far easier to just dump that structure to disk in a binary file than spending ages calling code in a common library to read/write each and every member in/out of an XML file (for example).

The fact is we already have a very usable system to testing control/gui systems. If you want to make a difference, write it for the gp2x now, and then you only have to port it when the new system arrives. If everyone expects someone else to write it, I doub't it'll ever get done. Also, don't forget that most gp2x software will probably just be straight ported to the new system to start with.
Are you talking about that user interface guide? I tried to follow that... I think they're an excellent idea.

long time that I haven't had a look into this thread. It gets more awesome everytime I take a look at the discussion. And it seems, that nob epicenter has left aswell now. I hope craig will receive the parts soon (have I missed something? He is still waiting, no?) and we can take a look at the prototype [/droolmode]

^What did he do? I've heard a lot about him lately but missed the reason everyone hates him now. why's he banned?
sorry for off topic I have to ask as it's bugging me.

Can't wait to see something running on this next :)

zaffercharles said:
^What did he do? I've heard a lot about him lately but missed the reason everyone hates him now. why's he banned?
sorry for off topic I have to ask as it's bugging me.

Can't wait to see something running on this next :)
Didn't he used to be an leet dev?

Hello!

I seem to have recovered from the Glandge!

OK, so, very soon the people who sponsored me shall be asked for their addresses and sent a great present / exclusive.

Although we have been a little quiet of late things are going forward and the most recent plans make this system even more slick than we ever expected.

We hope to show you the Dpad in the next few days.

-Craig

craigix said:
Hello!

OK, so, very soon the people who sponsored me shall be asked for their addresses and sent a great present / exclusive.

Although we have been a little quiet of late things are going forward and the most recent plans make this system even more slick than we ever expected.

-Craig
*explodes*

craigix said:
Hello!

-Craig

Thanks for the info big man :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back