Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prehaps somebody whos on the ball could create a wiki page/FAQ of all the known information on the new console?

(or point me to one if such exists ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Finding data on TI's OMAP 3430 power consumption isn't easy. I just get tidbits like

"The Cortex-A8 processor was publicly launched at the end of 2005, TI introduced the OMAP 3 platform in 2006."

"The CortexTM-A8 superscalar microprocessor core, delivers 3X more performance than the ARM11 core used in OMAP 2 processors."

Here's the horses mouth:

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbu...her+OT+omap3430

I've only seen one reference to ARM Cortex A8 power draw and that was 300mw at an unspecified speed.

Remember that the OMAP 3430 is a SOC with dynamic clocking for both the cpu and dsp, so there's no fixed power drain. If the device is 'on' but sitting in a menu the 3430 could be drawing almost nothing, spending most of its time in a low power 'near sleep' mode. So devs looking to write stuff for craigulator should make things event driven, minimize unneeded loops and eyecandy animations, then it should charge just fine from usb if you're not actively playing anything...

Some reading on OMAP 2420 management is here

http://www.slideshare.net/igor_stoppa_noki...nternet-tablets

I'd expect that Linux would do all the power management for us - ie, when a task isn't actively running, it runs in slow or sleep mode.

The question would be how fast it could switch from "sleep" to "fully awake". Eg. If I need to wait 300us per frame, is the "awake->sleep->awake" latency too much to get that kind of timing? Or do I need to busy-loop?

Squidge said:
garzyboi said:
Hope this question hasn't been answered already but who manufactured the screen??????
Remove the unnecessary question marks from your post, and we might decide to tell you ;)

Oh that helps a lot :p, I had a gut-feeling samsung made it but I guess I'm probably better off not knowing a minor detail.

I'll just say it once. If this thing is powerful enough to do Dreamcast emulation, then I will not only buy it, but I will pre-order it asap. Without Dreamcast, it would be a bit of a hard sell for me. Though I like the wifi and GPS abilities, and PSX emu would be nice. But I'm not too big an N64 fan and it's handful of classic titles. Time will tell, but with emulation picking up for DC (I.E the NullDC emulator) I would think it should happen. This is coming from someone who isn't exactly techy, but I would pay $300+ for a handheld that could play Dreamcast at a playable speed.

That's just me, my apologies if I've all ready missed the boat for that discussion

Vince2501 said:
I'll just say it once. If this thing is powerful enough to do Dreamcast emulation, then I will not only buy it, but I will pre-order it asap. Without Dreamcast, it would be a bit of a hard sell for me. Though I like the wifi and GPS abilities, and PSX emu would be nice. But I'm not too big an N64 fan and it's handful of classic titles. Time will tell, but with emulation picking up for DC (I.E the NullDC emulator) I would think it should happen. This is coming from someone who isn't exactly techy, but I would pay $300+ for a handheld that could play Dreamcast at a playable speed.

That's just me, my apologies if I've all ready missed the boat for that discussion
What, you don't want to play Superman 64?

Senor Quack said:
Dreamcast or BUST, folks..
[snip]

.. dreamcast.

BUST

About the screen - that does look very much like a Samsung part. However the only Samsung part I can find which matches the photos, is a WQVGA+ screen of 480x272 pixels (and I'm guessing Sony is blocking sales of those to "unknown projects" as it matches the PSP resolution).

Vince2501 said:
Without Dreamcast, it would be a bit of a hard sell for me. Though I like the wifi and GPS abilities, and PSX emu would be nice. But I'm not too big an N64 fan and it's handful of classic titles. Time will tell, but with emulation picking up for DC (I.E the NullDC emulator) I would think it should happen. This is coming from someone who isn't exactly techy, but I would pay $300+ for a handheld that could play Dreamcast at a playable speed.

I believe it's been established by now, this device will not have GPS abilities (and no Bluetooth). If I'm wrong, feel free to correct.

Even with me not knowing a lot of programming and not knowing the extent of processing power of the Craiginator, I would still say that as emulators go, judging from what's been said in this thread by people in the know, fullspeed PSX is definitely going to happen, N64 might be possible but perhaps not entirely fullspeed (but playable, I'm sure). I'm finding it really hard, though, to believe the Craiginiator will have enough power to run a nullDC port (which is closed source so far, by the way) at even a fraction of fullspeed. Though I'd love to be proven wrong on that. :)

I'd rather focus on the improvement in other emulators that will be possible on the Craiginator, such as the WVGA resolution and touchscreen which will enable proper mouse-control and high-res games (CoMI, Touché...) in ScummVM, as well as proper Amiga emulation which enables use of Workbench. Emulators that have to use scalers to achieve the correct aspect ratio will not have to suffer from the crappy "nearest neighbor" scaler of the MMSP2, but might use substantially better scalers such as HQ2X or at least some less crappy scaling than "nearest neighbor". This applies to emulators of any platform which used "non-square pixels" stretched or squashed to fill a 4:3 screen, such as SegaCD, PCEngine, NES and SuperNES, CPS2 and more.
Also the power of the CPU/GPU in the Craiginator will substantially help improve emulation of many platforms such as the C64, Amiga, SNES, PSX and GBA, all of which will likely be possible to run fullspeed on the Craiginator, whereas some lack features (think SNES special chips) and/or require severe overclocking to run at a playable speed on the GP2X.

In summary, I think it warrants a pre-order anyway, or if you're hesitant, at least a purchase once the device has been evaluated on the market and we can see what improvements over the GP2X it has brought.

cappuchok said:
I'd rather focus on the improvement in other emulators that will be possible on the Craiginator, such as the WVGA resolution and touchscreen which will enable proper mouse-control and high-res games (CoMI, Touché...) in ScummVM, as well as proper Amiga emulation which enables use of Workbench. .
I'm currently playing Touche on the GP2X SCUMMVM; it runs fine IMO... I'm not so sure about COMI as I haven't tried it out yet.

pkostrze said:
I'm currently playing Touche on the GP2X SCUMMVM; it runs fine IMO... I'm not so sure about COMI as I haven't tried it out yet.
It does run, but I was talking about the VGA resolution which means it can run without downscaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back