Openpandora2, what we know so far.

FRZ

Website
Visit site
This is a collection of tibits that we gather from Craigix responses to our guesses of what the future Openpandora with be, shape, specs wise, software, etc.

For one we can almost say for sure that it will dual boot a linux distribution with android. I'm not so sure about anything else.

Send from my ZTE Warp

EdIt: this is everything from the 5" screen (on a P2) thread as of 27/7/2012

It's a clamshell. But we have thought about using the touch screen with your fingers too.
We have already made clear that Android will be running on it (this is a condition of access to the HW)
So you can just install Linux on your P2
If we could get them, I'd want a 1920*1080 LCD.
we have considered harvesting other tech which is sold at a loss, however we want the absolute best in the P2. Also it would severally limit the design if we harvested.
It won't be 6 months, it will be at least a year from now. Possibly Christmas 2013. But it's a design which is really nice. The LCD decision will make sense when you understand how the P2 works.
I'd like to explain more about the P2 design and why this screen is very important to it, but we're not planning to do that until 2013, but all will be explained and it will make sense when you see it.
I'm pretty confident that 1920*1080 will be the the limit on smart phone resolutions for the foreseeable future, maybe even for 6-10 years, because, as you say, it's really pointless to go any further as you can't really see the difference.
1024 wide is what I'd like to see as a minimum

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone could put all of craigs posts about the p2 and link them to this thread.they are all in the pandora stalker. also a disclaimer stating that these tidbits are not necessarily written in stone so dont get your hopes up would be useful.

Here's everything from Pandora with microSD - will you buy it? as of 7/27/2012:

Full sized SD will have been surpassed by the domination of new devices using micro SD by then. Full sized SD isn't the future.

this suggests that there will be backwards compatibility

there's nothing in microSDXC, SDXC, and mixed configurations:

It will have a large battery, and it will be in the base of the unit, not in the id

Storage:

It will have two microSD slots and no full SD slot:

This is apparantly already decided, according to this October 7th IRC message:

< ixix> Ed, me, Mike, none of us want old SD

Design:

It will be "modular", in the sense that the board containing the SoC will be easier to swap:

They're probably putting the SoC, memory, PMIC, and maybe some other stuff on separate circuit board. This is a good idea not just because you can swap the board but also because it can be cheaper to manufacture (a small many layer board plus a big few layer board is cheaper than a big many layer board) and less expensive to fix because there's no single point of failure where any bad component can make the whole board useless.

This is part of the reason, we did want to do the Pandora1 with two boards but it was too complex and would have been too large.

They intend to use engineering samples to put on the "brain board" in order to keep the specs up to date:

We intend to keep putting the latest ES on that brain board for as long as there is a market.

You can generally get ES samples months before MP samples.

So I think we can stay ahead pretty much for as long as we like, plus we have some big industry backing for this idea, companies want a HD device to show off their SoCs.

It will not use an LCD cable that is prone to failure:

It does not seem to be possible to make a 100% perfect LCD cable. The Pandora2, if it happens, will not use one, it will use alterative tech, ie a solid cable.
If the Pandora 2 uses an OMAP5, it won't even need an LCD Cable, as the transfer is serial digital, not parallel anymore.

Screen:

ED prefers a 1280x800 display:

I don't think that whatever Craig says amount to "decisions" yet. We haven't heard that ED is thinking about all this.

I mentioned that somewhere already, I'd prefer 1280x800 or (if that's not available) 720p.

More pixels don't make much sense, as no normal human eye can't see them on such a small size.

So yes, it would most probably need more power, more CPU power and wouldn't make sense because you can't see the difference.

while Craig prefers a 1920x1080 display (Full HD):

No need to make the P2 $100 more expensive just to have extra pixels nobody can see while they do make your cpu/gpu work harder to get them rendered, and both the screen and the cpu/gpu use more power. At some point the extra pixels are no longer a feature. Full HD is fine for a projector or a 21" screen, but it is insanity for a 5" screen. I don't care that there are companies actually doing this - they are just foolish.

Because all phones will move to this resolution during 2013/2014, these screens will become the best value and quality.

Indeed the screen is one part which can't be changed, so that's why it's going to be as good as it can be.

Also, as I've said, it will be the best handheld on the market when launched, we will then aim to keep it that way via the modular nature of the brain board.

Doubters can doubt, tell me about it in 2013.

Then again in 2014.

OS Support:

Android will be supported from the start (by the HW manifacturer). It will be possible to boot Linux. It's not clear to what extent Linux will be "officially supported" or whether or not the option will be included by default.

Battery:

We have designed around the battery maybe being up to 6200mah (the whole base of the lower part). We might not actually need that as really I feel the 10 hour point is the main goal.

Android will be supported from the start (by the HW manifacturer). It will be possible to boot Linux. It's not clear to what extent Linux will be "officially supported" or whether or not the option will be included by default.
Android will be nice, but that is not what defines the Pandora. Linux is required to be fully supported. Without this, it would just be another Android device. P2 will be out matched in every angle. Everyone in the community would leave and look elsewhere.

If however P2 had Linux, we will improve on the Pandora and the community will grow. It is the only hand held computer out there.

I'm hoping that as well as an influx of ES chips, the team will pick a few long-term-support ones (maybe every two years), and they will be around long enough to grow some solid software

This is apparantly already decided, according to this October 7th IRC message:

< ixix> Ed, me, Mike, none of us want old SD

Probably some misunderstanding, as I surely want a fullsized SD slot and Michael wants one if we have the space for it (which is something that needs to be checked).

EDIT: Just found an eMail Craig sent me a few hours ago where he asked whether we're set with MicroSD or not. Not sure about Mike (the above is the latest info from him), but I'm pretty sure I want full sized SD if possible (don't want to throw away my 128GB Card... and that size is not even possible yet with MicroSDXC)

^

Are there 64GB SDXC micros even?

And how much do they cost?

Just found a Lexar 128GB for $120. What would a 128GB SDXC (edit)micro cost when they are finally available?

I want regular sized SD as well, at least one.

EDIT: Just found an eMail Craig sent me a few hours ago where he asked whether we're set with MicroSD or not. Not sure about Mike (the above is the latest info from him), but I'm pretty sure I want full sized SD if possible (don't want to throw away my 128GB Card... and that size is not even possible yet with MicroSDXC)
Just make a democratic poll. ;)

SD prefered by me because I don't have to buy Micro SDs then. :D BUT if the space of the P2 requires thiny MicroSD, then use it but I hate memory medias that are so tiny to be lost every 5 minutes, that's the major point of not using Micro SDs. They are just waaaaayyyy to small and fragile for a save memory medium.

There are in fact 64GB microSD cards, have been for a while. They're not that much different in price from full SD cards because they're the same chips.

There are in fact 64GB microSD cards, have been for a while. They're not that much different in price from full SD cards because they're the same chips.

Ah, nice, didn't know that.

Not that many do exist though, it seems. Only found some SanDisks.

Are there even other brands out there yet?

The real issue for microsd besides smaller capacity is speed.

While read speed seems close to full-sized cards of similar capacity (at least in paper), write speeds are hardly more than 10 mb/s while full-sized cards can achieve at least twice that speed.

There are really fast microsd cards with 16gb maximum capacity so I actually like the idea of internal microsd slot for use as system drive that don't need to be very large but I don't see any other viable option to have large and moderately fast storage on pandora that is really needed when using it as a laptop replacement.

Besides I don't really see the movement to microsd cards in cameras so integrated sd cardreader is also good in that regard, besides it is included almost in every laptop nowadays

You can't be serious with this:

Michael has actually said he would like to have one SDXC if it's possible, but just let me remind you how big 'big' SD is:

sdcomp.jpg

If that's the size of Pandora 2 how to get a 5" + screen inside?

I want it about the size of Pandora 1.

Everyone, take out a SD of your Pandora and place it onto the keyboard.

Do you really want such a tiny Pandora.

Me not.

Don't make the ICP 2 as a fixed size for Pandora 2.

Back