Openpandora2, what we know so far.

We need to switch on the flow. That's the best solution.

BTW: Did you see EvilDragon is around here?

As long as that's the case no one here should worry to much.

He's one of us and wants everyone to be satisfied.

Linux and Android user.

:)

@thatgui

I know android wasn't the selling point when the Pandora was released, mainly because it was seen as a fly by night os and there wouldn't be LTS on it. But it has since proven its there to stay. Also the reason people don't use x86 android is because of software compatiblities because the software isn't supported universal like it is on arm v7 devices (vast majority of android mobile devices) and that most x86 devices aren't touchscreen. Mouse works but it's shoving a round peg in a square hole.
A lot of x86 Devices have Touchscreen, I still think there is no real appel using it on a x86 umpc,slate,tablet,notebook,whatever..

Its now an actual selling point along side the battery life and other critical features the Pandora advertises because people use and want it regardless, bringing up the android port to the same level as Angstrom is important.
Is it really a selling point (maybe Ed could tell) ?

I know a lot of people are in for both, but what I'm saying android should share the same spotlight as angstrom and should have a similar use ability that is all. And vise versa. The naysayers are the ones that suggest Linux should be the main and only focus and leave the android implantation to the same level it is now. It technically works and they are fine with the way it is. If he can commit to both that would be ideal, but having craig on one side pushing for android, and ED pushing for linux is a good solution to because they're both in the planning and direction of the device... if they could come closer together on one view that would be great, but as is , is good too IMO.
Does Android actually need much support ? Android is already supporting additional input devices, and with carefully choosen additional Hardware (Wifi, Bluetooth, additonal Controllers) shouldn't it be relativly easy to bring it to the Pandora ?

It won't be just another android device, it will be the first and only device that runs android and Linux coexisting on the same device right out of the box. And the only gaming clamshell to run android, and the one with the best controls and a real keyboard, those are all unique things in this current market, and those are all things I am would buy.... and why I'm a proud owner of one now.
Im quite unsure about that, I believe most people don't care much, and with Emulators getting better and better and the growing market of additional controllers (ICP2 ?) there isn't really much left to be competitive.

I think I've heard that fear before in that if you focus on android Linux would get the reverse as what android gets now on the Pandora... I don't think... no... I know that won't happen because of how many on here are a fan of pure Linux. The community will support Linux regardless because of the fact of how many non paid current devs maintain it right now. Not the same for android so that's why there needs a official commitment for android support, that's why Craig is doing the right thing even if he doesn't see it the way I do.
Sure the community will support it, but when it comes down to "grunts work" the ranks grow thin. There is the big player notaz, who is currently doing the most work, and "some" other devs that contribute too. But if notaz for whatever reasons decides he does not want to work on the P2s OS, Ed will have a hard time supporting Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
The handheld world of 2012-2013 is vastly different than that of 2008-2009, is it not?

In 2008 I could show people pics of the Pandora and their minds were blown. Now everyone is used to pocketable computers, with user-interfaces optimized for handheld use.

I think Ed understands what differentiates the Pandora from the rest of the handheld world, and one big point next to the emulation is that it runs a desktop-like linux OS. This is a feature which is definitely not for everyone, but attracts a niche of customers who are willing to pay (and wait for delivery).

Is that niche big enough to support a software ecosystem? Hard question. Angstrom struggles to keep up with desktop linux (broken CUPS for eg). Pandora struggles to keep up with Angstrom. I think we can be very proud of how much has been achieved but I think Craig has concerns regarding amount of skilled developers who can maintain and update the core OS in the future. Thats why he wants the "problem solved" with android.

I belong to the group of customers who want a real GNU-linux on a portable device. I want the freedom to make improvements and submit them to a repository, not an "app store". I want to see GNU-linux thrive into the 21st century. I want to give my grandkids a Free, Open-Source software device and say "I helped make this a reality".

God bless the OpenPandora team.

Random thought:

One niche you might attract with the P2 is strict free software supporters and the FSF, if you offer to ship the pandora with a completely free OS, and have a separate "libre" version of the website promoting the Pandora with it. Even if some of the features such as built-in WiFi and 3D acceleration didn't work, I'm pretty sure there are no pocketable devices out there that ship without nonfree software, so it could give it an extra edge with almost no extra effort.

Of course, this could in theory be done with the current Pandora, but the limited NAND kind of makes it impractical. Lots more NAND (at least 8GB) or using an internal MicroSD card would make it more practical for the P2.

[A lot of x86 Devices have Touchscreen, I still think there is no real appel using it on a x86 umpc,slate,tablet,notebook,whatever..

I agree, I would never use android on a desktop, but as a mobile os, tablet, phone and other touchscreen device I prefer it over a mouse and keyboard and gnome / xwindows interface. My main laptop is a asus transformer for example and it's a clamshell touchscreen w/ touchpad... it works good but if it were any bigger I'd probally want a xwindows setup but that's just preference. But I know for absolute certain if it was x86 I wouldn't use it because I couldn't use a large portion of the best software on the appstore. One is preference, the other is a limitation.

Does Android actually need much support ? Android is already supporting additional input devices, and with carefully choosen additional Hardware (Wifi, Bluetooth, additonal Controllers) shouldn't it be relativly easy to bring it to the Pandora ?
it may not be a large commitment to maintain/support, maybe not as much as a standard linux. But the inital port needs to have everything working close to perfectly. So it may not be a huge manpower intensive obligation, especially when a lot of the work is being handed to you. But looking at notaz's modifcations to the rowboat project and cm7 it doesn't look like it tooks months ( well maybe it would for mere mortals )

Im quite unsure about that, I believe most people don't care much, and with Emulators getting better and better and the growing market of additional controllers (ICP2 ?) there isn't really much left to be competitive.

ICP2 is a great idea, but it doesn't beat a singular device that does everything. You could pull any one of pandora's features out and say... well you could do what it does if you took x y and added z...

EDIT: wanted to add an example, take any android smartphone, port angstrom to it or setup a vm and remote desktop with angstrom under android, pair it with a icp2 add 4000mah extended battery = instant pandora... It's not the same because it's having separate devices, it does matter to the people the pandora is targeted at.

but the appeal to me is it's a singular device. It doesn't matter to everyone, and that's the niche I think... One device to rule them all. You see no appeal in combining some people's use cases for owning a smartphone into what's already on the pandora?

Sure the community will support it, but when it comes down to "grunts work" the ranks grow thin. There is the big player notaz, who is currently doing the most work, and "some" other devs that contribute too. But if notaz for whatever reasons decides he does not want to work on the P2s OS, Ed will have a hard time supporting Linux.

we can at least agree on one thing, without notaz the pandora would not be anywhere near where it is today... one might even see it as a common point of failure if he were to lose interest. Linux started as a hobbist OS, supported by hobbists, Commercial support (or any help really) I'm guessing is always welcome, but isn't half of what makes linux so special is software by the community for the community?

"some" .. we have names! djwillis, me, uh.. yeah, ranks are thin (We just lost sebt3 :( , so .. any abled bodies, as always, step forward.. we can always use more blood!

jeff

"some" .. we have names! djwillis, me, uh.. yeah, ranks are thin (We just lost sebt3 :( , so .. any abled bodies, as always, step forward.. we can always use more blood!

jeff
Mea Culpa, I know the names (well, most) but I thought if I leave one out or spell him incorrectly (djwillis is easy, skeezix get problematic , but slea????) he will be upset,

I assure you youre more than just devs with a order number to me - sorry

Why did we loose sebt3 ?

(I was fishing to see if more devs would step forward; it rarely happens, but I do like to throw it out there every few weeks just in case :)

sebt3 (and Prometheus to some extent) tired of a growing 'gimme gimme' sentiment among some of our more vocal people; ie: you do something for free, in spare time, for fun, and sometimes you just get too much grief from people who never say thanks, just bitch and moan. After awhile, the amount of annoyance just wears you down... and that was sebt3. He felt the community was turning more like PSP and iOS and such, less fun, more 'demanding'. There are those people for sure, in every community.. the trick is to keep them in the minority :/ I think we're okay still, but I wasn't a mod, and a few recent projects posted by sebt3 did get him a few really annoying trolls :/

jeff

People who really enjoy and appreciate somebody's work often do so in silence, which is why a minority can easily destroy a good community as ours. Mr. Loon is absolutely right about "taking the Pandora pledge" (), this alone can make a big difference.

(not saying I did any better, it took that thread to make me aware of such a simple concept, too)

No point in my post being here if people are going to quote out of context, and try to construe meaning where there is none. Love how short-sighted people are. Not posting anymore(ever). I'll check back on the project in a couple of years, to see if people can be more grown up and not try to change the meaning of people's thoughts.

I'm waiting on the pandora 1ghz to get into "can order and get within 1month" before I finally jump on board

That's been the case for over two months now... shipped one day after payment has been done from my shop (see signature below).

Right now I'm out of stock, but production of the next 1000 will resume next week.

I'm waiting on the pandora 1ghz to get into "can order and get within 1month" before I finally jump on board

That's been the case for over two months now... shipped one day after payment has been done from my shop (see signature below).

Right now I'm out of stock, but production of the next 1000 will resume next week.

Wait... what? Well then I guess I need to hit up some family members then. I told them from my birthday this year, and christmas last year, to hold off, maybe even the birthday of that last year too... because I said I wanted "Probably the best nostalgia factory out there". Will there be a shipment going out ~novemberish or so? Since I'll have to hit them up and tell them the time has come.(I was also planning on ordering from you anyway, as craig is eccentric and I like more down to earth people). I'm going to PM you my address, so that I can get an estimate on shipping.

OF COURSE OPENPANDORAS CAN BE SOLD FOR $200 WITH CONTRACT[/font

JESUS

1. three year contract.
  2. $30 per month
  3. production cost of $750
  4. 30*3*12=1080
  5. profit!

1. three year contract.

2. ship Pandora (- $700)

3. $30 per month

4. 2 months in and only one payment.

5. ED send please pay up email, (- valuable time)

6. 6 months later no money, pays debt collect to retrive money (-$1000)

7. 6 months later payment plan worked out with debt collector , $10 a month

8. 6 years later ED has $700.

Doesn't sound worth it to me.

Back