Open2x Dr4

Been waiting for this ever since I got my F200 and logged onto gp32x.de! +1 for F200 support, definitely!

I have nothing but admiration for what you guys have accomplished, and I think the sooner I dump the slow and buggy Gamepark firmware the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it revived my interest on my gp2x that was lying dead for a couple a months. :eek:
Tried with a few programs and they all worked. And somehow, the battery life increased.

Found one bug very annoying: i tried playing 2 videos with the built-in movie player and the program just crashes after a few seconds, forcing me to reboot the gp2x. Is this a solo case or has happened to anyone else?

Any chance these can be uploaded somewhere else, I am not having luck downloading from the links.

2 issues to fix, and it's _the_ firmware for the GP2X
- Please make the mp3 player working with VBR MP3s. Good choice for the player, though.
- Add the touchscreen device for the F200. Pretty *please*

I got it on both of mine (F100 and F200) and it works good. The boot times are incredibly fast!

KungPhoo said:
I got it on both of mine (F100 and F200) and it works good. The boot times are incredibly fast!

How did you get it on the F200? Did you just install the F100 version? Or did you compile your own F200 version from the SVN? I understood that the video hardware is different so the F100 version would produce no display.

I'd like to have a go at it on my F200 and I don't actually care for the touchscreen atm. I think for what I'm using the GP2X for, the advantages of open2x are more important than the touchscreen.

Would love to give feedback on this as I've been waiting for this firmware to be released to the public for a very long time.. But the links in the first post are broken unfortunately.

The links aren't working because they are hosted on ED's server, which is down.

Squirrel61 said:
KungPhoo said:

How did you get it on the F200?
I just installed the F100 version, linked above. Worked for me.

While I had suspected before that there would be a few F200s for which the F100 version of Open2x would work, I wouldn't recommend people trying it in general. It may well work to some extent, but most F200s use a totally different screen so you won't be able to see anything other than on the serial console.

This is what happened to me: (F-100)

1. I copy contents to the root of my 1 GB Sandisk SD card.
2. Boot the GP2X with START+SELECT pressed.
3. "UPGRADING FIRMWARE" shows for a few seconds.
4. It shows Open2X screen with "Network Devices", "Mount root fs" and "Loading userspace" and freezes on the last.
5. (I wait a while and) turn the machine off and boot it again with START+SELECT, exactly the same thing repeats again.
6. I try to boot without SD-card inserted, it will freeze on "Mount root fs" instead of "Loading userspace".

The SD card was freshly formatted as FAT32 just in case, and has been used to upgrade previous official GPH firmware. (2.0.0 - 2.1.1)

I also noticed something while on the "UPGRADING FIRMWARE" screen. From GPH firmwares I remember it saying "Please Wait" or something like that right under Upgrading Firmware. (still in the white box) But here I don't see it at all, however if I tilt the screen a bit forward I am able to see it, GREATLY garbled and unreadable. :blink:

At the moment I'm waiting for the file archive to come online again so I can revert back to official firmware. (hopefully)

I do hope I can get Open2X to work somehow, but at the moment I have no idea how.

I took the plunge and installed it on my F200.

Disclaimer: I do take Orkie's advice seriously when he says that it's not recommended for F200 at this stage. And others should too. But I did it anyway, because I'm big and ugly enough to deal with any negative outcomes. Thankfully, all went ok. :)

To Orkie, Senor Quack and anyone else involved, fantastic job. I can't imagine how much thought, sweat and spare time has gone into this. So, thank you for all your work.

I haven't done any extensive testing yet. I've run several apps without issues so far, and a couple that didn't work. I'll take notes along the way, hopefully any feedback I give will be relevant to Open2x on the whole and not just the F200.

It's a little bit exciting to see it anyway. B)

So yes, I actually got mine to work (formatted the SD card I always use and installed it through that; no problems there, even though my installation process went differently somehow than the original article said it would go; can't remember how it differed anymore since it's been a few weeks)..

Too bad gmu doesn't work, though, as that was my player of choice. Even installing it to my SD card doesn't make it work; as soon as I change volume, it stops outputting any sound. So now, I'm back to using Oldplay, which --thanks to the now-proper volume levels Open2x provides me with-- isn't too bad either, really; and it actually plays some files which gmu didn't like one bit...

GMU has been fixed (M-HT found the faulty behavior of SDL_Delay, I fixed it in the newer SDLs Open2X firmware uses.) Lots more work is being done also.

Gruso said:
I took the plunge and installed it on my F200.

Disclaimer: I do take Orkie's advice seriously when he says that it's not recommended for F200 at this stage. And others should too. But I did it anyway, because I'm big and ugly enough to deal with any negative outcomes. Thankfully, all went ok. :)

I was already considering the same, thinking along the same lines. And considering that even when it would brick, I could unbrick it since I have the cradle, the cables and the software and all has already been tested working. So no real risk here.

The only thing keeping me from beating you in the race is the fact that the archive was offline for a few days and I didn't download the files before.

I must say, I'm quite impressed by the outcome. Boot time is fabulous if all you're used to is 4.0.0 or higher boot times (almost an eternity). It all looks smooth and slick and as far as I've tested, it's working marvellous!

To Orkie, Senor Quack and anyone else involved, fantastic job. I can't imagine how much thought, sweat and spare time has gone into this. So, thank you for all your work.

I haven't done any extensive testing yet. I've run several apps without issues so far, and a couple that didn't work. I'll take notes along the way, hopefully any feedback I give will be relevant to Open2x on the whole and not just the F200.

It's a little bit exciting to see it anyway. B)

I second that, will provide feedback (when appropriate) too! Btw. I'm not missing the touchscreen yet ;)

MESSAGE TO ALL F200 USERS:
You can safely try this. Just follow the directions in the readme closely, because I think most problems mentioned by other users come from not booting the 2nd time in update mode before doing a normal boot. Install both files from the first post and you should be OK. You can always revert to original firmware by putting a 4.0.0 or 4.0.2 (depending on your F200 model) on the card and entering update mode. As far as I've tested, the flashing process is fully safe.

Since GMU is fixed will there be another release?
I am also looking forward to getting open2x on f200. But would prefer to wait for Orkie's OK.

Im really appreciating all the hard work that went into this. Just the shorter boot time alone makes me more likely to pick up the 2x for a quick play.

I know a lot of gp2x devs have commented on how quiet it has become around here. I disagree. Sure it's calmed down a bit, but the excessive number of new users making pointless threads and posts kind of buries the gp2x stuff. I know there are still a ton of guys out there who use their gp2x and appreciate all the hard work going on. Keep at it guys!

Back