Openpandora2, what we know so far.

I hope we can "configure" our Pandoras in 2013 before buying them. Maybe ther'll be an LCD keyboard like the Razer Switchblade? oh and the Pandora MUST have an intel Celeron Processor! xD jk

Random thought:

One niche you might attract with the P2 is strict free software supporters and the FSF, if you offer to ship the pandora with a completely free OS, and have a separate "libre" version of the website promoting the Pandora with it. Even if some of the features such as built-in WiFi and 3D acceleration didn't work, I'm pretty sure there are no pocketable devices out there that ship without nonfree software, so it could give it an extra edge with almost no extra effort.

Of course, this could in theory be done with the current Pandora, but the limited NAND kind of makes it impractical. Lots more NAND (at least 8GB) or using an internal MicroSD card would make it more practical for the P2.

Perhaps having a MicroSD slot above the battery so that users could swap it out without disassembling the thing?

Regarding Linux VS Android, we could have it be a store option or, what I would like, is a boot select menu (Graphics on the menu would be awesome, especially for non-nerds) but I personally want Linux. I definitely would still run Android due to it's bigger app directory.

I hope we can "configure" our Pandoras in 2013 before buying them. Maybe ther'll be an LCD keyboard like the Razer Switchblade? oh and the Pandora MUST have an intel Celeron Processor! xD jk
That would be the worst thing the Pandora team could do personally :p

I definitely would still run Android due to it's bigger app directory.

Ahem - bigger isn't always better.

The applications that we currently have on our Pandora consoles are of a higher quality than what I can get for my Android device.

Example: Music players.

Pandora: Audacious, Exaile

Android: No real equivalent.

Regarding Linux VS Android, we could have it be a store option or, what I would like, is a boot select menu (Graphics on the menu would be awesome, especially for non-nerds) but I personally want Linux. I definitely would still run Android due to it's bigger app directory.

Remember that although Craig is vocal about the wonders of android, and the certainty of manufacturer support, ED (all hail the master of geekdom) would want to ship real linux.

---

Android - more crapware than any other operating system!

Last edited by a moderator:
Android is not totally crapware there are great games for it (at least the most popular ones) and it is always great to see some high end games like shadowgun being runned on pandora :) android is very bad in comparison with real linux but it has a huge selection of propietary software and lot of gaming possibilities that can be delivered for pandora however I really think that android is only good for games. But binky I totally get your point ;)

@2bit: what, exactly, do you want to PAY someone to configure? I do not want the price to increase because some people want customized software installs.

@LuSimon: putting a period at the end of each sentence improves readability.

i'm not sure where to ask this:

are there any perspectives on the following features, that you know?:

hdmi output

camera (front/back)

Personally I think there should be a P1.5 before the P2. Because, as I see it, the P1 had a lot of set backs.

This created a great community and the pandora hardware should support this community.

All the discussion currently is about a device that would completely fragment the community as it would add yet another group of users: the P2 ones and may leave the P1 users in the cold (software development wise).

Also the development of this device would carry the same risks as the P1 had, although the team has some more experience now.

So I would suggest to keep the P1 alive, just like the 1GHz version, and improve generic parts that can be used by everyone in the community.

Maybe add the multitouch to the 1GHz unit for android support or even a higher resolution screen. Obvious updates like RAM or pin compatible (better) CPU could be considered.

The core idea is to have as much advantage of the current hardware and production as possible.

Also another issue could be the costs. The P1 at 1GHz is quite costly and could cost a lot of potential new community members.

Improving the current device and actually lowering the costs (I know the price is currently artificially high due to the set backs) creating some buffer to realistically build the P2.

As introducing the P2 in the near future will kill the P1 sales for sure leaving the pandora team with unsold units (price drops would sell them though, but that might cost them money if they drop below manufacturing price).

Also the community would benefit from the hardware upgrades, as they can upgrade their own device, keeping the original community active.

I have also seen discussions about a new cpu on the boards, but I thought maybe we can add a extra co-processor to the original board; like the Epiphany-IV.

This co-processor would add about +/-100GFLOPS to the current CPU (OMAP3530=25MFLOPS/3730=36MFLOPS). However it does use a lot more power: 2W compared to 1.1W for the 3530 and 0.6W for 3730. Also, its already late I and might not have the correct numbers ;-)

If you want to check for youself, sources:

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/OMAP3530_Power_Estimation_Spreadsheet

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/AM/DM37x_Power_Estimation_Spreadsheet

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Android_Comparative_Benchmarks

http://74.220.215.219/~adapteva/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/technology_table.png

I have also seen discussions about a new cpu on the boards, but I thought maybe we can add a extra co-processor to the original board; like the Epiphany-IV. This co-processor would add about +/-100GFLOPS to the current CPU (OMAP3530=25MFLOPS/3730=36MFLOPS). However it does use a lot more power: 2W compared to 1.1W for the 3530 and 0.6W for 3730. Also, its already late I and might not have the correct numbers ;-)

Wouldn't that require a drastic PCB redesign?

Personally I think there should be a P1.5 before the P2. Because, as I see it, the P1 had a lot of set backs.

This created a great community and the pandora hardware should support this community.

All the discussion currently is about a device that would completely fragment the community as it would add yet another group of users: the P2 ones and may leave the P1 users in the cold (software development wise).

Yes, something like the 1GHz model but with an even better cpu, more RAM, maybe more NAND, faster SD slots, an improved keyboard (the one from the ICP2), maybe something like a PixelQi screen (good direct daylight visibility), better wifi, etc. In terms of software it could be mostly completely compatible, but it would still be a major improvement, especially if the price can be kept low. It has to be possible with minimal PCB design changes though, and preferably with as many components from the P1 reused as possible (most of the case, battery, etc.).

To keep full software compatibility, the cpu would need to be backwards compatible to that of the P1, and the screen should also be 800x480 because lots of Pandora stuff is hardcoded for that resolution. But other than that, you could upgrade most components without much problems in userspace software.

Personally I think there should be a P1.5 before the P2.

Interesting idea: Keep the case, keymat, nubs etc and make a new board. Maybe put the speakers in the case and make a new lid with wider, higher res screen.

Would cut a lot of devedlopment costs wouldnt it?

edit: and no, no coprocessor board - a faster SoC like Omap5.

Personally I think there should be a P1.5 before the P2.

Interesting idea: Keep the case, keymat, nubs etc and make a new board. Maybe put the speakers in the case and make a new lid with wider, higher res screen.

Would cut a lot of devedlopment costs wouldnt it?

edit: and no, no coprocessor board - a faster SoC like Omap5.

I wonder why nobody started a thread along those lines...

Ok, since Android is coming on the device by default, can someone make an app specifically for the Pandora 1 and 2 that works like the Game Keyboard, but specifically for the Pandora and with more functionality? With things like Android action keys, and mouse functionality (with the nubs).Make it optimized to work with things like N.O.V.A. so you can look around with a nub instead of touching the screen.

Also, can we have a "pro" version of the Pandora 2 with a capacitive multitouch screen? I'm shell out lots for that

Ok, since Android is coming on the device by default, can someone make an app specifically for the Pandora 1 and 2 that works like the Game Keyboard, but specifically for the Pandora and with more functionality? With things like Android action keys, and mouse functionality (with the nubs).Make it optimized to work with things like N.O.V.A. so you can look around with a nub instead of touching the screen.

Also, can we have a "pro" version of the Pandora 2 with a capacitive multitouch screen? I'm shell out lots for that

Its already there, game keyboard can map physical buttons using androids standard key calls to on screen events. Android also has native joystick support as long as its translated to the native android events for axis locations. I cant see op not wanting to use a platform standard as more and more games that support joysticks are supporting it.

Back