Open Source 3D Racers

I'm really not trying to troll here, I'm serious! Wakebreaker has most of the hard stuff done .. so if anyone reading this is thinking they'd like to get into a game development project for the Pandora, get the sources and have a look! It could be *quite* easy for a developer with the time to take this codebase and extend it into a working game.. A Mario-Kart clone, for example, should be *quite* easy to implement, and so on ..

It can be really irritating to hear you tell other people to make their own software for the Pandora.

You, who would fix the WiFi problems within two weeks

You, who would port a whole range of Audio applications

You, who has 2 Pandoras

You, who have done nothing

Pleng said:
The GoKart one looks ok. I'm slightly put off by the word 'simulator' but there's not much to simulate in a kart really :p
Here's what you need to do. Put a fan in front of you. Set up the fan so that the fan speed is regulated by D-Bus. Set up the kart simulator to send signals through D-Bus. It's simple really.

I have no idea what I'm talking about...Frankly, as long as OutRun works, I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's SuperTuxKart which just recently moved to Irrlicht, so you'd need to get an OGLES driver for Irrlicht.
The other concern is that it's not a very enjoyable game. -_- Camera angle is too low, the maps are too big, the kart can't steer right... It would be pretty decent if they tossed all the maps, rewrote the handling physics, and then made new maps based on that.

Also don't know if it supports networking, someone could try to add that but it would be a pretty big chore, especially if you want proper lag compensation.

I wanted to make a racing game at one point, but lacked the motivation. So there's one that doesn't exist.

Pleng: it was only a suggestion, geeze .. ignore it if you cant code. The WB sources are there for anyone who wants to pick up a working C++/GLES game project and do something with it. If thats not you, get over it. Maybe someone reading this thread will be interested, and then we all win if they pull it off. Whats the problem with that.

(BTW, I didnt do 'nothing' .. I ported WB and made it available, after all.. but this is a hobby for me, so I dont care really, if you dont like my "code it yourself" enthusiasm.. some coders will pick up the ball and run with it, and then if we get a new racing game out of it, you can thank them, I hope..)

I'd be fine if your 'code it yourself' enthusiasm was less of 'do as I say' and more 'do as I do'. So you ported a proof of concept engine? Big whoop. That's hardly something the average user can enjoy. What really irritates me about you is that you promised so much (really great) stuff for the Pandora, and have delivered so little. And whenever anybody else asks for suggestions of software they could investigate they get a 'do it yourself if you want it so much' post from you.

Well I hardly think its a bad thing to have a fully working GLES-using game with all that you need to build a 'proper' game - this is the hardest part of the startup stage for a project. Wakebreaker works, it just needs some love and can be turned into quite a cool project, if there is interest from capable programmers.

And now, Pleng, I haven't been doing anything on my Pandora projects for the last few weeks because I've had iPhone/iPad deadlines to meet, but now that my Macbook is dead (grr, Nvidia..), and since you're complaining about it, I'll get back to Pandora hacking this week and .. just for you .. try to release my synth project.

I always wanted to try this but could never find a download. If anybody knows where a copy can be downloaded that's be great.

lulzfish said:
There's SuperTuxKart which just recently moved to Irrlicht, so you'd need to get an OGLES driver for Irrlicht.
The other concern is that it's not a very enjoyable game. -_- Camera angle is too low, the maps are too big, the kart can't steer right... It would be pretty decent if they tossed all the maps, rewrote the handling physics, and then made new maps based on that.
I built STK for pandy a few months ago.
it was unbearbly slow. I had contact with the devel team. They were ready to create lower poly-count models. But I think the problem lay more within irrlicht performance (see chris_c thread about this) than anything else. As the main irrlicht devel is waiting his pandy, I hope there is a better Irrlicht in sight.

seb on holydays ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ultimatestunts - seems unfinished

tileracer - I like it. It's more advanced than ultimatestunts, but few years ago the source was closed. Author said that he will release it someday, maybe this happened.

torcs - is nice also

Back