Open2x Dr4

tried it on my f200 that shipped with 4.0.0 and everything went smoothly. the boot time is very fast which is definitely appreciated after dealing with slow 4.0.0 boot times. some nice built in apps though had a problem with gmu (which has always been my favorite music player) though I see now that those issues had been fixed.

only issues I came up with at first was autorun initially brought me to my version of gmenu2x and exiting gmenu2x just brought up a mostly blank screen and put me back at my version of gmenu. i moved my autorun file rebooted and was able to get to open2x version of gmenu2x fine. of course can't really blame you guys on that since f200 isn't even officially supported yet. also, any way to transfer old gmenu links to the open2x version?

anyway great work on a completely community oriented gp2x firmware. its been quite a while since any worthwhile gph firmware updates came and this was just too exciting a development to wait on so despite warnings from orkie I had to try this on my f200. anything from after 2.x series firmware from gph has been crap so we f200 users stuck with 4.x really needed this.

thanks for all your hard work. i've also more recently realized how useful and helpful the open2x project has been for gp2x besides the firmware.

Some first experiences:
  • Boot time is incredible! It's just sad that the uboot part still takes some secons, in fact it seems like uboot takes more time than the remaining boot process.
  • It looks like overall operation of the gp2x is faster and smoother. Gmenu loads faster, games and emus load faster and everything just feels better.
  • Had some issues with gmenu. I still had gmenu2x autoboot on my sdcard and that worked flawlessly. When I wanted to enter the open2x version of gmenu, I rebooted with the sdcard ejected until the menu appeared. So far so good. But when I inserted the sdcard to start some software and exited that software, the old gmenu loaded. Still nothing serious, but from that moment, something's getting nervous. The "tab" bar keeps flipping between two tabs, the menu keeps flipping between two icons and the lower right "power" icon keeps flipping between "battery" and "AC". It's pretty impossible to do anything except rebooting.
  • Had some issues with some programs, which is mainly due to incompatibilities between open2x and the F200. Nothing serious though.
  • GMU isn't working, as is reported by others too.
  • I really like the sound behaviour! No ear-deafening blasts when you start a game anymore. The only disadvantage of the new sound system is that as soon as gmenu appears, there's a (white) noise coming from the speakers. Besides, some games and emus don't produce sound. Either they produce white noise or nothing at all.
  • Had some problems starting Vice 2.0 x64 from the menu. It just shows the dreaded yellow screen and then exits again. However, it still started from the explorer. Could be a wrong default directory being set, but I haven't dug into it yet.
All counting up, I think open2x is going to stay on my F200! Even without the touchscreen, improvements over the official are so incredible that they easily count up for the few disadvantages.

Big thanks to the whole Open2x team!

Squirrel61 said:
[*]Had some issues with gmenu. I still had gmenu2x autoboot on my sdcard and that worked flawlessly. When I wanted to enter the open2x version of gmenu, I rebooted with the sdcard ejected until the menu appeared. So far so good. But when I inserted the sdcard to start some software and exited that software, the old gmenu loaded. Still nothing serious, but from that moment, something's getting nervous. The "tab" bar keeps flipping between two tabs, the menu keeps flipping between two icons and the lower right "power" icon keeps flipping between "battery" and "AC". It's pretty impossible to do anything except rebooting.
[/list]

I will look into the cause of this. It isn't exactly switching between tabs, it has actually managed to launch two instances of the menu which have different tabs selected and they fight for control of the screen. I've seen it before, but I thought I'd removed all the possible instances that could cause it. Maybe we need to add some code into the menu itself to stop it launching twice.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay took plunge to install this on F100; install went great

unfortunately the gmu mp3 player stutters on some mp3s arghh

apart from this known mp3 playback issue not found any other issues yet though only just installed will report back with any other issues

look forward to the new version!------> any ideas when that will be?

cheers open2x team :)

/edit 1/

arghh tv out does not work!! i use video in classrooms a lot so this feature is a must. lol i hope the archive will be back before i start work in jan!!

/edit 2/
aha luckily using the compat file TV out works great with this :)

Still not able to install this, the Open2X installer with "Press any key to continue" never even appears.
I have tried to reinstall the GPH 2.0.0 FW for the F100 console, Orkie's NAND Blanker and retry the installation process, but again the installer never appears. Goes straight to the progress bar and frezzes on Loading userspace.

EDIT: Works finally! Redownloaded the package. 20 943 215 Bytes versus 20 944 001. :p

peelie said:
/edit 1/

arghh tv out does not work!! i use video in classrooms a lot so this feature is a must. lol i hope the archive will be back before i start work in jan!!
Any more information you can offer about this? It works for me.

Orkie said:
peelie said:
/edit 1/

Any more information you can offer about this? It works for me.

hi

the screen appears like it is doubled? and if i select tvout again it quadruples?

hope that makes some sense!

Orkie said:
I will look into the cause of this. It isn't exactly switching between tabs, it has actually managed to launch two instances of the menu which have different tabs selected and they fight for control of the screen. I've seen it before, but I thought I'd removed all the possible instances that could cause it. Maybe we need to add some code into the menu itself to stop it launching twice.

Indeed it looks like a double-started gmenu. I even managed to get two games started at the same time, of course both non-playable because of the switching. And at one time I had both the open2x gmenu and the old gmenu appearing.

It looks to me like the gmenu sometimes doesn't close when starting an app/game/emu but instead staying active in the background and reappearing the same time the menu reloads after exiting the game. Hope that helps.

Something else, is it possible to include a low-battery alarm in the firmware? I've always found it very annoying that the gp2x just freezes and dies when the battery gets low, instead of giving some kind of pre-warning. I'm already thinking about adding some hardware that cuts off the power led a few minutes before the battery gets critical...

How fast does it boot? Anyone kind enough to time it or post a video?
Id re-buy one of the 2xs that are sure to be about in feb or so if it was really quick.

ignatz said:
How fast does it boot? Anyone kind enough to time it or post a video?
Id re-buy one of the 2xs that are sure to be about in feb or so if it was really quick.
Boot time for my f100 unit, flashed 10 minutes ago ;) : 18 secs, timed twice on an analog watch.

Also, under the settings, when I select "GMU settings" (first icon on the left), the unit hangs while displaying a screen saying "Launching GMU settings". The screen is chopped in half and switched (so the left half seems to be right and vice versa). Is this a known bug? I should learn how to read, sorry, it's getting late.

I applied the patch first, of course. Is the "runpatch.gpe" supposed to complete within one or two seconds?

The LCD seems a bit off. Is the colour daemon included? For example, LGPT v1.0a (little piggy tracker) almost has a yellow screen instead of white. Could be me though, I haven't touched my GP2x in months :eek:

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Sebastian said:
The LCD seems a bit off. Is the colour daemon included? For example, LGPT v1.0a (little piggy tracker) almost has a yellow screen instead of white. Could be me though, I haven't touched my GP2x in months :eek:

Anyway, keep up the good work!
I'll try to look into the LGPT problem this week. I will be making a LCD timings tweaker that might include A_SN's color daemon stuff as well to be included in Open2X. GPH removed that feature from newer firmwares for some reason.

Also will be looking into the GMenu2X-launched-twice bug.

There's no problem with LGPT, the developer changed the colour scheme in 1.0a.

Firmware continues to work great, everything runs without a hitch, thanks again guys :)

Alex. said:
There's no problem with LGPT, the developer changed the colour scheme in 1.0a.

Ah, you're right, my bad. It's just that, with the GP2x, depending on the viewing angle, the colour changes from yellow to white. I find that annoying.
However, does Open2x set the LCD timing to '1'? I get wavy lines across the screen. If I use the LCD tweak utility and set the timing to '0', the lines are gone. Could once again be my unit only :eek:

Its a tricky colour scheme to swallow on the piggy at the mo isn't it?
I think marc might be a bit colourblind...

get on the config files quick!

This all sounds a serious improvement. Kudos for keeping working on it.

Hi, I just installed the DR4 + patch on my First Edition, and it works very well :)
Boot time is faster than my previous 2.5 official firmware.

"USB SD" is working for me.

I'm now playing around with the integrated gmenu.

What is the "GMU" item ? it seems to freeze my GP2X ...

francykr81 said:
open2x on f200 pleaseeeee!!!!
however congrats for your fantastic work

If you can't wait, just like me, then you can install the current released version on your F200. It runs fine (with the same bugs as the F100 shows :D) and the only thing missing is the touchscreen. But you will like the sound volume!

If you don't like it, you can always return to your GPH firmware.

Run like a charm !
That's the most amazing stuff done on gp2x ! Thanks guys !

I currently used only one SD card so I filled gmenu2x entries with my favorites, but I planned to buy a new SD card soon, will I lost my gmenu config if I use a second SD card ?

The Question is:
Gmenu2x config is stored on gp2x or on each SD card used ?

Anyone knows ?

JeanLouSchmidt said:
Run like a charm !
That's the most amazing stuff done on gp2x ! Thanks guys !

I currently used only one SD card so I filled gmenu2x entries with my favorites, but I planned to buy a new SD card soon, will I lost my gmenu config if I use a second SD card ?

The Question is:
Gmenu2x config is stored on gp2x or on each SD card used ?

Anyone knows ?
I can be on either, open2x is installing it onto the nand. But if you have the autorun enabled you can run your own copy off the sd card.

Indeed, I also found out that my old gmenu2x from the sdcard was still running fine. But since it lacks the open2x extensions, I've re-created all links in the on-nand gmenu2x and disabled the autorun on the sdcard. But that also means that if you swap cards, the links will still be there but since they're referring to files on the card, they will be dead.

Btw. I think part of the dual-starting of gpmenu2x on my F200 was caused by the fact that the autorun was still active at that time, causing both the open2x and sdcard version to load at the same time!

Back