Are we running out of RETRO?

There's a lot more to retro than SNES and MegaDrive. There are plenty of European and Japanese 8-bit machines we don't have emulators for as far as I know - the old Orics and Welsh Dragons, NEC's PC8801 series machines. To be honest most of the European machines are curiosities, only containing inferior ports of more famous arcade games, but the PC8801 had some classic game series on it - dunno how playable they are if you can't read Japanese though.
but as pointed out, just becsue we dont play them currently, doesnt mean they are good enough for us to want to play them
Yep, but just because we don't play them currently, doesn't mean they aren't any good either!

It's ever diminishing returns with each of these less famous older systems, but I'd say the PC8801 might be worth getting running. And as for older systems like the Dragon 32/Tandy CoCo there might be thousands of people who had those systems as their first computers.

And there's also the game archival aspect - given the Pandora is already able to run 99 out of 100 of the old games any of us can think of from 1989 and before, why not try to make that last 1 out of 100?

It would appear I was hasty in my appraisal of the situation though - according to the http://pandorawiki.org/Emulator_List there are already emulators for the major Oric computers, and for the PC-9801, if not the PC-8801. They're just not on the repo, that's all.

^ I say we still need a good coco emulator. I need to play Dungeons of Daggorath in all it's glory.

Edit: Well found a linux PC port with source code.. needs openGL!? maybe I have an excuse now to play with lunixboch's opengl implementation..

Last edited by a moderator:
You raise an interesting point. Just what is "retro"? I've been pondering this for literally two minutes and 36 seconds now, and believe I have a definition.

You see, I don't class the PS1, N64 or even the SNES as retro - they are all part of my late-teens. What I do class as retro are things like Space Invaders, Pacman, Spectrum/ZX81, C64. Others here do see the SNES as retro, they see the N64 and even PS1 as retro - and you'll likely find that they were the consoles that they encountered when they were young (ie, before their teenage years). To me, these 8bit (and their predecessors) CPUs were magical, they were the forefront of my experience. Because I was young, and they were complex.

So something is retro depending on your age, rather than the age of the console. They trigger certain memories, certain feelings that your more adult and sophisticated mind is incapable of experiencing now with newer tech.

D.
exactly

On topic: there is still a big catalogue of (MS-)Dos games, that aren't playable currently on the Pandora

And as for older systems like the Dragon 32/Tandy CoCo there might be thousands of people who had those systems as their first computers.

I had a Dragon 32 as my first computer & would love to see a Dragon / CoCo emulator optimised for Pandora. :)

Not sure the games available for Dragon would set the boards on fire but there are quite a few retro gems and the chance to replay a few childhood favourites on Pandora would make this old man very happy :)

Somebody will eventually get around to simulating all those old Vacuum tube FL games too (More Oculus rift dreaming; I'd love to be able to 'see' the actual unit in my hands too!) - I just picked up a Gakken 'Earth Invaders' boxed and mint in a charity shop to add to my collection, they belong in a special bubble of the early 80s that vanished as soon as home computing landed.

I have LHX for DOS, on my Windows 95 machine which is really slow. Can't even defrag the thing: the program for doing it doesn't do anything.

Ya know I don't think there's much of the COSMAC Elf around here or on the OP. Anyone want to emulate it?

I always consider consoles that are 2 generations old.. as 'retro'

So when the PS4 and 'Xbox one' get released  I'll probably consider PS2 and Xbox (original/ #1/ 0/ the first ONE) retro.

Plus I didn't know retro was a commodity we can run out of.

An emulator that can emulate the Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer (1-3) or Dragon 32/64 in the UK.

Despite the TRS-80 name, they actually don't have a Z80 processor.. but a Motorola MC6809E.. I guess TRS-80 was a good marketing name back in the day..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back