Open Pandora in Aluminum case?

Would you buy an Aluminum case for the Open Pandora?

• Yes, price doesn't matter

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Yes, but no more than $100

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Maybe, how good is it?

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Maybe, will I get it within Two Months™?

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • No thanks, I like the black

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • No thanks, I will be happy with the new platinum black

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

I'm really not too sure how this matter relates to casings (if you want me to split it out to wherever it should be, if it is incorrectly placed, please say so and I will ;) ), but...

The direct competition isn't a form factor. It's a price point.
If the price point is the competition and not the form-factor, could you please point me to a suitable replacement, then? :) No telephones, no Android, no iOS; A pocket clamshell device with a keyboard and at least one SD Card slot (standard preferred, but microSD is also ok), no WiFi or game controls necessary, with a battery of life of a minimum of ten hours. My Pandora is mainly a writing tool, you see, and that's what I'd be after.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/11/16/142310104/why-amazon-loses-money-on-every-kindle-fire

I think we aren't planning on giving anything away or taking a loss. Why do we need to exit as we've just established stable production after years of development and redevelopment?

We don't make money other than the hardware and donations to developers. The margins aren't all that big with the hardware.

When multinationals corps with multi-million dollar budgets are taking a loss on electronics because they lock you in elsewhere, why do we? There are two programs for sale out of over 550, 3 if you include VVVVV and another dozen or so if you want full versions like DOOM & Quake etc.

If the price point is the competition and not the form-factor, could you please point me to a suitable replacement, then? :) No telephones, no Android, no iOS; A pocket clamshell device with a keyboard and at least one SD Card slot (standard preferred, but microSD is also ok), no WiFi or game controls necessary, with a battery of life of a minimum of ten hours. My Pandora is mainly a writing tool, you see, and that's what I'd be after.

You have to think about from a users point of view Prom. Most people today spending £400+ on a tech toy will buy a tablet, probably iOS. They will be happy with their toy and play with it a lot. They will find new uses for it other than the ones they bought it for then discard after a couple of years and buy something else.

The thing, for me, that makes the Pandora better than most tech toys is it will never date. The uses I have for it are completely covered in the available software.

It's immortal.

^ Actually, I'm asking you as a user! I'd very much like to see viable alternatives, especially if the unfortunate occurs and the Pandora 2 is not for me. I'm weighing things up in advance, as I sometimes tend to do. :p I've already had to cast out the Sharp Netwalker due to its poor battery-life, for example, but that's about the only other "competition" I've found.

As soon as I name an alternative you will name one, or more, things the alternative does not have/cannot do not taking into account what my, or others needs are. Feature dumping.

Seen that kind of 'discussion' more than once on many forums, as I am sure you have.

I won't be arsed replying and you will feel smug.

We all love our Pandoras but we are the minority. Doesn't mean we are wrong.

Most people today spending £400+ on a tech toy will buy a tablet, probably iOS.

Probably true. But then, for most people today spending £400+ on a tablet, the starting point will have been "I want a tablet" rather than "I want to spend £400+". I don't see how this counts as competition for something that isn't by the remotest definition a tablet.

As soon as I name an alternative you will name one, or more, things the alternative does not have/cannot do not taking into account what my, or others needs are. Feature dumping.

Seen that kind of 'discussion' more than once on many forums, as I am sure you have.

I won't be arsed replying and you will feel smug.

We all love our Pandoras but we are the minority. Doesn't mean we are wrong.
That's just plain offensive. In future, kindly don't make assumptions about me like that.

I only asked as your post indicated that you may perhaps know of alternatives (as you spoke of the competition being in the price, not the form-factor), and I am looking for them at this time.

Sorry Prom, didn't mean to offend you.

But in your reply before this you kinda already did what I said you would

I've already had to cast out the Sharp Netwalker due to its poor battery-life

Again, sorry :(

Anyway. Aluminium cases.

I'm thinking about buy a replacement case as my Rebirth Pandoras case is cracked.

Sorry Prom, didn't mean to offend you.

But in your reply before this you kinda already did what I said you would

I've already had to cast out the Sharp Netwalker due to its poor battery-life

Again, sorry :(
Apology accepted, but the poor justification of your assumption is not accepted. I was noting the Sharp Netwalker thing as part of pointing out that I've struggled to find anything, not because of your very rude assumptions.

But, I'm just going to leave it. Evidently I won't find any by asking around here.

I'd like to ask you for your hand in marriage.

Will you marry me Prometheus?

Hahaha... :lol: I'm already taken, sorry. ;)

My apologies for my poor temper.

Not to rain on the parade - but you're not likely to be able to print using Aluminium without a quite expensive unit - capable of laser precision spot-heats in the 1000*F range. Getting the powdered Aluminium isn't that hard - but it can become a handling issue. Powdered AL is a prime ingredient in several kinds of rocket fuel - and can be dangerous under some conditions.

Back to it though - printing isn't the only way to work this.

I think that if you're going to create a custom case for the Pandora - you might consider deviating from the existing case significantly.

Here is an idea for a hypothetical Pandora II metal/plastic hybrid case that I dreamed up. You're welcome to use or discard any of the ideas in there.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/7891-pandora-2-thin-it-down/#entry139996

The basic idea is to have a central plastic chassis piece and have the rest made out of thin stamped aluminum sheets. The screen surround works like a cheap stamped picture frame. The WiFi and Bluetooth both feed to antennas adhered to the back &/or front of the plastic center bit. Part of the idea was to thin down the controls - you can skip that part.

Even still - I could see with the right case the device could loose 3-4mm or so in thickness. Not much - but more than 10% of it's current profile.

It would be an interesting project. I'd considered making the central piece for a one off by hand carving it out of wood. I wish I had the time to work it, but lately I can hardly get used to a time zone.

^ Actually, I'm asking you as a user! I'd very much like to see viable alternatives, especially if the unfortunate occurs and the Pandora 2 is not for me. I'm weighing things up in advance, as I sometimes tend to do. :p I've already had to cast out the Sharp Netwalker due to its poor battery-life, for example, but that's about the only other "competition" I've found.
I know this is off topic, so will keep it short. Got some nice specs, 30GB HDD, camera, 1.1GHz. Only downside 3-4 hours on battery, according to the vid review

http://www.umpcporta...Labs/Flipstart/

Edit: According to Wiki "In Spring of 2008, FlipStart sold out and no new units were manufactured"... Awwww.

BTW - This was selling for £330 (ex VAT) at the end of the cycle

Back